1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

TACH 2 PINS GIVE ME ANXIETY

markus_hofer Dec 2, 2017

1. markus_hofer

markus_hofer Tiny Member

Hi, i resently purchased a beautiful stock tach 2 black bowie.

The only issue i found with it is... I can simply push the tangpins out with my thumb.
    They kind of *click* in position but they come out really easy. And Iam just super scares to lose them!

I tried super glue but it seems to be too brittle.

Does anyone have a similar problem?

And does someone have a solution or a good idea?

I would be very grateful! Ty!

begreen61 likes this.
  2. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Good Question:
    This is a Matt Cook ( pinoy knife ) or Jason Lyons ( Blackmetal1181 ) question ,, who may give this thread advice if they come across it . But me with no advice I would first try to center them and squeeze them in a vise just a hair to expand them . in theory that should work But if your vise is not true you could bend or flat top the pins ,,which also is a good point what is the metal pins made out of too soft/hard metal??? ..Forewarned I have broken things trying to fix them many a time and this was the first and only thing I could come with with out having the knife in my hand .there will be other answers from other members with maybe better advice so...............................

seandavid55 likes this.
  3. markus_hofer

markus_hofer Tiny Member

I would have uploaded pictures but all the files are to big, i guess my camera is too good lol.
    I think its hard metal!
    Squeezing them to expand them sounds like a really good idea!

Thank you very much!

begreen61 likes this.
  4. desmodus

desmodus puta de corazón frío Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I've heard red loctite will hold them for a while.

5. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I would locktite and squeeze.

markus_hofer and begreen61 like this.
  6. Pinoy Knife

Pinoy Knife JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

so the biggest problem is the tang pin is stepped to size then pressed into the blade.so pushing the pin in works for a very short time. you can not expand this type of pin since there is a shoulder/step making the tang pin stop in the blade. it requires new tang pins made on a latheto fix it correctly

7. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

Loctite 609, referred to as "green Loctite", is made to hold bearings and bushings in place. Brownell's carries it to lock sights into dovetail slots. It might work, butt* to be honest, I've never tried it for this.

It's classed as medium hold, so it will be possible to disassemble later, if needed.

It's available at other places too. Like amazon, and ebay.

8. markus_hofer

markus_hofer Tiny Member

Oh, okay, thank you! Then i will try some "metal glue" for now.

I will just flipp it at home until i can trust it.

9. markus_hofer

markus_hofer Tiny Member

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! This community is so awesome!

begreen61 likes this.
  10. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Yea,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,We are as a community ,,,Awesome. and that's just a fact .

seandavid55 and markus_hofer like this.
  11. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

We're glad that you are eager to participate in our beloved forum, butt* we DO require that EVERYONE post an introduction before anything else. I notice that you have failed to do so.

Please go to the Testing the Waters. New member introductions forum at http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/testing-the-waters-new-member-introductions.34/ and tell us a little about yourself.

Otherwise, :2ful:

markus_hofer and begreen61 like this.
  12. TheBecoming

TheBecoming Tiny Member

I think this could be the easiest quick fix. I worked at a machine shop and when boring sprockets to press fit bearings if it was 0.001 over the bearing wouldn’t press in. We would use this on those occasions. We had one that was even 0.005 that we used it on out of curiosity and after setting it required a lot of heat before it would come out.

I’ve been looking for a nice tachyon 2 is this a common issue with them?

13. markus_hofer

markus_hofer Tiny Member

14. markus_hofer

markus_hofer Tiny Member

[QUOTE="markus_hofer, post: 1922247, member:

Yes the tangpins are a common issue.
    ... otherwise its a great balisong.
    Especially for such a old model