1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Alpha Beast 3.0 Thick and Thin

chutcher Sep 4, 2019

1. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I occasionally hear people talk about the AB thick and AB thin. Can someone please explain to me exactly what the hell the difference is? I can pretty much deduce that one is thicker than the other, but how much of a difference? I get the impression that the thin was the very first run of the AB 3.0 and after that they were thicker. If this is correct, then why did BRS start making them thicker? Which flips better? Are there any other differences? WTF?

Shawnjohn999999 likes this.
  2. thatsagoodcut

thatsagoodcut Little Member

I've gleaned some knowledge from questions asked during livestreams with the makers; essentially everyone was used to the thin AB, and then when more 3.0s dropped something felt "off". I did some measurements myself and there is significant difference.

For example a thin AB weighed 4.80oz but a newer thick AB bowie weighed 5.01oz and had a lighter blade. This obviously changes the feel in that its not only heavier but the weight is distributed a bit differently.

The reason BRS gave (during a livestream with looseyfur) was that the titanium stock they used in later runs was a little bit thicker. Thats it. Thats was his reason. They used different stock and it happened to be different.

Some people prefer the thinner ones, some the thicker ones. BRS in the past has basically told people to get over it, and learn how to flip whatever it is they release, and not have a preference. Regardless of what their stance is though, some members of the community clearly have a preference for thin over thick. Some modders (hammer, rotten, etc) have in the past or do currently offer services to mill out spots in AB handles to lighten them up.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    chutcher likes this.
  3. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

I thought the thicks were only a run of bowie’s that were done with slightly thicker handle material stock.

chutcher likes this.
  4. thatsagoodcut

As far as I know the only thin run was the first run of 3.0, since then they've all been the thicker stock. Don't know for sure, but feel like its accurate.

chutcher likes this.
  5. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

When was the first drop of the 3.0s?

apdallaround likes this.
  6. apdallaround

7. apdallaround

late August of ‘15

late October same year they did 3.0 premiums with ano and pocket clip

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

screen shots from my album with dates at the top, photos just after delivery

this shows another point that early 3.0 standards didn’t have a crowned spine

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Balibuyer and chutcher like this.
  8. thatsagoodcut

Ah yea, forgot that detail about the early ABs having a flat spine, theres probably a few other differences.

9. Balibuyer

Balibuyer JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Nice records bro, damn. And I'm super jealous of the JD shit you have. Why doesn't JD have a little web store or something. I'd buy up tons of JD shit if I could to support this place.

apdallaround likes this.
  10. apdallaround

Message Mr.LaBella and see if he has any gear available.

11. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

That dude is on a yacht somewhere. He gives no shits.

12. apdallaround

no no
    he is cruising the trailer park pretending to be a repo man for blowjobs

13. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

Seriously, for the better part of the past year, he's been trying to buy a T-shirt from Ron. As of today, @Mr.LaBella STILL hasn't answered if he has one in his size.

If you wanna sell some shit, you needa let people know what ya got!

I know he's a busy man, but we've tried to get a straight answer since 09/14/18...

Linos and apdallaround like this.
  14. apdallaround

damn

15. Shawnjohn999999

Crogers. Wtf? Stop f ing around.

16. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

...I`ve heard he keeps the Tshirts in the same place he has the JD balisongs....

crogers and apdallaround like this.
  17. apdallaround

when Linos comes around he brings the ZINGERS:xxrotflma

crogers likes this.
  18. Shawnjohn999999

What? Where? Why?

19. Shawnjohn999999

Chachi is a cool dude

RexRippin likes this.
  20. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

I tried looking through that JD Gears thread and I ended up being more confused. I just want a white JD hat and some stickers. For the love of Gawd somebody help me!!!

***Or anything with a picture of that smirking JD devil (always loved that logo)

Shawnjohn999999 likes this.