1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

1 Million = 1 Pixel

Dr Mabuse Mar 11, 2010

1. Dr Mabuse

Dr Mabuse Set your motherfucker to "receive"

[​IMG]

blackscout likes this.
  2. stoneman

stoneman Stoney Devil

woah, that kinda blows your mind when it's put into perspective like that. It's just unreal.

3. sickboy

sickboy Marsupial Brigade Member

Fucking-a man. Someone should put it into knife perspective. "This is how many Striders one can buy with the Auto industry bailout." Well, depending on the grind it may not be very impressive.....

sickboy

4. rbmcmjr

rbmcmjr Nuclear Powered Devil

I smell bullshit.

Define the "Super Rich" that this graphic vilifies, provide the basis for alleging $1.5 trillion went to them, identify the source of this amount, and explain why this is perceived as a handout in support of them.

Then we can have a basis for discussion.

Rick

5. stoneman

stoneman Stoney Devil

Why can't we just be blindly angry at the rich people?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
  6. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

So, who counted the pixels to verify the math?

7. Dr Mabuse

:bwah:

I think the maker of the graph assumed the person looking at it would have even a partial awareness of the events of the last two years in the US, and would thus be able to answer the above questions all by themselves.

You follow?

8. rbmcmjr

All I follow is that you are either unwilling or unable to answer my questions.
    • Define the "Super Rich" that this graphic vilifies
    • Provide the basis for alleging that they were given $1.5T
    • Identify the source of the monies
    • Explain why this is perceived as a handout
    Allegations without facts to support them are just lies.

Rick

9. 100eyes

100eyes Huge member

New Bailout May Top $1.5 Trillion

10. Dr Mabuse

[​IMG]

11. rbmcmjr

Okay, so the alleged handout is the fiscal stimulus? Intended to keep all the poor little autoworkers employed, amongst others. Right? Keep the economy from tanking? Stop (or at least slow) the loss of jobs and income? While I disagree with the politics that allowed it to proceed, it does seem to have had some positive effects.

And just who are the "super rich" this is alleged to have benefited? And how?

Petty insults and invective are hardly effective debate tools. For a guy who posts images with the logo "Question Everything", you sure don't walk the walk. Back it up with facts or butt out.

Rick

Tinysd likes this.
  12. blackscout

blackscout Enormous member

hole lee fuk..... for real????:devilzeek

I'm gonna go with unwilling.

rick you might wanna set your motherfucker to receive!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2010
  13. Dr Mabuse

Wow... okay let me be far more direct with you here, maybe you'll be able to grasp the concept... but I'll tell you, at this point I don't think you will.

Questioning things is a good habit for a fairly intelligent person to engage in. It's not a good idea in your case. You should probably just be quiet and hope no one notices you, or God forbid asks you a question about anything.

Revealing your own comprehensive, astounding, apparently encyclopedic ignorance of the world around you, the US government and its recent activities, the definition of self explanatory terms, the functioning of the economy of the US, banking and monetary systems in the US, etc, stuff like that is not 'questioning'. That is walking around expecting others to be responsible for informing you of matters about which any 10th grader should have already informed themselves, much less an adult. Presenting the argument that 'it's your job to inform me of things I have miraculously remained ignorant of' is not an argument at all.

The only 'debate' here is in your rather empty mind. I would sooner 'discuss' Fermat's last theorem with a golden retriever than 'discuss' this issue with you. Frankly I would put my money on the retriever as to which audience would grasp the concept being explained first.

As I said above, the maker of that graph probably, and quite reasonably assumed anyone and most everyone who saw it would be smarter than a 5th grader on such a huge issue that has affected every corner of the world economically. It's a very reasonable assumption.

As to who should 'butt out', it's amazing the person who comes into a thread claiming "bullshit" would be self deluded enough to take that position, but at this point I would be amazed if you are able to stay out of a chair while chewing gum.

No, I'm not going to give you a 10th grade civics and economics lesson, at some point in your life you should have looked into such things for yourself. If someone else here wants to, you should be very polite and thank them for doing so, as you are in dire need of a remedial education.

In the future I highly suggest you have the following words tattooed on the back of one of your hands and glance at them before you ever open your mouth to speak, or reach to a keyboard to post anything on the internet:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

In all truth... as I read your posts now I hear the voice of 'Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel' from the Simpsons in my head as I peruse your words.

:bwah:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2010
    stoneman likes this.
  14. blackscout

and that is why Doc is my Hero.

15. rbmcmjr

I will concede that my opening salvo of "bullshit" was perhaps harshly worded (however heartfelt). Would you have responded more appropriately if it had read:

Can you please provide the basis for this graph?

I bear you no personal animus. I would have responded to this post in the same fashion regardless of the identity of the initial person making it.

You may be under the impression that I object to the message presented. You are wrong. I personally resent the whole concept of the stimulus. It was social wealth redistribution on an unparalleled scale. On an individual basis, I am empathetic with those most directly affected by this economic turn-down. However, on a broader scale, I am a ruthless social Darwinist and do not support large scale government intervention. The founding principle of equality applies to opportunities, not outcomes.

What I object to is this: The use of the term "super rich" as a classic diversionary tactic. Who would want to be known as a supporter of that class of people? Yet when asked to identify by what criteria they are known, no answers are provided. I would have thought that Bill Gates was among them, but the graph already used his example three steps down the scale. So what is the standard applied by the creator of this? How many of them are there? And why does he allege that the stimulus went directly to them?

Or is it merely bitching about the fact that people with a broader stake in the overall economy realized a correspondingly larger benefit from all of the government pork that spewed forth from Congress? Fomenting "Class Envy" is not something I wish to support.

I am genuinely interested in the answers to my questions. Your profile states that you are here for the intelligent conversation. Yet you are unwilling to engage in such when asked?

Rick

16. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

Maybe this will help to put some things in perspective.

CLICK

17. blackscout

I can appreciate this reply. I still want to hate the "super rich". I do not have any answers.

18. Ironwolf

Ironwolf BANNED Fucktard

19. rbmcmjr

Here is an interesting commentary from a Nobel Prize-winning economist: http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/15/smart-guys-and-wall-street/

I’m a little late on this great Calvin Trillin piece, but it accords with my own more specialized memories from grad school. The year I got my PhD (1977), there was a very clear ranking of desirable career paths. The best economics grad students went into academic jobs; the middle went to the Fed or the IMF; the bottom went, poor souls, to Wall Street.

Even then this meant an inverse relationship between academic ranking and income, since new assistant professors were paid only around $15,000, equivalent to a bit more than 50K today. But the prestige differences more than offset the pay differentials, at least as we saw it then. And one thing that’s hard to convey is how boring business seemed in the 1960s and 1970s. (“I’ve got just one word for you: plastics.”)

But even a decade later, it was the guys who went off to investment banks who were buying the third homes, while the top students were trying to eke out their incomes with an occasional consulting gig. And it wasn’t just the money: business stopped being so boring, and was even getting to be fun for some people. The old conviction that the academic life was the ideal definitely began to fray at the edges.

Did the influx of smart people bring on disaster? That’s a longer story. But the change in who went where is utterly real.

If you go to read this, be sure to click the link to the Trillin Op-Ed. It applies too.

I don't care for Krugman's politics, but I can't deny that he is one hell of a smart guy. I came across this blog several months ago and read it mainly because it challenges my comfort zone (I understand physics, not economics).

20. Bobert

Bobert Look what I can do!

I don't think you're pickin' up what he's throwin' down. :bwah: