1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Secare Blade Grinding...

Stuart Mitchell Nov 29, 2015

1. Stuart Mitchell

Stuart Mitchell knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I am just working on another small batch of these, I have had more Secare laser cut (I Have SecareX remaining from the original order), so I have 19 cut, HT'd and surface ground to 5mm Secare blanks in the 'shop, what I realised was that these are it, these are all the Secare that I'll make through 2016, split into three batches and fitted in with the ongoing order book the last of them will be in around 12 months time...

[​IMG]

Over the last few days I have been working on the bevel grinding of the current clutch of half a dozen...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I'd throw a couple of SecareX in there too...

[​IMG]

The reason I am posting these is that it may be of interest to some that all the roughed bevels there are hollow ground at this stage, just like hollowing the centre of a tang before you taper and flat it again, just to assist removal of steel...

The first pass over the flat bed reveals this...

[​IMG]

The hollowed out centre clearly visible there...

Then more flat grinding...

[​IMG]

Until, this is the same blade in these three photos...

[​IMG]

That initial roughed hollow is big help with this 5mm stock, thinner and I wouldn't bother, anything at this stock or above though it's worth considering...

At close of play yesterday...

[​IMG]

I am toying with heading down to the 'shop and and sorting that last SecareX this morning, it is cold, windy and raining outdoors though, the workshop will not be very welcoming first thing so it's touch and go just now :D

GEEZER likes this.