1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

100+ year old unopened Coke

Uncle_Jarvis Oct 12, 2011

1. Uncle_Jarvis

Uncle_Jarvis Should be a custom title here

Heres a few more pics of mine

Green hobbleskirt PAT. D circa 1957 . I found diving in FL KEYS
    It prob only worth a few dollars but its special b/c I found it. :ssmile:

To the right of it is a 1911 straight side amber arrow coke. Its also special because it says "root" on the bottom (glass manufacture) and is in 9/10 condition. Its prob worth at least $100
    [​IMG]

Here is a cool transition picture.
    bottle on the left is a 1913 aqua straight side - the one on the right is the first illustration of the hobbleskirt. Its a PAT NOV 1915 (notice how it is aqua and not green like the newer ones) it also has a really thick base with air bubbles when compared to the newer ones)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
  2. Uncle_Jarvis

Heres a very special straight sided coke I acquired a while ago.

this came from the very first shop to offer Coca-cola for sale
    Notice is says "property of Biedenharn " on the base
    you dont see these too often.

[​IMG]

reference site
    http://www.biedenharncoca-colamuseum.com/

3. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

Very cool stuff, UJ. Thanks for sharing.

In the late 60's, my best buddy's dad had a little country store. The little Coke bottles always had the name of the town where they were bottled on the bottom. Sometimes we'd gamble on them (the one with the bottle closest to home had to buy the Coke for the guy with the farthest bottle). We had a big US map on the wall of the stock room with a pin (with a string dangling from it) locating the (approximate) location of Gatewood, Kentucky so we could try to figure out distances.

That got us interested in all the towns, so we both started collecting them. It was a cheap enough hobby (I think the bottles were 3 cents each, then), and Mr. Bowlds would let us have a wooden case when we got that many. We'd go through the bottles every day, and would swap out better examples of the ones we already had. At one point, I think I had 3 or 4 of the wooden cases full of pristine, different bottles at my house. Somewhere among moves to various houses, they got left along the way.

I've thought about those bottles a lot after I grew up. I don't regret losing them because of any value they may have, but for the memories of going through the bottles, and the joy of finding a town I never heard of on the bottom of an old bottle.

I spent many an hour pushing a broom or stocking shelves for "Bottle Money". Mr. Bowlds kept a tab for me to let me know how many I could get. I don't remember ever using the tab for anything other than bottles, or the morning or the afternoon Coke we enjoyed on the old wooden porch among the wooden cases of those little bottles.

Those Coke bottles had been around for years, much longer than Harvey and I had been alive, there was no reason to think that they wouldn't be around long after us.

Coke bottles just going away is one of life's great mysteries to me. Where did they all go? There had to be millions and millions of them out there... now they're gone.

4. Uncle_Jarvis

Very cool story from the past kayakjax. Its just the little things like that I find soo interesting.

You actually now made me think of a story my grandfather told me back in the day. In WWII he was stationed in HI and him and his buddies got Coca-Cola shipped to them. Most of the bottles all had different citys/states on them so each of them guessed a city/state and the one with the most distance away from their guess had to buy the round of coke for that day. Its very similar to your story also. Pretty cool

In reference to "where did all the bottles go"

well..... back in the early 1900s all the Coke bottles were actually property of Coca-Cola and they were simply leased to the consumer / returned and reused. In 1917 they redesigned the bottle with the familiar hobble-skirt design.....

The Coca-Cola company commissioned all the straight sided bottles to be destroyed ... Out of all the designs the Amber color ones were mostly taken out of existence , hence is the reason why the amber color straight side Cokes usually bring in higher prices these days. There are many other factors in determining value but this is one of them. The most valuable amber one I own is the diamond logo one pictured in the group shop in the first page.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
  5. KMNREMTP

KMNREMTP Devil's Playmate

U ever seen a brass coke bottle?

6. Uncle_Jarvis

For reference. . Over the years there has been plenty of reproduction of the Coke bottle .. The main way in spotting a hobble-skirt repo. is looking at the bottom.

The originals all have larger font and NO curved line connecting the city/state

This picture shows the reproduction bottle in the middle
    [​IMG]

7. Uncle_Jarvis

Do you mean brass color or actual bottle made of brass??

If you mean actual brass I believe those are commemorative items released at some time. Coke only used glass for bottles that contained contents .

8. kayakjax

And I think there are a bunch of them from the brass shops in India.

9. KMNREMTP

KMNREMTP Devil's Playmate

those are the ones. My pops had one one time.

10. Uncle_Jarvis

Yep.. Ive sporadically seen those on ebay. They are sold as reproduction collector memorabilia.

here is a site with some cool coke stuff. Its updated every day.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/coca-cola/bottles/auctions

11. kayakjax

The Schmidt Coca Cola Museum in Elizabethtown Kentucky closed, and they are selling everything at auction.

The auction catalog itself is $45. The first part of the auction had 650 items sell for a total of 3.3 million dollars. Three items sold for over $100,000, with another item going for $95,000.

The next part of the auction is scheduled for Spring 2012.

:link:

12. Uncle_Jarvis

Ohhh ya... I was all over that... They had 7 or 8 Hutchinson coke bottles for sale but they were waaaaay out of my league. $3000-$6500 range each :ssad:

The cone top proto coke can sold for $15,000+ in the Sept 2011 auction..

Im waiting to see a 1 of 3 proto hobbleskirt coke pop up. aka "pregnant coke" it was the pre-design of the common shape we see today. Some of my buddies on another forum estimate it to bring in $750,000 ..

13. hamburger

hamburger Super Deluxe Double Cheeseburger Knife Maker or Craftsman

when i was in japan they made coke bottles out of aluminum. its not a can its shaped like a bottle but made from aluminum. i kept one somewhere.