1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

A Prototype Steak Knife...

Stuart Mitchell Jun 6, 2015

1. Stuart Mitchell

Stuart Mitchell knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Over recent weeks I have been making a prototype steak knife for a Michelin* establishment here in the UK, The Raby Hunt Restaurant, I managed to get it finished off a couple of days ago and the clients now have it, I thought you might like a look...

Assuming the prototype was accepted and any knives ordered it was yet to be decided what steel the actual knives would be made from, Japanese Suminagashi was favoured by the client at that time, I wanted to make the prototype in some of my SF100 stainless however, so I did because I had a plan :madaddy:

The materials selected to marry to that were nickel silver, for the bolsters, I was keen on NS instead of stainless for the bolsters as I can imagine how it'll look after wear and use, being relatively soft it'll adopt a gentle planished look, I like that, I also had a section of ancient Caledonian Forest Bog Oak, the timber over 2000 (maybe as much as 9000) years old and was supplied by my mate and fellow knife maker, Chris Grant...

The brief was to create a talking point but also a knife that could just as easily be used as a hunting/outdoor knife as it's intended table use and have the look and feel of a hunting knife...

I really like this for those reasons, sure it is a table knife but it is a proper steel with proper HT, it has a tapering tang and utilises the best quality materials, all put together nicely, it would be just as comfortable in the field as it will be the restaurant...

There are a few WIP photos in here too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I would be more than happy to slice my steak, or gut my deer, with one of these knives. :devilzeek

Looks good. I believe the restaurant will be well pleased. :thumbsup:

3. Stuart Mitchell

Me too, me too...

They seem very pleased, they just ordered a few for an event they have coming up anyway...

Thank you :thumbsup:

4. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Wow! You definitely have it "going on", buddy! :clap:

5. Stuart Mitchell

Cheers mate... :jdwink2:

6. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

Very nice! :thumbsup:

7. Winter

Winter Rampaging Sausage Knife Maker or Craftsman

Beautiful knife.

How much do these guys charge for a steak when they have $200 fucking steak knives?

8. voimakas

voimakas JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

That's gorgeous. Wow.

9. Blastermaster

Blastermaster Huge member

I see you have never eaten at a restaurant by Jeff Ruby:madaddy:
    http://shop.jeffruby.com/steaks
    60 bucks for a 16 oz steak? People can charge crazy amounts for premium steaks these days. Is it good? hell yeah. Is it worth 60 bucks? That's in the eye of the consumer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  10. Stuart Mitchell

Some done...

[​IMG]

And in use...

[​IMG]