1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

‘Magic mint’ triggers cosmic, and legal, high

Jeff Jul 26, 2006

1. Jeff

Jeff *uniquewoodworld*

*perks*

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14030975/

Magic mint’ triggers cosmic, and legal, high

Psychoactive plant called Salvia takes users on a heady ride

Updated: 7:13 p.m. ET July 25, 2006

Hunter knows how to mellow out on marijuana. It's something he does all the time. But the first time he smoked the leaves of a plant dubbed the "magic mint," he felt as if he'd been slammed into another dimension.

As drug trips go, this one was more terror than pleasure.

"The first time I did it was with a lot of people," recalls Hunter, a Toronto university student who asked that his real name not be used. "That was probably a bad idea because I did it and before I even knew what was happening, I was just like transported into another world.

"Then someone was around me and they just tapped my shoulder, and I forget if I was annoyed by that, but it felt like spikes going into my body. I felt like I was being stabbed, but obviously it was the Salvia."

Salvia divinorum, that is — a member of the sage family of plants that has been used for hundreds of years by the Mazatec indigenous people of southern Mexico as a medicinal herb and means of divination.

Today, it continues to be used in shamanistic rituals. But it has also become popular among the university and college crowd in Canada and the United States — although for many, once is enough, experts say.

What may be surprising, given its powerful hallucinogenic effects, is that cultivating, selling or using Salvia divinorum are all perfectly legal in Canada and most of the U.S.

In Canada, neither Salvia divinorum nor its main active ingredient, salvinorin A, are regulated under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, says Health Canada spokeswoman Carolyn Sexauer. The substance can be imported and sold provided no health claim is made regarding its effects.

"Health Canada is collecting data regarding evidence of abuse of this substance and its dependence potential, and we continue to monitor Salvia divinorum," Sexauer says.

"Then someone was around me and they just tapped my shoulder, and I forget if I was annoyed by that, but it felt like spikes going into my body. I felt like I was being stabbed, but obviously it was the Salvia."

Salvia divinorum, that is — a member of the sage family of plants that has been used for hundreds of years by the Mazatec indigenous people of southern Mexico as a medicinal herb and means of divination.

Today, it continues to be used in shamanistic rituals. But it has also become popular among the university and college crowd in Canada and the United States — although for many, once is enough, experts say.

What may be surprising, given its powerful hallucinogenic effects, is that cultivating, selling or using Salvia divinorum are all perfectly legal in Canada and most of the U.S.

In Canada, neither Salvia divinorum nor its main active ingredient, salvinorin A, are regulated under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, says Health Canada spokeswoman Carolyn Sexauer. The substance can be imported and sold provided no health claim is made regarding its effects.

"Health Canada is collecting data regarding evidence of abuse of this substance and its dependence potential, and we continue to monitor Salvia divinorum," Sexauer says.

When he first smoked it, Bennett says the world around him went flat, "like the second dimension." Another user described having a sense that he had become a native in the Amazon jungle and then merged with a tree. Others experience panic because they find the cosmic ride too intense.

"There's a real dissolvement of the ego . . . that sometimes can be quite frightening for people who have a hard time letting go. But for people who have an easy time letting go, it can be quite a blissful experience."

Dr. Bryan Roth, director of the psychoactive drug screening program at the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health, says the chemical structure of the plant's active ingredient is "totally unique."

Roth, whose lab at Case-Western University in Cleveland was the first to map its molecular makeup five years ago, says salvinorin A is a "kappa-opiate agonist" that binds to a single type of receptor in the brain.

"It's amazing that this drug targets that particular receptor," he says. "Most drugs are not so selective. LSD hits about 50 receptors."

As a result, Salvia is creating a real buzz among scientists in the pharmaceutical arena. While pure salvinorin A is unlikely to have any use as a medication, its derivatives could be useful, and about 200 have been isolated so far, says Roth. Compounds that could block the effects of Salvia may be candidates for treating depression, schizophrenia or Alzheimer's-induced dementia.

