1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Show your Paper Wheel edges

kwackster May 8, 2017

1. kwackster

kwackster Huge member

This special version of the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in CPM-M4 steel & carbon fiber is in use with a Dutch knife forum member.
    A small fraction of the tip had broken off and the apex sustained some damage (see pic 3)
    This is how the knife looked before sharpening.
    You can click 2 X on each pic for more detail.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

After sharpening.
    First i ground the old apex flat on the Tormek Blackstone until all damage in the apex was gone & there was a new point.
    Then i made a new edge with 15 micron diamond compound on a Paper Wheel, which was then refined with 6, 3, and 1 micron diamond compound on dedicated Paper Wheels to a full mirror.
    The new edge measures 30 degrees inclusive and is hairwhittling sharp.
    You can click 2 X on each pic for more detail.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. kwackster

kwackster Huge member

Dustar Model 1 Arad 67 Commemorative combat knife from a collector.
    The factory "edge" was very rough and also still had a burr so thick that i could lift the entire knife from the table by hooking it with my finger nail.
    Edge angle was +/- 45 degrees inclusive which i left intact as the customer did not want wider bevels.
    After grinding the apex flat on the Tormek Blackstone the edge was resharpened on a Paper Wheel with 15 micron diamond compound then deburred with a second Paper Wheel with 3 micron diamond compound, an the new edge can just treetop the hairs on the back of my hand.
    Probably the most wear resistant D2 steel i have sharpened so far.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

desmodus likes this.
  3. kwackster

kwackster Huge member

This vintage Al Mar Applegate Fairbairn dagger from a display collection had factory edges which were rather coarse, had a few flat spots, and a flattened point.
    Since the "R" from Rex Applegate's signature was already quite close to the +/- 50 degrees inclusive factory edge i chose not to reprofile but instead just polish the existing bevels a bit with successively 15.0 micron, 3.0 micron, and 1.0 micron diamond compound on dedicated Paper Wheels.
    Both new edges can shave the hair on the back of my hand on skin level.
    ( click each pic 2 x for a bit more detail)

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]