1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

What makes you a "Knife Guy"

Blade HQ Aug 17, 2015

1. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Huge member

I'm not a knife guy, my knives are people blades.

JPGuthrie and zogglet like this.
  2. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade You know the law: Two men enter, one man leaves. JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

$60000

GEEZER likes this.
  3. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

36 Robbie Daltons ,
    13 Medfords,
    11 Busse's
    6 fiddlebacks
    8 new bali's and growing
    3 microtechs
    1 zombie Tool
    Bark/river up the ass
    BHK a few
    Customs too many to name.

Shit forgot my neck knife collection another time.

But I don't have a problem other than I don't have enough knives .

GEEZER, hickory, sam eib and 3 others like this.
  4. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

Maybe it is the obsessive collecting. I can quit any time, though.

crogers and begreen61 like this.
  5. sgt Merrey

sgt Merrey Little member

My life long love of knives,swords hawks and most things that cut.A fairly large collection 100+ pcs,and the guy that always has a least 2 knives on myself at any given time.

hickory, begreen61 and crogers like this.
  6. sam eib

sam eib Average Member

I always say I have enough knives and won't buy anymore, but that doesn't last long.

hickory, begreen61 and crogers like this.
  7. C-Bear

C-Bear Brigade Member Brigade Member

I remember when I was 9/10 years old I spent the summer with my grandparents just outside Rapid City, South Dakota. Every morning we would get up at about 0530 and go for a bike ride for about 10 miles up to the rest area along 90 by Sturgis. We would sit there and he would use his buck 110 to cut up some cheese and crackers and then would sit there with a cup of coffee, the sunrise, my granddad whittling away, munching on some crackers and cheese. By the end of the summer he had let me start carrying his 2-Dot Buck 112 on these rides. I would get to cut my own summer sausage and cheese and sit there whittling with him. When I left at the end of the summer I had purchased a Gerber Gator and carried that for years till it fell out of my pocket on a boat and was gone. Then when grandpa died he left me that same Buck 112.

I have moved away from carrying folding knives, however that one carries a special place in my heart. It still has that same dull as hell convex edge he put on it from running it over a metal "stone" every day, and I think the blade is about half an inch shorter than the height of a blade these days. But it still lives in the corner of my knife drawer and I see it every day.

hickory, sam eib, desmodus and 4 others like this.
  8. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade You know the law: Two men enter, one man leaves. JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Your knife story and mine are pretty similar

C-Bear likes this.
  9. C-Bear

C-Bear Brigade Member Brigade Member

I would imagine several people's stories here would be. It's funny though, it was my mom's dad that I spent the summer with. Turns out my dad (born and raised around Chicago in the 50's/60's) isn't really into knives. He for a long time thought of them as weapons and didn't like me carrying them at all. Then I got him a Spyderco Bug Knife and put it on his key chain. He started finding SO many uses for it. Then he started buying them in bulk and handing them out like candy it was pretty funny. My mom on the other hand bought a Ka-Bar Becker 17 and carries it in her purse.

hickory and BennytheBlade like this.
  10. begreen61

Add 8 more totaling 16 Bali's sense this last post another two more on its their way ,,and still don't have enough WTF,,,I might be poor but I'm rich in knives

hickory and sam eib like this.
  11. sam eib

sam eib Average Member

I'm getting better! It's been two weeks and I haven't bought a cheap knife.

thatsagoodcut, begreen61 and desmodus like this.
  12. begreen61

Up to 30 bali's and working on another one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe two .

13. VANELLI

VANELLI JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Some have already said, many of our stories are similar. Grandpa had a knife, dad gave us a knife, we thought we were knife collector as a child. Then as we get older we try and reconnect with our youth with something simple. Maybe a knife like the one I had back then, or that one knife I always wanted to have.
    And grows from there.

That's my story. Can I still get a free T-shirt with purchase?

begreen61 likes this.
  14. NewWoodyPriapism

NewWoodyPriapism Tiny Member

My story is a little different. I was the son of a fire-and-brimstone Protestant minister who had a terrible temper and mentally and physically abused me and my 4 other siblings. I hated the son-of-a-bitch. My mother died when I was 14 years old after a lengthy and debilitating illness. My father didn't believe in guns or any sort of edged weapons, but I was able to surreptitiously trade kids at school other items for pocket knives. These objects held a fascination for me and my younger brother and we kept them hidden from the old man. Fast forward to adulthood and a three-plus decade career in law enforcement and I still love my collection of guns, switchblades and other weapons such as blackjacks, saps, sjamboks and other unusual weapons. I also raised my two children (now adults) to appropriately respect and collect them.

15. MattBPKT

MattBPKT Little member

Stumbled on great forums like JD, got passionate about knives and just went from there!

begreen61 and desmodus like this.
  16. raccoon city

raccoon city Home of Umbrella

Knives like me. [​IMG]

begreen61 and Kelper like this.
  17. hickory

hickory Little Member

shit man you are my hero. I love the ONE I have though!

begreen61 likes this.
  18. begreen61

Thats an old picture have probably 15 to 20 more not sure have them all packet up was going last Sunday to another collector .They cancelled ,but I get an updated picture ,,ones out with a friend {one of my main pieces}, they are sending it back in a few days then I take a family photo . Plus tomorrow completing a transaction on a mint Tempest w/paperwork can't wait .

19. hickory

hickory Little Member

Oh I'll have to look for the group shot, I didn't see a pic of your collection.
    I just googled Terry Guinn.... man this forum is going to get expensive!

Looking up Tempest now. Oh, it's a HOM? Cool!
    I love the blade profile. Really happy for you.

desmodus and begreen61 like this.
  20. benzen12

benzen12 Tiny Member

This is nostalgia...
    My first knife I ever owned was a Buck knife my dad got me for my 8th birthday. A couple days later I needed stitches because my widling skills were lacking. Shortly after my two cousins and I were scrounging around in the junkyard that was on my grandparents property. We found a old junked out Camaro and dug around in it like all the other cars we found. Inside we found a butterfly knife. No idea what kind. It was the coolest thing EVER! We played with it for a few days. We had a spot where we would hide it so our parents wouldn't find it on our property. It ended up disapearing. I suspect my uncle got it one way or another since my cousins could never keep secrets. Either way, since then I've been a Balisong fanatic. They're just the coolest thing.