1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Advise on drilling carbon fiber?

Colron73 Aug 2, 2017

1. Colron73

Colron73 Tiny Member

Recently baught flytanium handles for my 51. Got the ones with solid c.f. inserts. Im very happy with them but I noticed the titanium has pre-drilled holes in them. Originally I wanted to be different,but the holes keep calling to me! It would be nice to let the blue ano shine through. Does c.f. drill well without chipping,or should I leave well enough alone?

2. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

You can drill it. You probably want a drill press to make sure the holes are square.

desmodus likes this.
  3. Colron73

Colron73 Tiny Member

Good news,thanks!

desmodus likes this.
  4. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Make sure to wear a respirator and goggles.

desmodus and Linos like this.
  5. Colron73

Colron73 Tiny Member

Wow! Seems a bit excessive for a few small holes,though I have no doubt you know what your talking about! Valuable info. Thanks!!

stdlrf11 likes this.
  6. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Well, it's pretty toxic stuff. Especially if you grind it. Can't be to careful

stdlrf11 likes this.
  7. HonorHer

HonorHer Custom Knife Builder JDBA Official Member

it drills fine but it does have a tendency to leave fibers kinda waving on the exit if you dont use a sharp bit. but as every one said already use a drill press... you dont really need a respirator for drilling a hole thats mainly if youre sanding it and creating a dust drilling it is more along the lines of cutting a hole rather than sanding a hole but still better to be safe than sorry so to speak.

stdlrf11 likes this.
  8. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Y'all are probably right.

It's overkill for two small holes.

But I'd rather be safe, with at least a dust mask.

begreen61 likes this.
  9. Colron73

Colron73 Tiny Member

Actually,its 10 small holes. This is why the J.D. is the best forum on the net! Proud to be a part! Will be ordering tee's soon. Nervous as hell about drilling. Dont have another $200 if I fuck it up. But I figure if it doesn't turn out well I can pop out the inserts and it will probably look cool anyway.

begreen61 likes this.
  10. L R Harner

L R Harner They call me "Butch" Knife Maker or Craftsman

G10 and CF i drill and grind wet along with mask cause i hate that shit

stdlrf11 likes this.