1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

Has anyone done aerials with this knife? I m trying to screw up the courage.

Justin McNeill likes this.
  2. Blurred Memories

Blurred Memories JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

This guy has: < Footage >

Flipping segment feels like a paid promo though.

3. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I think Stumpy is a big 87 aeriel guy. :alcoholic:

4. Shawnjohn999999

I got some one counts but yeah.

5. Shawnjohn999999

Great video. Some people should check it out.

6. thatsagoodcut

thatsagoodcut Little Member

The comments on that video say it all.

BennytheBlade likes this.
  7. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

Ugh the 87.....

Seems like it isn’t the worst butt Benchmade could have done much better.

Shawnjohn999999 likes this.
  8. Blurred Memories

My theory is they don't really understand or don't care about bali flipping or both, they just try to make "good knives".

According to my theory, the 4x was just a happy accident. They wanted to make a lighter bali knife, and just stumbled on to perfect weight and weight distribution. when they tried to respond to all the complaints about the 6x and begging for ti channels again, we got the 87, which is cool, but it "seems" obvious here they were going for "cool knife" not "good flipper". Sure its spring latch but that latch weights like an ounce by itself with zero effort to make handles similar weights.

If I hadn't actually seen benchmade employees flipping balis, I'd almost swear they didn't know what people really do with them.

One of the funniest things I saw regarding this was in another bhq vid, the benchmade employee says his favorite flipper is the 67, but he had to "personalize" it... (rehandle lol).

< video link queued to that comment >

Me personally, I'd be willing to pay more than the 87 retail price for a milled version of the 4x with bushings, would be less titanium and probly less mill time so even more profit$! Yeah I know you can get counterfeits like that for much cheaper, but no self respecting devil would go for those. Maybe we can get benchmade to licesnse someone to do that. Group buy anyone?

~blu

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  9. Shawnjohn999999

They dropped info on a seriously good knife. I was impressed.

10. Shawnjohn999999

I like it pretty good. It's a good flipper. I dont break it out as much.

11. RoninFlipper

RoninFlipper Little Member

The BM42 was an evolution of a design they’d been making already for years. The BM51 was the first clean sheet design they made in over a decade . Benchmade still showed some love for the flipping community.

After that two things happened; BM started playing in the govt. supply pond and afterwards ceased giving a fuck about the flipping community. Now Benchmade is a tool knife supply company, which isn’t a horrible thing if you’re after a mil spec OTF. But the priority for the BM6x and 87 was clearly utility and durability- not flipping. If I were somehow forced to carry a Balisong into a battlefield tomorrow I’d pick an 87 in a flash. That big ol blade is real useful for cutting boxes , and there’s no doubt the stock 6x’s depleted uranium handles can take some punishment.

But then again, so can an AB and it’s an exponentially better flipper out of the box. Since BMs money comes from large supply contracts instead of flippers, don’t expect things to change. BM has some flippers on the payroll, but the 6x & 87 prove none of them are shot callers.

12. thatsagoodcut

Theres a lot of truth to this, and it would be pure speculation on my part to assume how involved Les is in these later years, eventually the sales and marketing will run the asylum like anything else; and federal/state contracts supplying officers with knives is great money with bulk sales, and whats the point of any business if not to make money?

One additional note about the 4x series I'd bring up would be that because the handles were forged, the molds eventually cracked and broke (as far as I know) so the reason they can't make anymore is because the molds they used literally do not exist any longer (or are unusable). Its why a real 4x knife will have small little pits in the handles, where bubbles in the forging process showed when the handles were finished.

Also, the 87 isn't that bad once you remove the magnetic lock, the magnets are heavy and make one handle really unbalanced, but its really hated on because leading up to it there was a lot of hype about a new balisong for Benchmade's anniversary, and then they dropped this giant $600 box cutter that nobody wanted, so everyone was furious, but its really not that bad.

Scott Meers likes this.
  13. Shawnjohn999999

I know it flips and hurts.

14. RoninFlipper

I have one , ordered from the first batch. It WAS that bad.

Benchmade hyped up their 30th anniversary bali..and dropped the 87 V1. Which was a fucking turd. Flipped better then a 6x , but then so does a brick. Even if you didn’t mind the absurd blade bias, you weren’t flipping it more then two minutes before the pivot screws backed out. My CCCs didn’t do that ; but a $550 “anniversary edition” Balisong did.

After I sent it back BM fixed the pivots and installed a V2 blade, so now it flips like a oversized AB. It’s actually fun now, and not wondering if it’ll come apart during a chaplains a cool perk. Folks that ordered a BM87 after last August got the V2 out of the box, so they’re probably confused why so many people hate the knife. If you handled the first version, you’d know.

15. Blurred Memories

What's the difference in v1 / v2 blades? I have a fpr, but have never handled or seen one that wasn't. I didn't have any problem with pivots, mine are welded in I think.

16. thatsagoodcut

This is some interesting information, I have an 87 and the pivots back out constantly, I wasn’t even aware there were two versions, I bought mine years ago, I wonder if I have a dud? As above, is there a list of differences anywhere?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  17. RoninFlipper

Benchmade kept the V2 87 intro very low key. I literally stumbled on it through a Facebook comment by a BM employee.

The key differences as I understand it are in the blade design and pivots. The V1 blades were too heavy and the pivot bearings improperly spec’d (thus the constant loosening). If there’s an official list of changes I haven’t seen it, but if you send your 87 in for the Lifesharp service you’ll get the updated parts no questions asked. Say what you want about BMs balisongs, but their CS is solid.

The V2 is miles better then the original. It’s a way more balanced knife to flip. If you’ve got a V1 or suspect you do , send it in. Took em three weeks to fix mine.

18. thatsagoodcut

I wonder how they’re rebalancing the blade, want to compare measurements with me? ;)

Shawnjohn999999 and apdallaround like this.
  19. Shawnjohn999999

That sounds like alot of bs.

20. Caleb Turner

Caleb Turner Little Member

So im definitely a noob here but i got my 87 maybe 3 months ago and it looked ENTIRELY different from every pic/vid ive seen of it and it flips pretty well for what i know (not alot) but it compares favorably to my AB3.0 anyway even the handles have a different finish they arent bead blasted or maybe very very finely but you can still see the machining lines and it almost looks like the fine stonewash/polish on some of their blades idk its weird but looks good and feels great, and my pivots dont back out at all i flipped for a week before took it apart and lock tighted. So i called BM and asked about it. told em i didnt think itwas a clone or anything and they stopped me right there and said they had basically re tooled the whole thing and thats why it had been on back order so long. Didnt give me any real specifics but did say the finish, blade weight, and pivots had all been re worked so make of that what you will. But im telling you the knife in my hand is not like the ones ive seen

Justin McNeill likes this.