1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

small forged knife project (toothpick?)

hickory Oct 29, 2017

1. Jim L.

Jim L. knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

seandavid55 likes this.
  2. hickory

hickory JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

That is quite the endorsement. I'm going to have to pause buying -moooore kniiives- and go pick up the 1x30 and an angle grinder. Mr. Sun, please return and heat up the smithy....

begreen61, Jim L. and seandavid55 like this.
  3. Jim L.

begreen61 and desmodus like this.
  4. hickory

Okie dokie. Thanks for this post, it motivated me to get out there today during naptime.
    I bought a 3/16 cobalt drill bit and drill chuck and figured out that my drill press IS in working order!
    I had holes marked on my tang area but decided to just wing it instead.
    I drilled a pilot hole first and then knocked in the 3/16. It was fun drilling metal and it made some nice spindles.
    I then pulled up a scrap piece of walnut board from the barn and scribed out the handle scales on it.
    I took that to the bandsaw and cut out some rough blanks.
    Marking and drilling holes was a PROCESS, I can't wait to learn better methods because it was PITA but I think it will all fit together.
    So now the real fun!
    I'm going to do the final finishing before HEAT TREAT
    and then shape the handles
    test-fit the handles and dry assemble everything
    epoxy
    sharpen

let's see how it goes! I am excited about the heat treat, I haven't gotten to use my new(est) forge yet...

5. Jim L.

Good Man! Keep 'em coming! .

6. Jim L.

Don't leave us hangin', Bro.

1. How're things with the the baby? I haven't seen any due dates.

2. Did you finish the sheet rocking in time?

3. Do you have pics of (a) the baby and (b) the pig sticker?

seandavid55 and desmodus like this.
  7. hickory

Baby came safe and sound two weeks ago, keeping me on my toes!
    The sheet rocking is 'done' suuure.... actually, everything is looking pretty good.

I'll be putting up pics for all you devils but here is an update:

So I will have to transfer a bunch of pics and upload them to have something to go along with this, but I just wanted to let everyone know I've got my forge set back up and have been messing around. I made some hooks to hold back curtains, which was nice...
    but tonight: I got to (finally) heat treat that big old bowie my buddy Dan and I made (mostly Dan, but I swung the sledge) out of a rock-breaking bit.
    It took me two tries but I got it super duper hard after the second quench.

I've got it in the toaster oven at 400 as we speak. 60 min x 3 at 400 is my plan. Think it is S-1 or S-5 or some such thing.

desmodus, Jim L. and seandavid55 like this.
  8. hickory

Hmm...after one cycle, it's a little softer. Not sure I want it too much softer but I'll hit it again since this should be a tough shock-resistant monster when its finished! My first Bowie!

Wow! It's true they don't get a soul till you heat treat it. Before HT it swung like a lead stick, I just swung it and man now it feels great and SISIINNNGSS!!! Whoopie! Tomorrow, hopefully, it gets a handle and we get sharp and hack hack hack something!

I won't lie, I just want to sharpen it and use it! screw handles.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    desmodus, Jim L. and seandavid55 like this.
  9. Jim L.

Congrats Bro. !

10. hickory

So do I have to take the thick heat treat bevel all the way to a nice sharp one with just stones? I don't want to ruin the heat treat grinding on it with my bench grinder... hmm...

11. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

Watch your heat. Dip in water FREQUENTLY, and you should be OK with a grinder.

Just remember... CAREFUL! Hold it in bare fingers to help judge when it starts to get hot and be EXTRA careful on the thinner parts, you know, the edge and tip.

Jim L., desmodus and seandavid55 like this.
  12. Jim L.

First, check with a file to make sure that you haven't softened it up too much ( I've had to requench a couple times because I took the temper too far). A belt sander is ideal for this purpose. You still have to make sure that the piece doesn't get too hot.

You can do a "hand grind" where you start off with a hardwood sanding block and coarse through fine sand paper. It can be tedious this way, but very theraputic.

hickory likes this.
  13. hickory

I like the results after the triple temper. I test fit all my pins and we are still good to go. The handle scales are final rough shaped and they were too too thick. I ripped them with my bandsaw. then I got excited and screwed them all up and had to mangle up another one on the table saw because my bandsaw only cuts to the right now. anywho, I took the scales down to 10mm because they were too too too thick.

I think I'm going to do a little woodworking and clean up them scales some before I do a glue up, final shaping, and sharpening! woo woo!! here we go!

Jim L. and seandavid55 like this.
  14. hickory

Code:
    <blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/VdGZMbV"><a href="//imgur.com/VdGZMbV"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    https://imgur.com/a/VdGZMbV

seandavid55 and Jim L. like this.
  15. Jim L.

Beautiful baby pics. Thank you for sharing. Your pig sticker is really coming along.

seandavid55 and hickory like this.
  16. hickory

begreen61 and seandavid55 like this.
  17. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

whats the bad news ,rome wasn't built in a day ,looks find as long as she cuts,,too many pretty knives out there ,,maybe your start a new trend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,keep them sharp!!!

g

Jim L. and seandavid55 like this.
  18. Jim L.

That crack/break sucks. You can glue it back. You can also replace the scale. Just be careful when peining. Looking good so far.

19. hickory

I'm going to get my bandsaw straightened out and make another scale. no big deal. it cracked putting in the pin, pissed me off. I had only dry-fit it fifty times

Jim L. likes this.
  20. Jim L.

Is the handle cedar? It can be a fight to keep it from cracking. If you have a way of tapering the hole slightly it will be less of an issue.

Another thing you can do is to is to slightly drill to pin hole in the scale slightly over size, ( ex.) If the pin is 1/8 in., drill the pin hole in the scale to 5/32 in (1/8 = 2/16 = 4/32). 9/64 ( if you can find one) will be a scoach tighter.

Before installing the pins, rough 'em up a bit with 120 to 150 grit sand paper. This makes the pin material grippier. A dab of glue on the pin material when you install the pins before peining helps a lot too if your looking for a "dry mounted" scale. The glue can darken the wood.

Every one who peins their pins has at one time put hammer to pin one time too many. It's looking good, Bro. Keep pics coming!

desmodus likes this.