1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

51 Morpho opinion

san-mai-usa Aug 27, 2014

1. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

Maybe cut up some cardboard instead of deliberately dulling them on a hard medium. That way you won't mess up the value, expecially the 4x's

2. zuggzugg

zuggzugg JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

From what I read, using some fine sandpaper on the edges would dull them nicely.

Is there one true recommended way to dull the blade w/o ruining them?

My "42s" are CCC's but I ordered the 40T, 42, 42s. Although now that I'm on these boards I'm constantly looking for a real one to pick up for a good price!

Sorry for getting OT. Feel free to PM me a response.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  3. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

:facepalm:

I don't rip people for using trainers. But this is the one thing that truly bothers me. Dulling a blade intentionally should NEVER EVER be done.

- Use a trainer
    - Tape the blade
    - Don't flip

***You're basically destroying the only purpose of a knife...cutting things

4. zuggzugg

I have zero need or intention to ever have to cut anything and EDC is not an option. It's illegal for me to have outside of my home. I bought every one of these knives (trainers included) to learn and practice flipping. All of my hobbies are hand/finger/dexterity based and this has always been something I've wanted to learn. I totally and completely understand respecting the blade.

When my first 3 real blades came the other day and I held them for the first time. It definitely was a whole different feeling and I was extremely caution even trying the basical horizontal open/close. Cutting myself and risking potential serious injury is just not an option.

I make good money and can afford it. I may buy the 51BK or BKS version and leave sharp just because I think they look so clean. My cheap "42s" that is coming I will most certainly leave sharp.

"Don't flip" is also a hilarious response.

5. Ronin0821

Ronin0821 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Learning with a live blade is great discipline for flipping.

6. zuggzugg

Risking my career and even having to tape my hands up from injury would be a serious problem for me with as much as I use my hands on the daily.

I know it's a controversial issue.

7. san-mai-usa

san-mai-usa JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

If it don't cut, it ain't a knifeā€¦...

8. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Use the fishhook sharpener on a SharpMaker. It will leave the blade sharp enough to get your attention but not so sharp that it'll take off a finger.

Be prepared to allow the knife to fall. Don't flip over hard surfaces. DO NOT stick out your foot to break its fall.

9. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Nobody is questioning your hands as a part of your livelyhood. Just better option than dulling a blade.

***Thin layer of superglue is another option

10. Papercuts

Papercuts JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I find that cutting things with my knives dull them.

11. Ronin0821

I need my hands all day also for multiple things at work. But I wrap them and get to it. Theirs a YouTube video that will get you pumped to use a live blade. I'll find it and post it for you.

12. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Just use a hunk of BLUE painters tape. It will protect you from cuts, and won't leave residue on the blade when removed.

13. Ronin0821

14. Artemis Snow

Artemis Snow Little member

Yeah I'd sooner tape my edge than dull the blade outright from anything other than EDC use. Also on trainers; don't sweat using them ever. I find it a tad silly that trainers get belittled, but I do find one thing helps to up their benefit when you flip.

As much as I hate to say this, but the best thing you can do is flip that 51 until you take a good cut. First day I had my 51 I got cut and it took a nice hunk off my index finger. I had to go to work on a dish shift too and got to have that cut be painfully cleaned out by sanitizer water in the dish room all day. Tell ya what though; it taught me well, and I used my trainer until I healed but I used the trainer with a clear mental picture of what it was like to get cut.

Also with clean cuts like from a 51 they heal fast. like in about a week or so fast so yeah it hurts and hinders for a little, but it heals fast as hell if you treat it right. Just fight through that pain at work just for that mental picture and trust me the way you flip that trainer will be drastically different (or taped edge).

15. zuggzugg

I'm open to options if I can still flip the knife safely (oxymoron, i know) without having to dull it. I will play around with some tape as well. How consistent and effective is that though. Say I were to try an aerial with a taped blade and ended up grabbing the blade itself? I'm sure the point is still a very large factor as well, no?

It's also not so much the pain. I play mini wargames like warhammer and stuff and have always been into building models. I've cut myself a ton of times with an xacto blade building and working on them, so I know the feeling of a deep cut from a razor sharp blade.

The main risk factor for me are the stories I've read about tendons/nerve slicing and other permanent damage, things like that. One of the trainers I have has a pretty sharp flathead screwdriver on the end and I've cut myself and bounced it off my leg a few times, drawing some blood. Not the same I know.

I've got plenty of painters tape. I'll give it shot.

16. Artemis Snow

Artemis Snow Little member

There's a way to tape that spear point without it being an issue for aerials, but honestly the 51 is probably the most forgiving aerial teacher with it's light weight. it's not like an AB with 5.1 oz of pure flesh slicer coming down on you.

17. zuggzugg

Got a link to the method for taping the point? I've watched a few videos on taping blades but in all of them the point didn't look all that taped up. I feel like if you tried to catch it and got hit with the point, you'd still get a nice little stab, no?

18. Ronin0821

How about not flipping if their is so many headaches just to do it. We all have to use our hands all day but we all man up when we get home and throw that bitch and catching it by the blade or not were flippers it's our life style. You seem very cautious maybe just collect them. I kind of understand your worry but you are worrying about the tip now it's getting a little crazy. Flip or don't brother.

19. Ronin0821

20. zuggzugg

It's not so much a headache at all as I've already read up on ways to make it safe. It's more that I value the opinions of people on these boards and since I'm new, I'm asking questions. Even if people are against my method of learning or even me trying to turn an extremely dangerous hobby/artform into something a little safer. I'm still seeking information and trying to learn form people with the experience.