1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

51 Morpho opinion

san-mai-usa Aug 27, 2014

1. san-mai-usa

san-mai-usa JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

You guys know the score on all the balis, so looking for opinions on the 51 Morpho as a suitable knife to start practicing with.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

3. san-mai-usa

sorry

Apologies, new to this.

4. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

5. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Just buy a 51 it will be one of many you get. It's a great knife all around. It flips good but not an ideal weight. A tad light weight

6. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I learned on a 51 and still love the stock 51.

7. san-mai-usa

Thanks guys, I bought it so I'll start with it.
    Wanted to get a few skills with the lower end of the scale before I start throwing around the others I recently bought.:manganr:

8. Ronin0821

Ronin0821 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yea he's right^^^ Not the ideal weight that's why you get ti handles after you beat the shit out of it. Also he is right on saying it's one of many you will own. I didn't think so but now I own 3 going for 4. So they are very ideal for flipping and once you go ti you won't go back. Great score have fun flipping:thumbsup:

9. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

not a bad choice.
    Just got my second 51 in today.
    Flips well considering the weight, and benchmade got a lot of things right in terms of making it a knife.

10. san-mai-usa

I'm hoping to add one of your fine knives to my collection.:manganr:

11. armedpootles

armedpootles JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

My options are gonna cost ya:unintroduced:

12. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

^This^

I bought a 51 early on in my collecting, and later sold it because: "It flips good but not an ideal weight. A tad light weight" Well, a couple of months later I bought another one because I missed having a 51.

You need one if you can find one for a fair price.

13. san-mai-usa

I don't have a life, I have a knife collection.:devilwag:

14. ac3.0

ac3.0 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

A 51 was my first Bali; I've had it for about a year. Just as a word to the wise invest in a tube of blue lock tight and put it on all 4 of the pivot screws, or else you might lose them while flipping. If you lose a screw happen just call benchmade for replacement screws free of charge. However it's less of a hassle to just lock tight it.

15. Mack22

Mack22 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I've never owned a balisong with Zen Pins before.

Do we tighten them, or set them up like we do the pivot screws?

How do we know it they are too tight or too loose?

How do i know if I've gone to far or not?

Cheers.

16. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Best bali to $$$ money ratio available:thumbsup:.

***I'm talking about when it was $180...before BM decided to move the price back up

17. Ronin0821

Ronin0821 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I think I'm going to buy a g10 handle one again with a black blade. So I can have one to beat up all my ti ones I love to flip but I need one to flip at work. Then after its beat up ti handles again its the only way but their great with ti. I wouldn't believe I would own more then one of them but it's definitely bali of choice.

18. san-mai-usa

Ok, I feel happy as I paid $175.

19. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

They're like stand-offs. tighten them down

20. zuggzugg

zuggzugg JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'm new to the bali world as well. Having started only two weeks ago. Since then I've bought a bunch of different trainers and just yesterday my first REAL blades came in the mail. I've also ordered myself a 51 as well that should be here today or tomorrow! It didn't take that long of doing my homework to find out that this is a "must have" balisong. The hard part was just working up to pulling the trigger on my wallet. :)

I'm going to dull my blades though since I have far too many hobbies that use my hands as well as my job. I can't afford to be slicing my shit all up. Blasphemous, I know.

People are right about having and wanting more than one. I've already got over 10 trainers, 3 real blades, the 51 on the way, and 3 diff "42's" en route to me!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014