1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

35th Annual Gator Cutlery Club Show - Lakeland, Florida

kayakjax Jan 12, 2014

1. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

Jan 31 - Feb 2

The info says:

Custom, Modern & Antique Knife Show
    Located Lakeland Center Exhibit Hall
    Fri 10am - 5pm
    Sat 9am -5pm
    Sun 9am - 3pm
    Cost $5 (one day pass) $8 (two day pass) $10 (3 day pass)
    www.lakelandcenter.com

This is my first winter snowbirding here in Central/South Florida and just heard about this show.
    All I know is what's up there.

I have no idea if there are any other devils within driving distance of it or not, but I'm throwing it out there.

I'm maybe an hour away. I'll most likely be up there Saturday, but who knows; if I get bored, I may go Friday. And if it's pretty good, I may be back Sunday.

If you see this guy:
    [​IMG]

wearing a Jerzee Devil shirt, come over and say "Hi".

2. kayakjax

Well, this thread has over 2,000 views, but no replies. :devilzeek

I guess that means that I'll be the only Devil at this show. :ropeman:

Oh well. I'll be there Saturday wearing a JD shirt for the little people. :bwah:

3. PusherMan

PusherMan Little member

I'm in Tampa so it's not too far for me. Do you have any more info on what to expect there? Do they have an event website? Im new here btw, nice to meet another (part time) Floridian.

4. kayakjax

I found this from the Gator Cutlery Club.

http://www.gatorcutlery.com/

They're having an auction Saturday that I was kinda interested in, but their link shows that Saturday's show ends at 5pm, but the auction isn't until 7pm.

I have NO idea how THAT'S gonna work, nor any idea how big this show's gonna be. Since evidently, no one who is a member of the club has found or joined Jerzee Devil, I'm not expecting a lot.

I will take the chance and make the drive up Saturday. I plan on getting there around 10am.

I'd be happy to meet any Devil - new guy or not.

5. Microbo

Microbo Huge member

Would love to

woops

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
  6. Steierknives

Steierknives knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Gator Show

Did this show for about four years. It had about ten custom knifemakers attending most of the time. Haven't been there since '09
    but it was a pretty good show if you were in the area.

kayakjax likes this.
  7. Microbo

Microbo Huge member

Would love to attend but this is a really bad weekend with kid's birthdays and the super bowl. I am always looking for an excuse to hop on the hog for a few hours and look at knives.

Does anyone know if there is a Florida JD chapter? If no, maybe we should start one and coordinate for this show next year.

Regards,

Beau

8. baldmedic

baldmedic knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I'm a local knife maker and I go to the show just to look. There's a lot of custom makers that come to this show. In 2002 the Strider guys came, Frank Centofante, Charlie Ochs, Steier knives, Don Lozier, Dick Atkinson, and a bunch more. If you're close enough to drive, it's worth the trip...Jim

9. Helrazr

Helrazr Average member

Dangit, didn't know that was this weekend. Been so busy with studying for my nursing boards and watching my son. Won't be making it either cause we are all sick unfortunately. Good luck. I enjoy that show. Oh and I live in Land O Lakes so maybe 45 minutes to an hour away depending on traffic.

10. kayakjax

Well, I just got home from the show.

I saw some nice knives and met some good people. All in all, a good day.

Had a few people ask me about my JD Shirt (Devil Inside). I had some nice conversations about the JD, but didn't talk to anybody who seemed to have the slightest clue who we are.

I'm used to that among "civilians", but it's pretty weird around knife people.

I spent just over ten bucks (not counting admission, raffle tickets and 50/50 tickets), but that is because I didn't bring enough money with me, and the ATM in the Lakeland Center was out of service.

Found a guy from Tampa who makes some stuff I really like. He's beginning to engrave, too. His knifes seem to be well done and not TOO ornate.

Not gonna say his name until I get back and buy the knife that I want first.

He has a little fixed blade knife and a folder that I like, but the folder can wait. I have his card, so I can get hold of him later, but I want that fixed blade knife tomorrow.

Will take pictures when I get back of both the knife (hopefully), and my little forged trinket.

Think I'll be wearing a JD Ace of Spades shirt tomorrow if anybody else is going.

11. jhepp7gw2

jhepp7gw2 Little member

Great Show

I am a member of the Gator Cutlery Club,,, just renewed at the show actually. Its great club. I only get to meetings once or twice a year since I live in Orlando.
    I was at the show opening day Friday and it was great. I think there was at least 150 tables of good stuff, some really nice custom knives.
    I picked up a few super deals. The show is the reason I joined Jersey Devils. I was looking up a Brend Protech Automatic I bought on Google and ran across your forum. I'm glad I joined this a really good site for information.
    I hope you enjoy the show and check out the club , their nice folks.

12. kayakjax

Everybody I spoke to was friendly.

There seemed to be the usual few arrogant know-it-alls, but not too many (and you'll get a few at ANY gathering, these days).

Some of the customs were not to my taste, but there were some I'd sacrifice a little used appendage (left nut, maybe?) for.

Overall, a very good experience.

13. kayakjax

Well, I went back to Lakeland today to buy that knife that caught my eye.

The maker is Billy Letcher from Tampa. I really like his designs. He's recently started engraving some of his work. I'm usually not a fan of engraved knives or guns, but he's not too ornate or fancy.

I thought the flowers on the pins were a pretty cool touch, so I picked it up off the table to look a little closer. Then I saw the work down the spine. Where you usually see ho-hum filework, he engraved down it. A little border on each side, and the pattern getting smaller and smaller down the blade. I just stood there for about five minutes just looking at it.

The steels ATS-34.

The wood is Rosewood Burl.

It came with a basketweave sheath that he also made, but I don't feel it does the knife justice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the little trinket I bought on Saturday from an old blacksmith. I thought it's a pretty cool idea. If you like to drink from a Mason jar, here's a nice, sturdy handle. I don't have a Mason jar here, so I snapped it on a handy jar of pickles to model it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]