1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

AB inifinities still available via retail, why???

bradenwright Apr 11, 2017

1. bradenwright

bradenwright Little member

Just curious. Normally there stuff is gone pretty quick (barebones being the exception). They are still available in both blade styles, and all 3 anodized colors.

Anyone know why... like maybe:
    (A) were they big batches?
    (B) do people feel they are too expensive?
    (C) do people not like them? they are a lot different than standard AB
    (D) Really don't think this is true, but is the AB market too saturated?

FWIW I snagged one and didn't like it at first b/c it wasn't like my AB, didn't feel as ass heavy/less momentum. But its also lighter and flips quick, rounded handles are really comfy.

Anyways, anyone have any: facts, opinions, humorous commentary

2. IAmNotARealBoy_

IAmNotARealBoy_ Iamarealcrybaby

A: Most likely

B: Not many people want to spend $470 on a knife, most prefer the standard AB anyway

C: It's too thin, the titanium is much thinner than that of a rounded or standard AB.

D: No, seems like there are not enough alpha beasts out there, seems like it's 90% Reps.

I've handled several standard, rounded, and infinities, The rounded and the infinity feel completely differently balanced. The infinity is too thin, and too flat. And the price tag is insane, there is less titanium being used for the knife than a standard AB, and I don't feel like a blade steel upgrade should be worth $100.

WSMaga likes this.
  3. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

finally scored a stock 3.0, will be able to see how the they all compare. well 3.0, premium and infinity

4. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Because the world is coming to end and we prefer to buy some crack instead?

sam eib and coll3ctor like this.
  5. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

i spent that, and after getting all of them in hand and light flipping, $470 is too much for the infinity. at best a $425 knife. I enjoy the premium more than the infinity.

6. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

The titanium is not thinner.... It is rounded so it definitely feels thinner than it is, but if each scale is 1/64" thinner, that's not gonna change the cost or the fact that in reality more money goes into rounding the knife than standard.

How is it too flat if it is rounded?

And in all honesty, you're getting factory rounding the maintains a warranty, the pocket clip, and an upgrade from 154CM to S35VN. If you use your balis as actual knives, it's very much worth the extra $90-100

But to everything else, yeah, there was more than the current demand for them was at as it is a high priced item. A lot of folks (particularly flippers) don't have the extra cash to spend on features they don't need.

But it's nice to have that option for folks that do, forsure. The upgraded steel was the real draw for me, and as it cost less to get from BHQ than it did to get my Specter with pocket clip and swing kit (which I did and still do carry daily), seemed totally reasonable to me personally.

Toxiatris, coll3ctor and desmodus like this.
  7. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

For the price point you can get an 87 and get Benchmade's LIFETIME warranty.

They will start to sit.

8. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

Yeah, I'm sure BRS is making hoards of cash off all the titanium being ground off onto the shop floor.

coll3ctor likes this.
  9. Linos

....Dear God......beam me up!!!!!

10. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

"But it's nice to have that option for folks that do, forsure"

This is it. For me it shows BRS is still thinking and being creative. Infinity won't sell like the cheaper models, but from my perspective, it was built for the dedicated serious flippers. May not be everyone's cup of tea. And 500 for a custom is a great price. I know flippers are not collectors but as long as a knife has that much work and materials (not to mention thought and design) in it, <500 is a bargain.

11. Dustygmt

I have no qualms about spending $400-$500 on a quality flipper. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There really isn't a whole lot out there in that price range that's comparable to the quality and flipability of alpha beasts and BRS products in general. Honestly, if a standard rep had a $500 msrp is still probably buy it.

coll3ctor likes this.
  12. BennytheBlade

Yeah-
    I think flippers are not used to the collector/custom pricing. While the infinity may not be a "true" custom (sole authorship/one guy doing all the work) it is as solid a midtech/custom as there is. Go ask korth, dobruski, baliballistic, terry guinn or any of the others for a <500 knife. From a collector perspective, it's a,bargain.

Looseyfur and Dustygmt like this.
  13. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

I bought one for the collection. had to let the premium go, some one kept raising their offer price. and ferro titanium is 3.58 usd/kg!

desmodus likes this.
  14. Dustygmt

I'm just a lil fuzzy on exactly what constitutes a mid tech, what exactly differentiates a regular production knife from a mid tech? I know it's a noob question so fire at will, but is an infinity classified as a mid tech because it is an altered version of a production knife. At what point do premium features being added cross over into the realm of mid tech.

coll3ctor likes this.
  15. Linos

...I would probably call it a limited edition production knife...if it was a Spyderco it would be a "sprint run" ...

Dustygmt likes this.
  16. BennytheBlade

It's not wrong for it too be confusing, because no one agrees on what the difference is. With water jet, laser, cnc machines, plasma etc becoming the status quo, it gets more muddled. Loosely, a custom is a sole authorship knife. One guy cuts the steel, grinds it, heat treats it, makes the handle, does the fit and finish work. Production is a large company making one batch of a knife, with multiple people involved. Midtech is in between. Sort of a customized production knife. I consider BRS midtech but they may have a different opinion and I am sure others do as well. Sorry for the off topic, but it's an interesting question to me.

17. Dustygmt

Let me see if I can really fuck things up here, if I sent an alpha beast to Matt Cook for modifications, would it then be considered a mid tech, custom or just a modified production knife. Does his involvement with BRS bear any significance on whatever term is applied or can joe schmo modify a knife and call it a mid tech. My gut tells me you'd have to be involved with the manufacturing process of said knife and make modifications to then offer for sale as a mid tech, correct?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    coll3ctor likes this.
  18. Linos

[​IMG]

coll3ctor likes this.
  19. BennytheBlade

It's super confusing and a very touchy subject for makers. If you want to piss off some makers, call their stuff mid techs because they had someone else CNC parts for their knives. Or better yet, say it's a mid tech because the machine "did all the work" lol, even though the maker programmed the machine.

to me, a midtech is in house customized, individualized knives off of a base knife. No 2 knives are identical... maybe only small differences, but they are there if you look for them. Aftermarket customization is just that, aftermarket customization. This is just my opinion, as you can go on blade hq and look at midtech knives and find plenty that look identical. A lot of these terms are just marketing and trying to upsell or justify a price.

But call someone's custom a midtech, or their mid-tech a production and you will get a hailstorm of hate

I think this got started years ago with the sebenza... somebody help me out with this @RNST

coll3ctor and Dustygmt like this.
  20. Dustygmt

Thank you BtB,
    It's just one of those terms I've seen over and over and never had any real clarification on it. Thanks, yours and others responses clear it up some.... I didn't realize it was a controversial subject...

coll3ctor and BennytheBlade like this.