1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

A question of etiquette

rock3r4life Sep 18, 2021

1. rock3r4life

rock3r4life Sir shtablington

Long story short, I want to make my Katana literally mirror polished; what you get from the factory on a sub 50k sword is usually not glass-like, and maybe I am attempting the improbable/impossible. I know of a prof polisher that theoretically would bring my blade to ├╝ber shine for like $100 an inch (of a 28in blade) using the old fashioned Japanese style polishing (finger stone and the like) but technology has come so far and it's not a Masamune blade,
    And I have loads of time, but my patience level is probably non-existent and I'm worried I'm just making a semi acceptable finish worse.

I have lots of wetstones, a Ken Onion worksharp blade grinding attachment, and in theory that should work, but I am concerned the geometry will be messed up. Katanas may look flat from the edge to spine but have a SLIGHTLY convex edge, called the niku (Japanese for meat)

I had a brief thought I could design an addition to the blade grinder to keep the curve in check; think like holding something under a moving belt to keep it from curving so much, but the hypothetical longevity of that would be in-ideal. Perhaps I am just loony.

snache likes this.
  2. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Perhaps and this is my assessment to help, grab a small blade like 3-4 inches and try to make it shine like a mirror , is a lot fkkk work to be honest that will help you to give an idea how much time and patience you need for a 28 inch blade.Heres a knife I was working on this is 1000grid polish, there is a few marks that I cleaned up by the edge already but is just a quick pic.

Attached Files:

snache, begreen61 and rock3r4life like this.
  3. rock3r4life

rock3r4life Sir shtablington

Roughly how long did that take you?

And with my sword I was told to start at 600, got that and went up, stopping around 10k but I feel/know it has much more potential than the shine it's giving. Hate being impatient , and I hate the fact it hurts typing this because 2 digits are now covered in band-aids. Why oh why do I have to like/enjoy risky and potentially painful things.

snache and begreen61 like this.
  4. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Well 400 sound better then 600& 800, it took me at least 6 solid hrs, 10k??? What you making a rolex?? Dude is a sword 2000-3000 with a buff is plenty good.

snache likes this.
  5. snache

snache Should be a custom title here

How about some pictures?