1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

11 Feet 8+8 Inches

crogers Oct 4, 2020

1. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

Welcome to Durham North Carolina. Home to Duke University and arguably, some of the smartest people in the country.

And then there's....

Now, when this video was taken, the bridge clearance was 11'8". It was referred to at the "Can Opener Bridge" or the "11 Foot 8 Bridge". Last October, it was raised by 8", at a cost of $500,000, due to damage to the bridge. That was the most it could be raised without adversely affecting the railroad grade. Now, it's affectionately know as the "11 Foot 8+8 Bridge". I guess the "12 Foot 4 Bridge" just doesn't have the same ring... :manganr:

As of this week, there have been 159 accidents (since 2008), mostly caused by morons that...
    1. Can't read.
    2. Think to themselves, "Well, that can't be right..."
    3. Are too drunk to figure out what's going on.
    4. All of the above.​

Bear in mind that there are warning signs, a blinking warning sign that clearly states "OVERHEIGHT MUST TURN" and a traffic signal that turns red when the height limit is reached. But, when the bridge is hungry.... :bwah:

Hope you enjoy this video. For more info, visit http://11foot8.com/ or search for "can opener bridge" on YouToob.

2. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

I have watched a few of the videos of the bridge taking the top off of various vehicles. It is kind of fun. There are a few drivers who stop, read the sign, and then proceed to rip off the top of their truck. Makes you wonder...

crogers likes this.
  3. crogers

I really wonder about this guy...

I suppose he couldn't follow the signs that direct trucks around to the other side....

4. Samb

Samb Average Member

Ouch!

5. crogers

Here's a little variety pack. Some make it, sort of... some don't, and some that come this close.... :manganr: And one moron that doesn't understand what that red sign means.

Now, you're on your own....

6. Samb

Samb Average Member

7. Huevos

Huevos muy grande!

At least it was a rental... :)

crogers likes this.
  8. crogers

According to my sources, ALL the local truck rental places warn drivers to avoid that area and inform them that insurance does NOT cover damage caused by the Can Opener Bridge. So, that rental think ain't too helpful... :wallet:

I also understand that it'll set ya back between $10-20K to replace the box on one of those trucks. A lot of them are damaged, but quite a few are destroyed!

9. crogers

Okay... really... last one! It's just that this is the perfect example of why this is called the "Can Opener Bridge"....

Like a can of sardines! :hungry:

apdallaround and Huevos like this.
  10. Huevos

Huevos muy grande!

I guess they've been down that road before (har har)

crogers likes this.
  11. Samb

Samb Average Member

Good one!!!!

crogers and Huevos like this.
  12. Huevos

Huevos muy grande!

Thanks! I'm here all week... :D

crogers likes this.
  13. Thanos74

Thanos74 Hillbilly Deluxe JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Ha! There is a bridge just like that in Greensboro! Just like that bridge in Durham, its where the train tracks cross over what used to be South Aycock Street, where South Aycock connects High Point Rd., and Spring Garden St. Where Spring Garden goes behind UNCG. The only difference being the slight dip in the road giving the illusion that its higher than it really is! Ha! I lived right down the road from that intersection, and it seemed like every other week somebody was stuck under the tracks! It was a real pain in the ass if you was trying to cut over to High Point Rd.!
    :bobert:

crogers likes this.
  14. crogers

And the one on Merritt Drive near Patterson. It was topped pretty frequently. Greensboro has several....

Thanos74 likes this.
  15. Thanos74

Thanos74 Hillbilly Deluxe JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Yeah it does! Several low clearance bridges, and several folks who don't pay a whole lot of attention to the signs that gratuitously point that fact out!