1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Alright so I caved....M70 pre 64 30-06

Meridian Blades Oct 15, 2010

1. Meridian Blades

Meridian Blades Got Wood? Knife Maker or Craftsman

Yes I got that minty featherweight pre 64 model 70 Winchester in the 30-06....however the stock thats on there is not orig and has to be replaced.

So heres what I want to do. Send a block of exotic wood to someone to throw on one of those replicating lathes and have a stock made for it, thats the same as an orig stock.

Heres the hard part. I have the wood :devil1: Just wondering what it would cost in realistic terms? Anybody done something like that?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

Nope, mine had original wood and I shot the heck out of it before selling it for $600. I think if you turn your 'wood' into a custom stock it'll cost you a bunch, and then you'll want to do other expensive things, leading to a very expensive rifle worth a lot less than you have into it.

If it was me, I'd find either an original (or repro) stock., mount it, and shoot the piss out of it....no silk purses, no pigs ears, just a shooter while you're still alive to enjoy it. :semper:

That's what I'd do...as always, YMMV...

3. Meridian Blades

Yeah I agree, but it would be nice to have at least one silk purse. I have a few shooters, but I'd like to do a restore on this one. Thanks for your comments I appreciate it.

4. L R Harner

L R Harner They call me "Butch" Knife Maker or Craftsman

i wanted a stabilized buckeye burl thumbhole stock for my savage but boyds would not turn it for me

ended up with pepper laminate stock and its good to go

5. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

So you have a "few shooters." Are any of those a pre-64 Model 70 30-06? If not....

As noted, find an original stock, or just shoot it as is. You can dial it in as you like along the way, but these works of art do not require fancy gingerbread. They require loving owners and dedicated shooters.

That rifle wants to be shot, and lots.

Edit to note - this is post 6666 for me.

I was going to post about Mickley's tits, but somehow a Model 70 won out for me. As much as I love the idea of a good pair of boobies, there are a lot of boobies on the Devil, but not as many 30-06 Model 70's.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
  6. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

Congratulation Parker on three things:

1. Good advice to use a shooter!

2. 6666 posts! Lets sacrifice a goat!

3. Lastly, but certainly not least, having the moral fortitude and good sense to choose commenting on a Winchester and not a Manchester!!!!

7. Zero Gravitas

Zero Gravitas Huge member

Shaughnessy,

Rough estimates:
    Stock duplication: $280
    Final inletting and finishing: $600
    Simple checkering: $250

I used to do a lot of stockwork, but between family, job and home, don't have the time. I'll retire one day and pick it back up. BTW I never used a duplicator or a duplicating service - worked from a block. let me know if you want some help selecting the wood - Straight straight straight grain through the wrist and action.
    Old show off pics - restock of a Miroku 20 Ga O/U
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
    El Gringo likes this.
  8. Nmam

Nmam Average member

Those are great rifles. Like most everyone else, I'd just shoot it and enjoy !

That wood is beautiful ! Great work .:devilzeek

9. Meridian Blades

I am going to get a bid from Macons and just see where we end up. All I know is the stock on there is terrible. Gun hasn't been fired a lot, and so I am thinking a new stock either custom or original stock. I will let ya know what I find out. Thanks for the offer on the wood I think I got that covered. Heres what I was thinking....(obviously these are a little short, but you get the idea) :devil1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Meridian Blades

Macons = $175 but will need final fitting locally. Thought it would be more, but we'll see if this ever gets going I will post pics. Thanks for the input....L

11. Rover

Rover Rock N' Roll Outlaw JDBA Official Member

I say go for it!

I've never regretted putting money into a gun to get it where I wanted it to be. The more I like my rifles the more likely I am to take them out and shoot them.

Being a "shooter" and being attractive are not mutually exclusive.

12. Parker

Shaughnessy, it just occurred to me to look at where you're located - Twin Cities has a fairly high ambient humidity, maybe a laminated wood stock would be a better choice as a shooter, you do not want zero to migrate like the damned geese if you can help it.

13. Meridian Blades

Hey thanks for the comments on the gun, altho I'm still wondering what you were gonna say about Mickley's tits....

Well my "other" rifle is a Remington bolt and it has a synthetic stock. You're right tho, there is a little town up north called International Falls and it's "the icebox of the nation" and its the coldest spot in the lower 48.

I know you guys think Im being ridiculous and I should just go out and shoot the hell out of this rifle. Maybe I got brain freeze.... Just thinkin legacy piece, not many rounds through the barrel, "rifleman's rifle", and how I absolutely loathe straight grained stocks, especially the rinky dink one thats on there now.

If I could get a piece of exhibition Black Ash Burl and have it stabilized by WSSI and then turn that into a stock it would be the ultimate for me. Skip all the BS finishing oils and go straight to "sand and buff".... Of course the stock would weigh a ton and it would not be a "featherweight" anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2010
  14. Sheldon_Wickersham

I just picked up this little gem in Black Ash Burl - good choice, real eye catching!

-S

15. Meridian Blades

Sheldon that is a sweet blade, with a great looking handle....

Butch...Check it out. Stabilized CA Buckeye Burl, with Stabilized Black Ash Burl accents. Guy did it himself.....:devil1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Parker

THAT is a pretty 7600.

Is she 30-06? I passed on one in 30-06 which was a frigging STEAL for reasons of my own which I cannot call clever.

17. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

of course...

double dyed box elder burl, if you found a bit enough piece would work too...

[​IMG]
    A dagger Fred Rowe is building for me...

18. Meridian Blades

Yep 30-06 Gamemaster made between 1957 and 1959....Think it would be much easier to do two seperate pieces like on this gun tho.....Altho I've never done either, so who knows

Larry

19. Meridian Blades

Wow now that is a small world. Guess who sold Fred that Box elder Burl on that dagger right there.............:devil1:

That turned out really cool and Fred does outstanding work. Heres what it looked like before Fred performed his magic..............Its the one marked SOLD

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2010
  20. Sheldon_Wickersham

Ooooh gawd, now I've got that friggin' song stuck in my head again! 'It's a small world afterall, it's a small wor...'Pull!' :bwah:

p.s. Thanks...