1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

a bowie for a hog hunt

Lon Humphrey Sep 17, 2011

1. Lon Humphrey

Lon Humphrey Moderator Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hey all I know I’ve been going nuts with the Brute De forge hunters but here is one for all you bowie guys ill be sure and get some good pics of this when I’m done with it

Its actually going to be a user a guy from Denmark is going to hunt wild bore with it. This one is a time critical job he’s going to be here in about 3 weeks

[YOUTUBE]c0FlONhRqtU[/YOUTUBE]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2011
  2. goober

goober Average member

Have you heard of vacations? Thanks for sharing the "glamorous" side of knifemaking with us!

3. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

That should do it!

4. Lon Humphrey

as far as i know a vacation is a knife show :)

Stabber likes this.
  5. DaBird

DaBird Sasquatch Bali-ho

Nice sticker blade there Lon --- looks like it will just slide between the ribs if need be.

6. Lon Humphrey

it should cut the ribs too :) i think im going to do a wicked hamon on the one just for practice

7. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Awesome, gotta love the hog huntin....

8. Clint

Clint Advocatus Diaboli

I've never hunted hogs but Gramps showed us how to butcher pigs old school back in the 70's.
    He used a long bladed kitchen knife and pushed it in where the neck and shoulder meet. He sliced the juggler and we tried to catch the blood. Is this the same target area or is it different when hunting hogs in the wild.

9. Lon Humphrey

not sure i think the goal is to stab them in the heart either way you gotta have balls to go after a wild boar with just a knife

10. DaBird

DaBird Sasquatch Bali-ho

From the vids I've seen and hog hunting sites -- almost 99% of the time , dogs are used. After the "catcher dog" gets the hog by the snout , the other dogs get it where they can -- then the hunters come in and stab the hog up from underneath in the front leg / shoulder area.
    Goes into the heart and lung area is my guess but the pig only kicks a few times after a good stab. Most I've seen "pump" the handle of the knife and then withdraw it and stab/pump it at least one more time.

EDIT --- BALLS is right -- BUT -- do a search on youtube for " female/women hog hunts" --- there is one that has a group of like 5 TEXAS GIRLS that get two hogs and no men are shown in the vid at all !!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
  11. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Some folks use spears! Me, I use a .44mag carbine...

P.S. We don't use dogs..

12. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

That sticker looks like it will dispatch El Puerco with little problem....

Way back when, we hunted the hedgerows along the East Texas/Western Louisiana border (usually during a full moon :-), using large-caliber handguns (with a 12. ga. backup), and Jackson`s Blue-Tick Coonhounds to run `em down. I still get a rush when I recall crawling through the "hog tunnels" in that heavy brush, adrenaline running full-tilt, the dogs ahead of us, howling to beat the band....made the hair on the back of my arms stand straight up.
    Afterwards, we passed around a bottle of whiskey, while we used lit cigarettes to get the ticks off each other....(strange ritual, hog hunting).

13. Allen Newberry

Allen Newberry knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Looks like it ought to do the job!

14. P. McKinley

P. McKinley knifemaker formerly known as "Dacks" Knife Maker or Craftsman

Lon - That's an awfully fine blade you've produced there!

I'm a bit curious..... your sanding position. I suppose everyone develops they're own method, but it looks a bit uncomfortable, non-ergonomic.

I began experiencing some rather profound tingling and numbness in my shoulder and left arm(called "radiculopathy") that the doctors and I believe is due, in part, to my previous sanding position which was similar to yours. My position has now evolved to the point where my blade rests nearly level, about stomach-high. Works for me.

15. Lon Humphrey

thats good to know i thought i was having a strange heart attack or something :)....my right side is all fucked up from hammering all the time i really think that's where most of mine is coming from ...i tried the sanding closer to stomach level i couldn't get enough leverage to remove any steel

16. Mysto

Mysto Average member

Your nuts...! I hog hunt with a Bow AND with a 10mm pistol as a back up.

17. Fort Henry Custom Knives

Fort Henry Custom Knives dealer Knife Maker or Craftsman

Very cool. Great start on this one!

Keep us updated!

18. Lon Humphrey

yes i am :) you have to be to make knives

now that sounds like a great saturday night!

19. Lon Humphrey

ok so its crunch time for this beast, A Mild Steel guard, i decided to do a guard with some "BALLS" because when you hunt hogs with a knife you better have a pair

i recently got a copy of "The Bowie Knife" and there was a knife in there from a english make with a guard similar to this one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. rmbonham

rmbonham Little member

went spearing hog once! Got A Hog! Filled my shorts!

P.S. never tire of seeing and hearing about work. love it...