1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Youtube Demonetized All But Seven Of My Videos

22MEANTXGUNS22 Apr 8, 2017

1. 22MEANTXGUNS22

22MEANTXGUNS22 Huge member

I still can't believe this. All because big corporations found out that a few D-Bags who made videos promoting hate speech and things of a similar nature had ads for their businesses in these videos, now EVERYONE has to suffer. I had almost thought I dodged a bullet as all videos show up as monetized on my video manager, but after checking them from a different location and not signed in, I saw that all but a handful of my videos, including my Cold Steel Reviews, which were pretty much the biggest money makers of my content, have had ads removed. They removed ads for weapon reviews, updates, modifications, practicality videos, they demonetized videos showing my movie collection, hell they even demonetized videos of my cats. No hate speech, no threats, nothing controversial or political in nature, just regular reviews of walking sticks and showcase videos of my movie collection. I always went out of my way to be the first to review many CS products, and if you look up a review for any CS walking stick, my videos are always on the first page and usually have the most views, save for a few bigger and better known channels than mine. People think that those who make money off their channels are just a bunch of slackers who need to get real jobs, but they don't understand the time and effort that goes into these videos. Hell, some work harder at keeping their viewers informed/entertained than they do at their joe jobs. Well I did appeal it and I find out on Monday what the outcome will be. I don't do well enough to make a living off my vids but do well enough to occasionally buy the products that people ask me to review. Worst case scenario I'll have to do a redux series of a redux series, though I doubt I'd get the numbers I got with my top twenty vids. OK, well just had to get that off my chest. If big corporate is so concerned over extremists using their ads on YouTube, why can't they just pull ads from their channels by using the reporting system that has ALWAYS BEEN THERE, instead of the whole damn YouTube community ?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    begreen61 and Berkley like this.
  2. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Ouch.

Hey, the new ones will be better ...

begreen61 likes this.
  3. desmodus

desmodus Guano Loco Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

too many sensitive sheeple who ruin it for the rest of us...

begreen61, droid and norcal13 like this.
  4. 22MEANTXGUNS22

Oh that's not even the worst of it, as it turns out, I misunderstood the circumstances of this all. As it turns out, the real reason is that the Wall Street Journal ran some screen shots of videos with racially offensive titles..... with ads for Coca Cola on it, as well as other big name brands who run ads on YouTube vids. The thing is, those videos would never make it past approval for monetization with such titles, leading many to believe that they either deliberately used fake screen shots, or didn't check their sources before using said screen shots. We're pretty sure this is only temporary because if I understood correctly, this is not just affecting those who make a living off their channels, but this is also hitting YouTube pretty hard in the wallet as well. If this continues, it may actually be the end of YouTube, but I have faith that Google will go to bat for us and try and emphasize their guidelines and system to enforce them to the people who pulled their ads from their site. I mean, the CEOs of these companies have higher educations and what not, so I'd like to think they would have the common sense to understand that just because a few bigoted jerks had their ads in their videos doesn't mean that EVERY SINGLE PERSON, who has their ads in their videos is a bigot just like them. I appealed all my demonetized vids but after revisiting a few of them, I think light cursing in some of my videos may have been to blame, but worst case scenario I can offer to censor out bad words, either by muting them out or adding in a beep noise (there are a few channels where people turn this into a gag by using recordings of them going "BEEP" as opposed to using an actual beep sound). Right when I was going to do some reviews on some of United Cutlery items too.

Well I find out some time tomorrow if I get then remonetized, if not, apparently I'm gonna have to remake all my reviews, modifications, updates, and practicality videos into fucking girly man versions of their former selves. From what I can gather, I won't be able to curse, use edgy jokes, and possibly not even do smash or cut demonstrations. Oh, something that kind of just ads insult to this all, I recently came across a video of a young woman singing an acoustic version of "I Touch Myself" by the Divinyls. Despite being sexually suggestive in nature and a copyright infringement (these are things that make a video ineligible for monetization), sure enough, I saw a fucking ad on their video. Clearly there is no consistency in the reinforcement of this ad pulling. Man I hope this gets reversed real quick.

ded i likes this.
  5. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Just out of curiosity.... ballpark.... what kind of money are we talking about?

