1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed please

Kelper Aug 7, 2012

1. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

I have found all of Scott's knives which I had given to him.
    Some are in sheaths others are not, the question is, do I remove them from the sheaths, do I cover the blades in vaseline or anything like that to preserve the blades.

I have plenty of stuff here that we sold at the shop in the fleamarket to cover every angle.

Thank you in advance
    Kelper

2. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Depends on the steal and how much expose they are to humidity

3. S.Shepherd

S.Shepherd knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

personally, I'd store them out of the sheaths. Leather absorbs moisture, and can rust nonstainless or leave corrosion in stainless.

4. Soup_Monger

Soup_Monger Should be a custom title here

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  5. Edmonton_hunter

Edmonton_hunter leclairknives Knife Maker or Craftsman

+1
    never store knives in leather sheaths, the tannic acid used to tan the leather can corrode the steel.
    I store my knives with a light coat of renwax, in a well sealed rubbermaid container each in a plastic bag with silica gell (can be bought at photography stores ask for dessicant) in with them and also loose in the container. Storing them at a constant temp./humidity level is also a good idea.

6. Kelper

I do appreciate all the suggestions that have been made, will order some renwax as they will be stored indefinitely.

I just use his Bark River its a small one I gave him from the shop. We both loved the way it felt in your hand. He taught me so much when were in business.

I can even sharpen a knife had an old Smith and Wesson Scott told me what to do and I did. He gave me 10 out of 10 as I had both sides the same.

Scott's Almar is closed in the middle. Should I open them up also. He also had quite a lot of folders from Columbia River.

Sincerly Rosie

7. Soup_Monger

If you apply a light coating of renwax to the blades of the folding knives then they can be stored closed.

Personally... I would store them open with renwax applied... but it's up to you.

8. Kelper

I will take your advice on this Soup-Monger, I agree with you it feels the right thing to do. Scott thought a lot of you. Remembering your countdown to coming to the USA. We both followed your thread.

Rosie

9. clockwork477

clockwork477 Huge member

I have lots of desiccant packs if you need them. I would be glad to send some your way free of charge if it helps out. Send me a PM if your interested.

Kelper likes this.
  10. Soup_Monger

I thought a lot of him too, Rosie.

He will be missed by many here.

11. Kelper

Having great trouble opening one knife there has to be a trick to it'

The knife is a Kershaw Falcon Surve or it could be Survey, he used it a lot

It looks like a thumbstud but also has some kind of release on the top,

Any tips please

Rosie