1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Protech Harkins vs Magic BR-1

rye_a May 18, 2017

1. rye_a

rye_a Little member

Now that automatic knives are legal in Colorado (or will be 90 days from the close of the legislative session), I am planning to get a Protech to add to my EDC rotation. The two knives that I am interested in are the Harkins ATAC and the Magic BR-1. Anyone have experience with either or both of these knives? any recommendation between the two?

2. gzb

gzb Moderator Super Moderator

Just my opinion, but the ATAC is a little more knife. It's also twice as expensive.

Double Action, machined clip, and a little easier to open for most folks.

They're currently discontinued and difficult to find FS on the other hand...

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    fastr19 likes this.
  3. kizuf

kizuf czechee ďábel JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I only have the JD ATAC. It's a very 'classy' knife, I love the design and action. I agree double action is fine.
    I thought I would carry it, but I do not like the clip much, because I find it difficult to use on my jeans. But it's my only/first machined clip knife besides Hawk Deadlock, however they have 'spring' clip. So I can't chime in about any use of the knife.

BHQ has them, I think, thus not so difficult to get.

Talking about the knife mine came not centered and the blade grind is uneven. Which for knife that price is a bit disappointing. Perhaps it is just my knife, but in my situation (overseas and it being JD edition) I'm OK with that.

4. desmodus

desmodus Cabeza Caliente Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Mine weren't perfect either.

I can't carry it in NY at all...

5. gzb

gzb Moderator Super Moderator

And so they do now. I stand corrected...

6. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade You know the law: Two men enter, one man leaves. JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I love both. The harkins is is bigger but can accidentally go off... its is very unlikely, only once with me and I still carry it as it was sorta a freak thing. The whiskers isa more gentlemans knife and I do love the trick bolster release.
    If you just want a pocket knife, get the magic, but if you need something a little bigger go harkins
    Tell us what you decide.

7. tnhawk

tnhawk Little member

I haven't seen the Harkins but love my BR-1