1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Remington 700 rifle linked to potentially deadly defect

medit8 Feb 20, 2017

1. medit8

medit8 Brigade Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

2. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. I thought the trigger problem was solved long ago.

Tragic stories. Makes me curious though, do that many people put that much trust in a mechanical safety? Don't misunderstand me, safeties and triggers should work properly. Without a doubt. But if someone is shot, someone was pointing a loaded firearm at them. Even in these accidents, why is the gun loaded and being pointed at someone?

If you have a gun in your hands, your responsible for the condition of the firearm as well as where the muzzle is pointed.

Remington buck up, take responsibility and fix your shit. As far as accountability goes, I just can't put it all on Remington.

Am I wrong?

Lapedog and crogers like this.
  3. exile82187

exile82187 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I heard about this, it makes me not trust remington as much as I used to knowing that they knew of such a potentially life threatening flaw in one of their most popular rifles.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Lapedog, crogers and seandavid55 like this.
  4. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

Ugly story on several counts. This should put an end to any consumer confidence for Remington. It seems so blatant it is hard to believe.

crogers and seandavid55 like this.
  5. TopHat

TopHat Drivin' that train..... Brigade Member

1. Always treat all firearms as if they were loaded.
    2. Never allow the muzzle of any firearm to point at anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Never put your finger near the trigger until you are ready to fire. Do not depend on any mechanical device for safety!
    4. Always be sure of your target, and what is behind and in front of it.

crogers, seandavid55 and Dutchtracker like this.
  6. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

This has been going on for years ,The triggers been defective for years now and Remington has know and has done nothing to stop it ,because it's still happening . I've knowed about it for at least 10 years maybe more .Thought they fix the problem by now .

seandavid55 and crogers like this.
  7. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

About 20 years ago, my dad had an accidental discharge while unloading my Rem. 700 at the end of the day. He shifted the safety to the "Fire" position, a step that has to be completed in order to open the bolt and clear the chamber, and BOOM!

Fortunately, he was following safety rules and only killed the spare tire on his truck. I've owned that rifle for 44 years and I've never had an accidental discharge with it.

BUTT*, I ALWAYS follow safety rules and make damn sure that it's NEVER pointed at anything that I don't intend to shoot!

begreen61 likes this.
  8. taoist

taoist taoist JDBA Official Member

Yup, nothing new here except continued negligence by Remington.

crogers and begreen61 like this.
  9. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Little member JDBA Official Member

I am not very knowlegable about the internal firing mechanism of the 700, I'm sure I could get a few schems to look at to get a better idea but my initial thought after reading is that there has to be a pretty disastrous design flaw to be able to fire without engaging the trigger...
    How could they screw up so badly.........twice??? I honestly think we are a pretty sue happy society but in this case I hope the defendants take the farm. Wtf?
    Also, this thread made me think of this but as a PSA to those who own a Colt 1903 hammerless .32 and don't know, don't carry with one in the pipe. They are not drop safe....

10. RazorSharp

RazorSharp RZRSHRPDVL Brigade Member

Always two sides to a story, not picking a side, just saying.

http://gravelagency.com/index.php/news/83-remington-responds-to-60-minutes

What I will side with though is that if people followed the basic fundamentals of gun safety A.C.T.S & P.R.O.V.E there would never be "accidental" shootings, defective firearms or not.

ACTS
    Assume every firearm is loaded.
    Control the muzzle direction at all times.
    Trigger finger must be kept off the trigger and out of the trigger guard.
    See that the firearm is unloaded - PROVE it safe.

PROVE
    Point the firearm in the safest available direction.
    Remove all ammunition.
    Observe the chamber.
    Verify the feeding path.
    Examine the bore.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    seandavid55 likes this.
  11. L R Harner

L R Harner They call me "Butch" Knife Maker or Craftsman

if i was a betting man i woudl say it woudl hahve been done to make the triger light and crisp

seandavid55 likes this.
  12. taoist

taoist taoist JDBA Official Member

It don't make much sense that common sense don't make no sense no more
    - John Prine

crogers and seandavid55 like this.
  13. MoonrakerXT

MoonrakerXT Little member

The best safety for ALL guns is to be locked up in a good gun safe with ammo locked in a separate lockable cabinet. Very sad story but I myself can see more faults than just Remington here in this sad story.

14. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Took my 700 BDL 30.06 to one of the recall centers today. Super nice people and changed the trigger while I waited. Glad I did. probably would never been a problem. Butt....

stdlrf11 likes this.
  15. Lapedog

Lapedog Little member

Apparently the rifles were going off when people were turning the safety off without touching the trigger.