"It's a really, really hot area in medical chemistry right now," says Roth.

When it comes to recreational use, Roth is reluctant to pronounce Salvia divinorum "dangerous," although he doesn't encourage people to smoke the leaves or extract (or take any other mind-altering drug, for that matter) — and he's never used it himself.

"The big problem with it from a safety standpoint is that people are pretty incapacitated when they take a hefty dose. They're pretty much disoriented in space and time and they could wander off a building or walk in front of a car and not know where they are."

That's why Bennett of Urban Shaman warns that anyone taking Salvia "should always have somebody there with them. That's a Number 1 rule.

"Because you enter into a waking kind of dream state in which you lose your critical judgment in a similar way you might in a dream. So you want to make sure a person remains sitting down or lying down."

That's advice Hunter can relate to: the second time he smoked the plant's dried leaves, he did it alone in his room.

"I remember looking at what was like a spinning top, like a Jewish dreidel. It was spinning and the faster it spun, I felt like I was spinning with it. And then all of a sudden I looked down and I was it. I became it.

"For a second, I thought I went insane because if you don't have someone around to, like, hold you down, you might get a little bit panicked. It can be a terrifying experience."

Still, Hunter says that when he feels ready, he may try Salvia again.

"It's strictly about information, no pleasure," he concedes. "You can't call it a high. You go just into an altered stare of being, really. You feel the effects of life through different eyes."

2. rudechuck

rudechuck Worst Blood Brigade Member

That doesn't sound like fun to me.

3. yoffione

yoffione catching more than a buzz with this lure! Brigade Member

No shit. Funk that!

4. xrayzebra

xrayzebra whirling dervish

I think that experiencing those kinds of altered states at some point in your life can be a positive thing, in that it rips you out of your mundane experience and makes you aware that reality is a fragile and fleeting multifaceted thing - that our perceptions are fallible and changeable.

But, this shit isn't all that great. A friend turned me on to some, and I don't think I'm getting off on it.... kinda makes my eyes feel itchy.

I looked in the mirror, and I think it also kinda made them get kinda blood shot, whaddaya think?

[​IMG]

5. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

:D:

Ooh baby, that's my boy - grow six more legs and we could get into some freaky shit ...

6. bart-1

bart-1 6th degree black belt/internet fighting discipline Knife Maker or Craftsman

Not fun, not funny!

UT-II likes this.
  7. xrayzebra

Sorry, Bart.

No, that shit doesn't sound like much fun. But, I'll bet a few people around here have looked at someone (or in the mirror) and seen shit like this at one time or another. Some of us grew up in the 60s and 70s.

8. beergoddess

beergoddess shorter than endowed Lady Devil

thats sime wild shit! i dont think i would ever try that! never did anything worse than smoke weed back in the day. out of alot of my friends, i was the wuss. never tried coke, either. my one experience with a big drug was taking ecstacy in jamaica. and lemmie tell you.... wooooo... it was so great! but once was enough. just hadta see for myself. i am too afraid of death to mess w/ drugs. as bad as i wanted to do it again, all i could think was what if the person making it fucked up somehow along the way?

9. Rozz

Rozz piss and vinegar Lady Devil

I remember one time I was tripping on paper blotter, & I saw my hand sizzling with little red colored squares, like large glitter, sizzling off my hand, it was pretty cool looking. Oh yeah, & I could'nt for the life of me, figure out how to tie my shoes. ahhhh......memories!:pumpkin:

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  10. xrayzebra

Deadeye knew somebody back then who took some acid, and when asked abou tit the next day, he said, "Aw, nothing much happened really - I don't think if affected me." When pressed for details, he said, "well, my shoe strings did get kind of loud."

11. Big John aka Mod 12

Big John aka Mod 12 Lost in the Ozone

opium and jazz was good

Tonight it is vodka and Little Debbie. It ain't the 60's anymore and I miss it.

