1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

A little bit sharper?

Psittacosis Oct 10, 2007

1. Psittacosis

Psittacosis A Shōgun

I have had Global knives for around 10 years. Slowly built up the collection. I sharpen them using the global stone and a diamond steel. However, as sharp as they are I know I could do much better.

[​IMG]
    Sorry about pic. Taken at night very quickly.

So, baring in mind I live in the UK and some of the kit needed is not always available, Have you devilz got any tips and tricks to getting these knives super sharp AND how to give them a good polish to remove all the marks and scratches I have made while sharpening.

Thanks.

2. Andy

Andy Mostly Harmless

wet&dry paper on a mouse mat (lube mousemat with WD40 or similar)

I've sharpened loads of global knives in this method. Up to 2k grit I use the soft side and have most of the blade in contact. Up to 10k I use the hard side and have less in contact and also use less pressure. Then strop
    If you can tell when you started cutting the tomatoe then it's not sharp enough yet.

These edges also stand up to my pop bottle test
    [​IMG]

rudechuck likes this.
  3. mfaster7

mfaster7 aspiring sheathmaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Where do you get 10K paper? The best I have is 2.5k

4. Andy

Andy Mostly Harmless

5. Psittacosis

Psittacosis A Shōgun

Thanks for the tips. I have read your info in your sig link before as well :wes:

Am I haveing a senior moment or is it really £65.45 per sheet? for the P2000 Linkything

This technique has also been told to me by The General. I should give it a go. Perhaps I should go to the pound shop and buy a couple of cheap knives to blunt first :wes:

6. Andy

Andy Mostly Harmless

Global knives are fairly easy to sharpen in this mannor. Just remember to put some marker on and get the angle right with some dry fine grit before you start removing lots of metal. This means any damage you do while finding theright anglewill be minimal.

Yes the prices don't seem right to me. I think I paid about £0.42 per sheet up to the micromesh sheets at £2.50 or so each