1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

A sad thing indeed

tubtar Sep 12, 2010

1. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

Today , it was time for one of ours to make the trip to Puppy Heaven.
    Our Daughter Danielle picked her up as a stray and she had obviously been used as a puppy mill.
    Of indeterminate age , she had no teeth when we got her........but was probably only seven or eight at the time.
    And Judy commandeered her as her own some seven or eight years ago.
    Her name was Baby , but I called her Chakkie for her chewing motions whenever she knew a treat was forthcoming.
    I never much cared for little dogs until she won me over , so I am bummed.
    Judy is devastated.
    There are some people I genuinely disliked on this planet.......I don't know of a dog I can say that about.
    So yes....I am a dog guy.
    My big Pup , Alfie , is not too far behind.
    His hips are shot and he has a fair amount of difficulty getting around , but he isn't in any pain that I can tell.
    And I hope I have the courage to make the same call that Judy did today when the time comes.
    A very sad thing indeed.
    Baby.........who had no teeth to hold her tongue in and looked like a canine Gene Simmons most of the time.........we miss you Girl.

2. HotrodKelley

HotrodKelley Brigade Member Brigade Member

I'm sorry. That sucks.

3. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

sorry to hear your loss bro .

4. snjc74

snjc74 Devil Transport/Fruit Plate

Losing a dog is always a tough thing. Sorry my friend.

5. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

You have my sympathy for your loss John. I wish I knew something to say to make it all OK, but this is the best I got. You and yours are in my thoughts.
    all da best,
    rats...

6. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Bummer John. Yorkie...?

7. SuperD

SuperD Sebbiephile

Much condolance my friend. I had to bury our first dog Shadow last year. While it of course does not compare to the loss of a human family member, it is very emotional none the less. Shadow was around 12 and was a black lab. Very sweet and loving. She has been missed. Our oldest now is a Golden Retriever we rescued from the pound several months ago. We named him Max as the pound had no info on him, he was a stray. They said he was 6 or 7 but I think this is a significant underestimate. He is a very sweet dog. He was house broken and lease trained from day one. We love him very much and it will be a sad day when he passes. Dogs (and cats I have now learned) can often be much more pleasant to be around than people. They truely love you unconditionally. That is a very rare trait in humans.

Again, much condolace my friend.

David

8. RyanA

RyanA El Burro Diabolico

Well, she had a good long run. It sounds like that wouldn't have been possible without you. You did a good thing. Condolences. -Ryan

9. sickboy

sickboy Marsupial Brigade Member

I REALLY feel for you. My dogs are 2 years old and 1 and 1/2 years old. I cannot imagine a day without them. Sorry, man. The best medicine would be to go out and get another one tomorrow......

sickboy

10. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

Yep.
    Thanks all.
    I have never had to make the call myself before , but have out lasted three dogs of my own so far and when they go , it is heart wrenching.
    Baby was Judy's dog.
    Sailor was the first in a long line of sheep dogs........he saw 16 yrs.
    House dog and raised with the six boys in our family , so he was plenty active.
    Mullican was next ........ 11 years old and developed tumors on his balls.
    I took him to the Vet to have them removed and he died on the table.
    I like to think he looked down and saw his nuts were gone and went into cardiac arrest.
    Then was Dirty Harry Callahan........got him off the show room floor and he was non stop problems.
    Epileptic and a chewer , he lasted 18 months and died the day of my younger Brother Dave's wake.
    I was in enough pain at the time that it barely registered.
    Alfie was a dog rescue deal and we just got lucky that a sheep dog was available.
    He was 40 pounds lighter than he should have been at nearly 2 yrs. old and looked like he had been to doggie Dachau when we got him.
    The story went that he was one of a pair of sheep dogs that this fuck head had and the other dog would not let him near the food dish.
    Who's the Goddamned master here ?
    We got him healthy in short order and then the former owner asked about coming out to visit him.
    I threatened to kill him and that was the last we heard from him.:bwah:
    But I do get attached to them.
    They have always been happy to see me and that is enough for me.:devil1:

11. Travis B.

Travis B. Southern Devil

Sorry for your loss John. We lost 2 this year that we have had for a long time.

12. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Very sorry to hear this John. Please accept my
    condolences and please pass them on to Judy
    and Danielle. You know I'm sitting here with
    tears in my eyes and I've had to say goodbye
    to several of my 4-legged buddies over the years.
    It doesn't get any easier!

For what it's worth, I could say this about every
    one of them critters as I'm sure you could say
    about 'Chakkie'

I never knew…

I never knew what a good dog I had
    until you were taken from me.
    The good Lord above… he took you home
    and left me with a broken heart.
    You were a friend to me all of your life
    and stayed by my side through it all.
    I considered you my very good friend
    now I’m lost without you sitting by my side.
    You saw me through the good times and bad
    and never once did I hear you complain.
    I’ll end this now but will never forget
    the dog that brought so much joy to my life

Clydetz 11/9/2009

tubtar likes this.
  13. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

Sorry to hear this sad news....it`s always tough to say goodbye.

14. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Devil's Advocate

My condolences JS :ssad:

15. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

sorry tubtar.

dogs are like shooting stars, they burn bright and fast.

16. hangtime

hangtime eccentric orbit

man . . .

its a rough thing to try and handle. Most of us dog people have been there more than once and it never gets any easier. My condolences to you and yours.

17. HotrodKelley

HotrodKelley Brigade Member Brigade Member

tubtar likes this.
  18. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

Missing old dogs....

Ah, man... I'm sorry, JS.

The death of a good dog is a rough thing to endure.

I like to think I'm a pretty tough guy, but in 2003, I had to put my rescued dog Velcro (named because she was always leaning against me) down, and it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.

My house mate at the time found her starved down in 1997. She wasn't far from death, and it was a near thing for a while. I was laid off that summer, so I was the one feeding her, bathing her and babying her back to health. In the course of a week or so, she became MY dog. The room mate didn't like it much, but that's just the way it was. She tolerated and liked him (as she did pretty much everybody), but she loved me with a fierceness that both surprised and humbled me. I hope to someday be half the man she thought I was.

She was in obvious pain toward the end, and I probably let her go on longer than I should have, but I had a hard time making that call.

When I finally knew I HAD to, we went out in the field behind the house where she loved to run when she was younger. When she laid down, I dug the hole near her. She dozed near me as I dug, and I carried on a (admittedly one-sided) conversation with her, reminiscing about the good times we had, and what a good girl she was.

When it was dug, I put her favorite blanket on the passenger seat, and we drove to the vet. He came out, opened the door and tossed the muzzle he'd brought out (she's a Doberman) aside, and said "Wow, she's an OLD girl".

I answered, "Yep. And she's the best dog I ever had." With her head on my knee as I rubbed her ears and told her what a good girl she was, I don't think she ever knew that he was there.

When he went back in, I sat with her a moment, then carefully folded her blanket over her, and drove home.

I kept telling myself, "This is just a dog, this is just a dog," but about halfway there, I started getting pretty teary-eyed.

I've had people say that I was cruel for digging her grave with her there. I knew that I'd be in no shape to do it once she was gone, and she was content lying there in the sun near me.

It was July 28, 2003 when I put her down, and I still grieve about it some. I've had dogs since (and have two now), but she was the smartest, most loyal dog I've ever had the luck to be near.

So, RIP Chakkie, and RIP Velcro.

Parker and tubtar like this.
  19. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

I lost my childhood dog to arthritis in the neck. We couldn't touch his head anymore without causing him excruciating pain. I now have two four legged hair factories. One was mine from a pup (female Jack Russell)...came with me from Chicago over to the Netherlands back in 2001 and is of course still by my side here in Norway. My wife had a dog when we met in 2003 (lab cross, big brown dog), so we have two. Both are pushing 12 years old, so I feel this.

Our boy already loves them. I am afraid these dogs will be his first real lessons in loss.

Best wishes from Norway.

obi

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2010
  20. sandwich

sandwich Brigade Member Brigade Member

I'm sorry for your loss tubtar :ssad:

I can't imagine the day my dog passes. He's my first dog and he's 5 years old as of yesterday. On average for his breed, he has just hit the 1/2 mark of his life. I'm already upset that it's at least half over and I don't even want to know what it's going to be like to lose him. Dog's are such good friends, and give such unconditional love and enjoyment to their owner.