1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

A CALL TO ARMS: Resources and a little help

RoyalM May 13, 2016

1. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

Ok, some of you may have seen the demise of the Grind In thread. Well after finally going to one I am not happy with letting it die without a fight.

This is where I need to draw on the collective knowledge of the group.

I'm going to keep this simple and ask a few questions that should have fairly straightforward answers with which there may be hope of planning some sort of Grind In.

1) How much would 20 pre-heat treated blanks of A2 cost? (Dimensions would be 2x14x0.25" or 2x14x0.125")
    2) How much would 20 pairs of red or black micarta handle slabs cost? (Dimensions 5x2x0.75")
    3) Using a 2x72" grinder, going from a pre-heat treated blank to a finished knife, how many belts would this normally take?

If I can get the above we can look at what the very lowest price of overheads would be. Added to that of course would consumables like drill bits, glue, pins etc.

I encourage you all to share these questions, get the community involved and try and really help the forum out on this one.

2. mag1

mag1 No More Mr. Nice Guy Brigade Member

i dont know the answers, but I am in!

3. Meridian Blades

Meridian Blades Got Wood? Knife Maker or Craftsman

So here's my take on it........

If we had let's say 4-5 styles in different blanks in A-2 or whatever steel we are wanting........ with the HT already done and the holes already drilled, it would be the way to go.

You really don't want to drill pin holes after HT.

Handle materials are not an issue....

Thinking about the rest.......

4. Bobasan

Bobasan Brigade Member Brigade Member

I am wondering about sheathes. I can knock out a pretty fancy Kydex sheath for a medium sized knife in about 30min but leather takes me hours.

5. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

This is a good chance for the JD to rise above.

I didn't follow closely enough and am surprised to hear that the event was NOT a JD event, but a BRKT event. I always thought it was something that Mike did special for us. Now I understand the less than enthusiastic response to the whole thing despite the amazing photo list of knives made.

I am impressed that anything at all is happening, so I hope you guys can keep the momentum.

obi

6. RoyalM

I hear you on the not drilling a HT'd blank part.

As for the different styles and steel options then that's where it gets to be a pain in the ass trying to cater for everyone. There's always one guy who wants a tanto, gut hook, recurve blade.

If we had a catalogue you could pick from and either order it to the workshop we will work from or bring it along with you then I'd be up for that.

7. Meridian Blades

Yep that is always the issue, with group consensus.....LOL Considering that constraint, I would say that would be part of the deal for this go round. Folks would need to be ok with picking one of the 4-5 designs.

Bob I would be ok with white paper sleeves like the old days.... and people can have a sheath made later.

The real issue we face is the location.... and machinery to accommodate 20-25 people. I sent a PM to Tracy to get his thoughts on a North of Mankato get together. Will post updates when I hear back....:manganr:

8. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

We could talk to Aldo about steels.

9. Meridian Blades

Yes....

10. Bobasan

Bobasan Brigade Member Brigade Member

No sheathes certainly opens it up. On the machinery side I'd be quessing at around 8-9 to get folks through quickly. Having to profile a hardened billet takes a bit more time. As for the buffing probably two full series of stations. Quite a bit of equipment and a place to fit it all...

11. RoyalM

My thoughts were 4 grinders would be plenty. It depends on if we're going from stock or blade blanks I guess. That's 3-4 blades in a day so call it 2 hrs of grinding per knife. Seems plenty.

I've made he assumption that preheat treated is the way to go as best treating may be beyond some shops or be time consuming.

Sheaths I think we can pass on. Personally I like kydex but I know some don't want their blade scuffed up. I just don't think we could get leather turned around quickly enough.