1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

small forged knife project (toothpick?)

hickory Oct 29, 2017

1. hickory

hickory Average Member

forged a little knife. went to my buddy's pretty well-appointed (paradise to me) shop. I swung the 12lb sledge which apparently is my calling in life! it's nice to have found your purpose.
    made it from a jackhammer hammer spike.
    anything good about he forged. anything disproportionate or ugly I forged...but we thinned the bar out with huge sledge blows and I was in my glory.
    I look forward to the figuring, grinding, and then HT research. My toaster oven isn't big enough for tempering this!

My buddy says "This is a rediculous knife!"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hickory

hickory Average Member

OAL 16 3/4", Blade length 11". I'm figuring? it is an S-series steel? Jim Hrisoulas says "Air Hammer Bits" are S-5 1600-1700, quench in oil, temper 350-450
    worth a shot. I'm going to try and harden the cutoff first to see what I'm working with here.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  3. Clydetz

Clydetz straight and true Brigade Member

Looks like you've got a busy day ahead of you!

4. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

Are you planning on killing a cow to make a sheath? :bwah:

Kelper and seandavid55 like this.
  5. hickory

hickory Average Member

Lots of work! Yep.

Kelper likes this.
  6. hickory

hickory Average Member

Good question. It IS deer season...hmm... or maybe a dozen squirrels!

Kelper likes this.
  7. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I got to say Will, you have a lot of heart,,,I will say,, "no pun intended "..Keep it rolling ,,

hickory and seandavid55 like this.
  8. hickory

hickory Average Member

Thanks that means a lot. The encouragement is super helpful. I have some handle-finishing to do and it's pretty much going to be done with a half round file and possibly a little dremel.

begreen61 and seandavid55 like this.
  9. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I think it's awesome what you've been doing. Keep sharing and keep it up!

begreen61 likes this.
  10. hickory

hickory Average Member

The damn buy/sell knife forum here is aaaawesome! I gotta get some $$ if I'm going to get that carter neck knife, the JD bark river, etc etc.

I've got my eyes on a better balisong now... Probably looking in the $100-200 range, if I can get a BM51, Kimura, or something I'll be pretty happy. I've got too much cool stuff at the moment so mama aint givin no new toys any love! ;)

11. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

harbor freight has a little 1 inch belt sander for under 50.00 good starter ,, I had one ,, it shit to bed but did work for a while ,belts I was getting off the net some where .

12. hickory

hickory Average Member

Yeah you are right, I desperately need to take a trip to Harbor Freight. A belt grinder would be fantastic. I'm wanting/needing a little $15 angle grinder too. It's tricky to put in bevels on a bench grinder, I'm finding.

Jim L. and begreen61 like this.
  13. Jim L.

Jim L. knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Draw your bevel lines with a sharpie and start them with the belt grinder. Tune the angles with a flat bastich (bastard file). Finish with a sanding block (I call it "hand grinding") starting with 50 grit working up to as high a grit as you want. Be careful of your center line along the edge.

I start with the flats of the blade and handle before moving to the bevels. That helps me to set an even bevel angle. YMMV.

AND don't leave us hanging, man. Give us pics. With such a great start, I'd love to see that knife's progress.

begreen61 and seandavid55 like this.
  14. hickory

hickory Average Member

Thanks for the encouragement and detailed suggestions! I got out into the shop and puttered around tonight. I'm expecting to get some good work done on the knives this week. I have some good ideas as to what I have here to use for handle material. I am stuck on pin stock. I've got to buy epoxy yet. Once I have pin stock figured out, I can drill the holes. I am looking forward to heat treating. I got 5/6 gallons of bacon grease here at the ready - it weighs like 40 pounds! I was hoping to find some brass rod or something, thought I had some in the barn. I may end up using nails? It seems like steel would be a good, strong, pin material. I know some cats use stainless steel pins.

begreen61 likes this.