1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

3D Printing and Balisongs...it's gotta happen!

nitegaunt Mar 12, 2013

1. nitegaunt

nitegaunt Average member

2. Cpfrombv

Cpfrombv Huge member

I don't know what you are doing, but I can't wait to see what it is. :thumbsup:

3. Wolfgur

Wolfgur Average member

I actually thought about making one of these. My school has a 3D printer but I suck at designs, and making it actually work would be a pain in the ass lol

4. nitegaunt

nitegaunt Average member

I can't afford one but I'd love to have access to one. They have a site called Thingiverse where people upload CAD designs that you can use to print from. Someone already has this balicomb on there but it looks pretty crappy.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15895
    I'm sure somebody here who does CNC could come up with something waaaaaay better.

5. 1986mpv

1986mpv JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The additive manufacturing machines are neat, but I'm waiting for selective laser sintering to become widely available and affordable. 3d print metal right in your own home.

6. rickymtz

rickymtz Huge member

7. InfinityShade

InfinityShade Level: True Devil

When i took engineering in high school i learned how to operate 3d printers. I ended up making some grips for my airsoft colt 1911. Just be sure to use stronger plastic.

8. nitegaunt

nitegaunt Average member

Now that one just might work. I wonder how close the medium they use is to G10? I would imagine it could be used, at least for prototypes and trying new designs for handles. Add a real blade and maybe some ss or ti spacers and you could have a nice bali.

9. crosscuttlery

crosscuttlery Enormous member

someone please educate me here because I'm just not getting it. what exactly is this 3d printing?

10. mike_geno

mike_geno Huge member JDBA Official Member

The blade is the real issue. It may still be a weapon but its not really a knife without a metal blade.
    You could make a really good prison shank or sneak it through a metal detector... but real knives are metal.

Maybe even trainers but they would be too light and have to be weighted anyway.

11. mike_geno

mike_geno Huge member JDBA Official Member

Additive manufacturing or 3D printing[1] is a process of making a three-dimensional solid object of virtually any shape from a digital model. 3D printing is achieved using an additive process, where successive layers of material are laid down in different shapes.[2] 3D printing is considered distinct from traditional machining techniques, which mostly rely on the removal of material by methods such as cutting or drilling (subtractive processes).

A materials printer usually performs 3D printing processes using digital technology. Since the start of the twenty-first century there has been a large growth in the sales of these machines, and their price has dropped substantially.[3]

The technology is used in jewelry, footwear, industrial design, architecture, engineering and construction (AEC), automotive, aerospace, dental and medical industries, education, geographic information systems, civil engineering, and many other fields.

:bacondancing:

12. crosscuttlery

crosscuttlery Enormous member

high very cool, I was thinking something way over complicated.

13. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

[video=youtube;X5AZzOw7FwA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5AZzOw7FwA[/video]

Cpfrombv likes this.
  14. rickymtz

rickymtz Huge member

Ive seen and used 3D printing, but its always been plastic only because of the heat and cooling used. Does anyone know if you can actually print SS ? Perhaps there is a type of special heating and cooling that would make it available to print the cheapest kind of steel ?

15. 1986mpv

1986mpv JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yes, you can 3d print metals. As far as I've read, the machines that actually do it are too large and expensive for the average consumer. But in a few years...?:manganr:

16. feenxfire

feenxfire JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

A buddy of mine has a 3D printer in his school work shop. He's been drawing up design for getting it "printed."

Apparently, those things are pretty complicated.....

17. Beelzebubbles

Beelzebubbles JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The possibility is there for knife makers to come out in droves. Cad files can be shared, modified, edited, and tested for little cost. The materials and QC would probably be pretty piss poor for the most part, but the potential is there.:thumbsup:

18. nitegaunt

nitegaunt Average member

Yeah, I don't think we will see top notch bali's coming out of home printers (for a while at least) but it's a thought. I think there could be some nice looking prototypes, trainers, and even some flippable balisongs with the right cad files. I don't have a clue how to make a cad file but I do know that machining steel works on the same premise. A friend of mine is a machinist and uses cad designs to make some really precise tolerance items. I was more thinking about handles. Kind of like doing the G10 style thing with the basic handle and then using steel for the blade and spacers. Basically like a B200 or something.

19. Helix

Helix Balipocalypse Assassin

It's something I've thought about. Several of my friends have makerbots.

There are several drawbacks unfortunately. The "affordable" home machines can't print metal and even if they could, it wouldn't be hardened metal like you want in a knife...more of a consistency similar to cheap pewter. The plastic material the makerbot uses is incredibly light and not very strong. "Solid" pieces aren't actually solid and print thin honeycombing/lattice structure inside the shell.

[​IMG]

There are size limitations to what you can print on these home machines. Eyeballing my friends' prints, the maximum size one was maybe just barely long enough to do a decent bali handle, maybe.

The resolution on 3d printing, especially the home machines, is not incredibly detailed. It's fairly good and they've been making strides, but the micro precision you'd want for a bali probably isn't quite there yet I think.

I think in the future 3D printing will be changing the manufacturing/design/product world pretty drastically. In a few years this stuff is going to take off and be crazy once they make a few more advancements.

In the interim, I may try out prototyping a bali on one just to see how it goes.

MTXCraze likes this.
  20. DeadPuppy

DeadPuppy JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

My robotics team bought a Makerbot, hoping to use it to make custom parts for the robot. Operating it is actually very simple. We just convert the 3d CAD models that we made in SolidWorks to a file that the Makerbot can read, set up the location, and the bot prints the part.

Now, the Makerbot is one of the most known 3d printers, and most affordable, but I personally don't like the results. We were going to make custom tracks with ABS, but the tracks were stringy, not a smooth finish (due to the way it adds layers), and the tolerances were horrible. The stringyness also made the pieces easy to fall apart. We ended up ditching the tracks because there is no way they'd hold up to the abuse we hoped they would, but we still printed some dust shields and cases for other parts of the robot.

I would NOT recommend a makerbot for anything knife related...you just aren't going to get good results.

There are "high-def" 3D printers out there that can print high tolerance pieces with completely smooth finishes. Theses aren't common yet but I imagine they will be soon.

Just look up 3d printers on kickstarter...some amazing ones have already been funded.

MTXCraze likes this.