1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic waste.

Kelper Aug 23, 2017

1. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

51M1X, begreen61 and seandavid55 like this.
  2. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I worked in the Marshall Islands for a couple years. I visited many islands, uninhabited islands. The amount of plastic water bottles stuck on the beaches and shores is astounding.

begreen61 and Kelper like this.
  3. Kelper

begreen61 likes this.
  4. Bobert

Bobert Look what I can do!

A lot of things are made out of recycled plastic these days. However, I don't recommend the plastic condoms. They build up static electricity. It was kinda cool when our hair stood up, but the sparks stung so bad we almost didn't finish......

Jim L., Towelie, crogers and 3 others like this.
  5. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

threads like this is awesome , we need to save the planet so we can live on as a species , or we will die off and the plant will heal it's self .. Read and learn and help , be aware of what's happing in this world . JUST CARE PLEASE for are earth and children future and all mankind,,again great thread .

6. Kelper

seandavid55, begreen61 and crogers like this.
  7. begreen61

seandavid55 and Kelper like this.
  8. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

If I recall correctly, California banned plastic grocery bags years ago. CA has some ridiculous laws, but I can really argue with that one.

I've worked in Oregon a lot this summer, their deposit system seems to keep a lot of the recyclable materials in the recycle bin. Every day I'd see people of all kind picking up and turning in glass and plastic bottles. Can't help but think it would be beneficial at a national level.

Jim L., begreen61 and Kelper like this.
  9. Kelper

Thanks Gary, I have several friend's that say it contains fake news. I try to make up my own mind. Lol

10. Kelper

11. begreen61

Oh there fake news everywhere the BBC just happens to be the best out there for less bias news .and they do cover more stories .

Kelper likes this.
  12. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

I like the idea very much (my fence is recycled milk jugs and straw according to the manufacturer) of recycling plastics, however I do wonder about the eventual breakdown of whatever the end product is (road, fence, RonLa's extensive collection of "resin" weiner-dog statuary). That is it seems like a lot of it breaks into tiny pieces that end up in our waterways contaminating the food chain.

Jim L., Kelper, begreen61 and 2 others like this.
  13. Kelper

Contaminants are definitely a problem, at least for the moment manufacturing is recycling some of this junk. We ourselves, need to be more aware of this situation and try and recycling as much as possible. I don't drink tap water using bottled, how safe that is I don't know. Year's ago studies came out saying that our water was also contaminated with medicines excreted from humans. Scary stuff!.

Jim L. and crogers like this.
  14. HedaCoon

HedaCoon *is not a coon Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

Everyday items like plastic microbeads in facewash/bodywash, fleece jackets, not to mention hormone chemicals are serious pollutants for the water. We can filter the big stuffs, but those things are so tiny, they pass through a lot of our processing steps.
    And like many of you mentioned, we don't know yet about the break down of plastics, and what they release into the water.
    As for now, at least we can try limiting our impacts.

crogers and Kelper like this.
  15. desmodus

desmodus puta de corazón frío Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

If you drink bottled water at all please consider this:

A lot of places keep pallets of water out on the curb in front of their businesses. The sun burning down on those bottles all day breaks down the plastic on some level and it has been shown to cause cancer (more in women than men and most often breast cancer at that).

Please do not drink from these bottles at all.

Even if it is blown out of proportion, why take the chance?

crogers and Kelper like this.
  16. Kelper

I totally agree with you desmondus indications suggest dangers from reusing those bottles. Which put's us back to more plastic waste.

This is also very true Headacoon, microbeads seem to be the in thing. What happened to good old soap and water.?

17. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

Plastic beads...I imagine them as the baking soda in cocaine. They are cutting their products with extra weight, raising their profit while getting rid of waste plastic in your soap products.

Not that I know anything about cutting cocaine, but the principle is the same IMHO. Nevermind the waste aspect. Money motivates everything in our world. We have to make it too expensive (by not buying the shit, or through regulation), otherwise they will continue to be used.

It is NOT about achieving effective exfoliation, that's for sure.

obi

desmodus and Kelper like this.
  18. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

CokeSpider.gif

Jim L., seandavid55, HedaCoon and 2 others like this.
  19. Kelper

https://www.greenparty.org/program/oldprogram/p_matls.html
    This apparently is Green Party stuff. Interesting reading. It makes sense to recycle for general use such as fencing and so on. In hygiene and beauty products to make it more appealing to the consumer, no shouldn't be a need for that.

20. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

seandavid55, crogers and Kelper like this.