1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

51 Morpho opinion

san-mai-usa Aug 27, 2014

1. zuggzugg

zuggzugg JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

bad link? Nm, fixed! Thanks!

I've also joined the balisong flippers group on facebook and those guys are always posting cool videos. I'm learning a lot in the short time I've joined up.

2. Papercuts

Papercuts JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Works for me.

3. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

No.

"Missing Link"

:cheesydevil:

RazorSharp likes this.
  4. Ronin0821

Ronin0821 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I here what your saying watch the video I posted.

Also I feel you but a week flipping you will throw it up and not care where you catch it you will be use to it. It's all I'm saying. No harm.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  5. zuggzugg

I feel you. Again, even with that trainer I have with the sharp screwdriver tip; I've caught that thing wrong a lot already have have gotten some pretty good cuts and stabs on my palm and finger web.

Blood has been drawn. Albeit they weren't gushers. :) My knuckles are bruised up, my hand is sore.

6. Artemis Snow

Artemis Snow Little member

ok to tape that spear point just sort of round the tape a bit on the tip.. this takes a little practice to do this right without it interfering with the handles but it wont take much trial and error to get it.

Also that video says it all. No matter how good you are at this sooner or later you'll get cut either from something you've done thousands of times over or because you tried something new. Shit I still get some hairline cuts from a messed up wrist pass but those are just paper cuts in comparison to some rollover fuck ups I've made. Flipping to me is like a street martial art kata being created. That's why I love it so much.

The things I've done in martial arts training are the very things I need to do to become a better flipper. Power through pain, and ego to become better.

7. zuggzugg

I'll give it a shot! Thanks! Mail just came today. No 51. Hopefully tomorrow!

i'll tape up one of the cheaper live blades I have tonight and see how it goes.

8. Ronin0821

^^^^ well said. Yea I seen the video for the first time and it's just like after work. Go home man up tape your hands up when your done if you can start again tomorrow. Sometimes you can't because the cuts are to deep. That's where You go lefty. Lol good luck kid have fun. Soon your going to look back on this thread and say I can't believe I taped this shit. Lol happy learning/flipping.

9. zuggzugg

We'll see! Don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't want to be all sick with a real blade. :P

I'm 36 though so not much of a kid at this point. Although I do make video games for a living! :)

10. san-mai-usa

san-mai-usa JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Dude, at 36 you're still a child to this old man.
    I'm 54 and just bought my first 4 decent balis, blood will be shed.
    If it don't cut, it ain't a knife.

11. zuggzugg

Tell it to my knees!

I'm looking at this sale on kimuras. I might try to pick up 3-4 of them!

Ronin0821 likes this.
  12. ac3.0

ac3.0 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I went lefty once because i cut my index on my right. Then i cut the shit out my ring finger on the left and promptly went back to my right and stayed.

13. vileperson

vileperson Enormous member

It's a sad day...

I am very disappointed that all of this valuable blade-taping/trainer information being discussed, is going to get lost forever, hidden in 1 of 100 threads about "opinions of the 51".

[​IMG]

What have we done?!

14. Ronin0821

Oooo that's exactly what happens to me you know what you do. Do a twirl before you go into the scissoring take your left middle finger in there and lay the index on top do the same with the left then switch it back. I'm not use to it yet but it works as a transfer, a trick also helps get the left going.

15. zuggzugg

hah yea. I'm sorry. I apologized a page or two ago about the potential derailing of the thread.

16. ac3.0

ac3.0 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I wasn't talking about a transfer however i think you just taught me how to transfer. That's awesome.:thumbsup:

17. VANELLI

VANELLI JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Some good advice before me, listen to those guys.

1. If your getting " model 42 ccc's " , dull the shit outa them with a grinder.
    2. Are you a hand model?

18. zuggzugg

My 51 just came and I even flipped it a little. :) Basic horizontal, figure 8, up, down, up, and quick draws.

It feels so nice!

19. TheKnifeGuru

TheKnifeGuru Little member

Sooo... back to the 51.

I have mine and I do say it's too light. And I'm thinking about Ti handles?
    Where's a good place to get them?
    Any info?

20. nuts4knives

nuts4knives JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Almost cheaper to sell it and try to score a fly51 the next time they come up on BHQ. Otherwise you can spend around $200 and have some custom ones done by someone on here.