BJ

12. Jeff

Jeff *uniquewoodworld*

There was a certain situation, at a Big Ten college, where one of the forum members who shall remain nameless, crushed up and snorted 9.5 microdots, put "Dark side of the moon" on auto-repeat, and spent the next few hours on a fouton, chain smoking, laughing hysterically and "making trails" with lit ciggies. You wanna talk about an out of body experience...

Hey, btw, BG--You like Linkin Park?

13. xrayzebra

Crushed up and snorted 9.5 microdots ! ? That is freaking insane.

How long were y... uh.. was HE messed up? And why snort it? Ugh.

That's plain nutty. I would think that would be a waste of maybe 3 or 4 microdots, as your brain chemistry simply woudln't allow you to USE it all, and it would go right through you. Either that, or you'd suddenly undertand that you were in a hospital somewhere, being told that for the last three years you've been claiming to be an orange or a grapefruit or some such shit.

I know someone whose first experience (at 16) involved only eating half a hit, then eating another quarter a few hours later... and only finding out a few weeks later that when he was told it was "four way" that meant it was 4 full hits, intended to be cut into quarters, to ingest ONE of them. He thought it meant it gave you "four way" hallucinations, whatever that might have meant, and inadvertently ate 3 hits his first time. He was having full blown visuals 48 hours later, which I have been told is impossible, due to depletion of certain brain chemicals like seratonin.

Of course, there was also a friend who once started the night cutting up a sheet of 1000 hits of windowpane with a razor blade. Witnesses claim he started eating every tenth hit and stuck a couple under his eyelids. He was not right for days and days. He went to another friend's house and hid in the basement and wouldn't talk to anyone for at least 24 hours.

Dude was never really right after that. He drowned swimming in a quarry a couple months later at 18 or 19, the summer after we graduated.

If there are any youngsters out there who shouldn't be reading this shit... the oldsters like to joke about it, but we all know people whose lives were very seriously affected and even damaged by this kind of behavior. Why do you think they call it DOPE?

14. Jeff

Jeff *uniquewoodworld*

excellent point Z. Those that didnt die during stupid stunts like this, probably should have. It aint no joke.

15. beergoddess

beergoddess shorter than endowed Lady Devil

wait a minute.... lsat time i answered that question.... i got knocked up! a few times!

16. leanne

leanne collects metal Lady Devil

somethin tells me i should get some magic mint.....

bad leanne!!

17. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Completely out of fucks to give Brigade Member

Hell yeah, where do I sign up:spin:

18. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

When I first took acid it was legal - I didn't know what it was and imagined it similar to smoking pot. I thought I could do it during lunch break from my printmaking class in college. Soooo ... I left my plate and tools on the table where I was working ... hee hehee ....

3 DAZE later I returned - That LSD was made at Johns Hopkins where it was being researched. It came in 3 in. by 1/2in diameter glass vials coloured either red or yellow. We knew one "was stronger" but didn't know which was which so we just laughed and choose the color we liked best. I did red. :D:

... long ago and in another density ... a gentler universe ... I floated, sang and crunched colour ... laughing at happy bloody tears ... flares of patterned neon flashed from a distant horizon - a landscape of connected beings ... morphing into jointed metal spiders (with reflections!) ... we read one another's minds and felt the paradigm shift ... we were all one entity

I didn't know I had taken a drug, I didn't remember I was human (the word human didn't mean anything) ... it was pretty impressive.

But...

Later that week I had to take my roommate to a mental hospital. I wasn't allowed to visit her. I had precognitive awareness of what her room looked like (example: I knew she had a pillow covered in fabric with one inch pink squares )which her sister later confirmed. I packed her belongings so her family could move her to a hospital closer to Florida where they lived. She was hospitalized almost 2 years.

I had frequent dreams that she was in my room asking me to join her ...

19. xrayzebra

That explains a few things, eh?

20. Jeff

Jeff *uniquewoodworld*

What? I can't hear you?

beergoddess likes this.