1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

A Warning!

mack1 Mar 15, 2008

1. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

A message for all who have family members/friends in the Military!
    Copied from Sgt. Grit's Newsletter.

Terrorist Hackers
    I am the proud mother of an active duty Marine and also a part of a great organization here in Ohio - Marine Corps Family Support Community. It is due to something that came to our attention at MCFSC that I am writing. It seems that some of our Marines are now receiving photographs of their family homes - many times with the family present in the photo - marked with Arabic words. This apparently is the newest form of terrorism against our military, and most of it is coming from terrorist "hackers" getting the Marine's personal info and that of his family from things innocently put on the Internet.

Our group formerly had photos of our Marines in an honor gallery. Most of these photos had info about the Marine and his/her family. We have now deleted this information from our site, but I wonder how many others there might be out there. I thought that your newsletter might be a good way to inform a vast number of Marines and their families. I would even go so far as to advise that any Marine or his/her family member consider changing their e-mail addresses if their address includes an "identifying" factor within the address. (ie: last names, city of origin, etc.) Many of the families within our group have already considered this threat to some extent and are very careful to not include last names, stations, etc in their e-mails to or about their Marine; but many of these same families had not considered the fact that their last name is very evident within their e-mail address!

It is unfortunate that we PROUD families have to consider these things and must to some extent "curb our enthusiasm" for our Marine, but their safety is (as it should be) our first priority! If our Marines are distracted by their concern for their families, this could mean the difference between life and death for them. I believe there was a quote from a Marine Wife recently in one of your newsletters about "loose lips sinking ships", well we as the extended family of a Marine must make this our mantra too!

Marines regardless of their "security" potential, should consider deleting any and all specific identification information on web sites such as MySpace or Facebook, etc. The info that MCFSC received indicated that these type of sites are where these terrorists are getting a lot of their information.

Again, use this letter only if you feel it appropriate. I'd appreciate it, if you use it, if you would edit any reference to my full name from the "byline". You can sign me,

A Concerned Marine Mom

Thanks!

Please pass it on!
    Thanks!
    :jdwink2::mack::mack:

Katwyld and RoadFish like this.
  2. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

You have brought up something that I have been thinking about and have discussed with my army son. I actually went back and took some photos out of some posts. My son brought another point to my attention. I live abroad and have a "My Son is in the U.S. Army" bumper sticker on my car. He asked me to, for my and my wife's safety, to remove it. I haven't yet, as I am too proud of him. :chuck:

3. Katwyld

Katwyld Devil Doll Lady Devil

Too sad, really, but a good warning nonetheless...

4. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

Roadfish, pride or not, it'd probably be a good idea.
    Considering you're on "Foreign Soil".:ropeman::ropeman::ropeman::mack:

5. Drill Sergeant

Drill Sergeant Huge member

God bless America and all who are protecting our freedoms. This includes the families of those on active duty.

Your sacrifices are appreciated. You are loved and respected by true patriots everywhere.

You are our heroes.

6. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

When I would go on R&R from over there , we were encouraged to say that we were Canadian if confronted while in foreign countries.
    To which I replied " Suck my dick ! "
    OpSec included removing return addresses from mail we recieved before it went to the local dumps so this info would not fall into the wrong hands.
    But there is a point that I would never concede........ I am an American citizen and damn proud to say so.
    There is a small threat presented by exposing our identies no matter what our involvement or location because there are predatory poeple out there.
    Guess what ? They don't all wear sheets.
    Don't dig a hole you can't jump out of would be my advice.
    There is more to fear from people reading the news paper about your wedding or funeral announcements.
    They may not kill you , but won't hesitate to rob you.
    There is enough to fear in every day life and it is compounded by addition of family members to the equation.
    Adding to these fears with the marginal and or dubious threats is pointless.
    Points to consider........... #1 these people we brand as terrorists may be fundamentalist lunitics , but are essentially cowards.
    As related to me by one who knows , you hit them once and they cry like fucking pussies.
    #2 there are a lot more of us than there is them.
    Confront the threat with something they understand .........the threat of a swift and violent response will neutralize it immediately.
    Take their shit and you'll be eating it for life.
    J.S.

Peter Lezard likes this.
  7. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

Ya, the ol' bumper sticker is staying on. :chuck:

8. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

Good point, T!

But as far as the families are concerned, perhaps a little prudence is in order.:jdsmokin::mack:

9. culpeper

culpeper Devil May Hare

This is a military OPSEC matter.

10. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

I taught them to shoot , drive and consider their options.......... I'm not worried.
    In a perfect world , I'd be there .....but they are both intelligent and capable.
    J.S.

11. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

Not all of us have that option, T.
    My son doesn't have half the interest in knives that I do, and no interest in guns whatsoever, unfortunately.:ssad::G3::G3:
    But intelligence, he's got!:mack:

12. supert

supert Huge member

Can anyone verify that this is authentic? There's so many chain letters and such that have been debunked.

If it is real, God help the fucker who messes with any Marine families that I know.

13. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

As I stated, it was copied/pasted from the most recent Sgt. Grit Newsletter I got.

Pissed me off!!!:mack: