1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

a bowie for a hog hunt

Lon Humphrey Sep 17, 2011

1. fisherking73

fisherking73 Little member

Definelty enough sharp stuff to stick a pig LOL Most importan thing is a good solid blade and definlety looks like you got that covered and then some. What kind of grip/handle are you putting on it? Something with good grip I hope, no slippin when you stickin!

2. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

Lookin good Lon!

Lotta work in the Guard!!

Not sure how your gonna get a hog with it as them Porkerz are gonna see that knife and Run!!

3. Lon Humphrey

Lon Humphrey Moderator Knife Maker or Craftsman

natural canvas micarta bead blasted to roughen it up so no slippage

the guards done waiting on the glue to harden up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011
  4. 321sold.biz

321sold.biz Better than gold or platinum

Hell Yeah!! Looking good!

Check this awesome knife I just got!

LINK

5. Lon Humphrey

thanks solidbiz

6. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

Love the guard. Coming along very nicely!

7. Lon Humphrey

thanks bro
    that guard was a BITCH! but im happy with how it turned out and with the whole knife too

[​IMG]

321sold.biz likes this.
  8. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

Yeah I bet it was.

Damn man that is just perfect.

More pics!

9. Scout

Scout Huge member

Horrible looking knife, not for me at all!

Just kidding. Knife is awesome and works as intended.....to put it diplomatically.

[​IMG]

It did exactly that with virtually no resistance at all. Took me by surprise, that the knife went in like through warm butter.

You created the right tool for the job.

10. Scout

Scout Huge member

I went for the area just behind the front leg. From above and at a slight downward angle. Worked the knife around a bit. Worked just as intended. Sliced clean through the heart on one pig.

11. Scout

Scout Huge member

Initially I wanted an "S" shaped traditional looking guard, but after seeing this and using it, I prefer this guard by far.

Not only does the guard work 100%, it also places the knife in a class of its own....along with the rest of the features of this Lon Humhrey Bowie.

12. Scout

Scout Huge member

I can bear witness to the fact, that there is no slipping of the handle in use at all. Neither does it twist or turn when pig sticking.

A sub-hilt would have been one way of making sure of a secure grip, but Im not keen on the sub-hilt design.

Lon and I talked it over and went for a Micarta grip and a hollow ground guard. I wrap a finger over the guard and rest a finger on the choil.

I wanted it that way, because there might be a lot of sweat, blood etc when sticking a pig...and there was a lot of that!

Knife/handle design worked as intended though. No slippage at all, though goves/hands were soaked in blood.

I would not go back and change a single thing on the knife....even if i could.

13. Vendetta23

Vendetta23 Little member

Pig Stickin

Always been interested in fair fight hunting. Love dogs too much to put them in that kind of danger, even if it is what they were bred for. Thinking about using a net with weights on the corners or something. Input would be welcome as I've never done it but want to :madaddy:

14. Clint

Clint Advocatus Diaboli

Fair?

You - the pig - your teeth!

That's FAIR! :wolfy:

15. Scout

Scout Huge member

You got that right, Clint!!