1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Trendy 42 price spikes

bruzanHD Jul 17, 2017

1. bruzanHD

bruzanHD Huge member

Has anyone else noticed that 42's tend to come in and out of style every year or so? Of course the prices spike as well, just last year plenty of 42's were selling right around $300-$350, before that for a while mostly $400+. Now a days though $350 would be a dream. But the 42 more than the other 4x knives even. Thoughts?

Obligatory picture:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Dustygmt likes this.
  2. gunlove

gunlove Average member

There's some fluxuation but generally they are go up in value. Perhaps the market is a bit seasonal like the firearms market which is best in the spring and fall. Or perhaps its an even smaller market and fluxuates on its own. I havent seen them as low as the last month (500-550) all year.
    The 42 is a great knife and important piece of history.

Dustygmt likes this.
  3. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

I have sold a few in the past month for $500 on the benchmade forum. They always sell within 24-48 hours.

Still not sure why Benchmade won't listen to flippers and produce this balisong.....even if they had to charge more for it....

4. bruzanHD

bruzanHD Huge member

I think the problem is that cast handles just wouldn't fly with today's standards. And if the milled the handles out of a billet the balance would be different and prevent it from flipping as well.

5. HedaCoon

HedaCoon JDBA4L Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

I'm not sure but I remember people trying to flush their 42 right after hearing about the new channel titanium bm was working on last year. That could be why it dipped down to 300-400ish. Then it came back up after the release of 87 as it's not even a competition with all the "updates"

6. gunlove

gunlove Average member

The cast handles did have QC problems. Benchmade has maintained better QC all around since then. I had one 154cm BM42 that was pretty bad.... no one can say the QC of the 6x is bad, the designe just sucks! and the 87 is better but no replacement for the 42 or competition for the BRS's

7. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

....most people who were around at that time know that the quality problems were due to the dies getting old and decrepit ...they also know that`s the reason BM will not bring back the 4X series .
    Dies costs thousands of dollars and BM knows they will not make the money they will invest for these dies back, from such a bad seller..namely the 4X series...

thegoodedge likes this.
  8. Echo_6R

Echo_6R Tiny Member

This and the milling costs would be unreal, theyd be selling north of 400 at least

9. gunlove

gunlove Average member

...hmm like the 87 price

Jedi87 likes this.
  10. Echo_6R

Echo_6R Tiny Member

Maybe not as expensive, but this also assumes that they dont throw bushings and all that gay shit into the series.