1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

300 Whisper vs. 300 Blackout

scott308 Aug 26, 2014

1. scott308

scott308 Huge member

I have read SSK's and Hornady's literature on the subject. I am wondering if there is any real-world input from the JD membership. Anybody out there shoot them interchangeably?

2. Southern Cross

Southern Cross Level: True Devil

No personal experience myself other than what I have seen on Tac TV and Guns and Ammo TV...but I do recall reading a good article about the two rounds in American Rifleman. I will see if I can dig it up for you.

3. scott308

scott308 Huge member

Thanks - you are right - it was a good article but it still left me with a couple of questions regarding the safety/sanity of shooting both rounds from the same weapon.

4. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

I shoot 300 Whisper out of my 300 BO M4 all the time.

5. scott308

scott308 Huge member

Thanks Mike - I am leaning in the direction of an AAC 16" upper.

6. Krull

Krull Legit Crybaby/Drama QUEEN

I never quite got why these rounds exist when there's 7.62X39 :jduh: since if you get GOOD brass and make some GOOD loads then the thing would shine I'm sure.

About the only thing is the habit of most shells being .310 and not .308 but meh,the Finns have made adjustments on the old Mosins to make them the right diameter in the past,no reason we can't now with the new short round.

Or if you wanted to be crazy try making an AR in 7.92X33 and see what happens.

7. BenDibble

BenDibble Resident Mortician JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

These rounds exist for many many great reasons. Among them being:
    Uses standard 5.56 magazines
    Uses standard 5.56 bolt/bcg
    Uses standard .223/5.56 ammo, just cut down and re-necked

Can create perfectly quiet subsonic rounds utilizing a very heavy (~220gr) bullet, or supersonic but still very manageable lighter (~125 gr) bullet.

And of course not to mention what a pain in the ass 7.62x39 is to work with. Tapered cases leading to funky feeding out of very specialized magazines.
    Special bolt required.

Need i continue?

droid likes this.
  8. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

Nope, nicely summed up!