I've heard anywhere between tens of dollars to thousands.

begreen61 likes this.
  6. 22MEANTXGUNS22

It's one of those things that sounds simple when told or read, but a whole different story when you actually do it. You get a dollar for every thousand views you generate, and every time you make one hundred dollars it goes into your bank account (you have to set up an adsense account and bank account so when the money is made it goes right to you). It all just depends on how frequently you can generate those numbers. I generally get from 10,000 to 15,000 views a month myself, and since my first videos, I've managed to get a payout at least once a year or so. I'm pretty sure I can do much better, but I don't create videos as often as some of the bigger channels, since Cold Steel only produces a handful of impact weapons and walking sticks/staffs every year (I don't care much for the majority of their knives). I almost wanted to review their trainers but it's already been done (generally the first person to review a product usually gets good, if not, the highest numbers on it). My friend and I discussed possibly making sparring videos of their trainers and some of their walking sticks in action to see if they would in fact hold up as tools for sparring/self defense, but they've cracked down on sparring and freestyling videos as well, since they apparently fall under videos depicting violence, even if it's just a guy freestyling with a martial art weapon, or two guys just playing around just to make a video. It's all a real mess right now and it just sucks because I was planning to try and branch out with different content on my channel when this happened.

I had actually thought of proposing an idea I got after seeing your reputation sharing thread that would involve a similiar system but instead of sharing reputation points, we could all produce Youtube content relating to these forums and basically just put money in each other's and the site owner's pockets, without, you know, getting out of pocket ourselves. I've noticed alot of the number of views for threads on here. If alot of regular posters here created videos related to this forum and it's many sections and got the same amount of views of their videos, they'd probably generate, from a payout or two a month, to a payout every other month. To be fair I only did the math on a handful of other members here, so don't take that as a definitive estimate for everybody. It's pretty much all math. Create as many videos as you can, that can generate 100,000 views as often as possible. If you generated more than 100 dollars in the span of about a month, it goes into your account. It all comes down to effort, presentation, and how dedicated you are to hitting those numbers often enough to be a side job at the least, or a full time job at the most. Clearly I should have thrown this out there for everyone to possibly contemplate before this whole fiasco...

begreen61, ded i, seandavid55 and 2 others like this.
  7. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Interesting. I doubt it will be the end of YouTube - :bangdesk::bigmark::popups:

Kelper and begreen61 like this.
  8. desmodus

desmodus Guano Loco Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Very interesting information on this thread.

begreen61 likes this.
  9. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I've wondered how all that worked. Thanks and good luck. Hope it turns out in your favor.

begreen61 likes this.
  10. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

a) Quit slacking.
    b) Get a real job.

ded i, begreen61, Fenlore and 2 others like this.
  11. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

yup.

begreen61 and crogers like this.
  12. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

The Safe Space crowd will be used for food when the shit hits the fan.
    Tender like Veal.

begreen61, crogers and ded i like this.
  13. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

agreed

crogers likes this.
  14. 22MEANTXGUNS22

Sorry for not relaying this information sooner, but as it turns out, my videos are still good to monetize, just that they're "fine tuning" the system to satisfy advertisers which is resulting in "fluctuations in adsense revenue". I don't know what any of that means, I just know that I made sixty eight percent less in April Than in March last month despite having about over a thousand more views in April than the previous month. Well it was fun while it lasted but I guess my hopes of it becoming a part time job were just that, hopes. Guess I'll just have to settle for a real part time job instead.....

ded i likes this.
  15. desmodus

The house always wins :(

crogers, seandavid55 and ded i like this.