1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Pics of your yard or critters in your yard

Shike Sep 21, 2016

1. Clydetz

Clydetz straight and true Brigade Member

She insists the seed package said jalapenos. All I know is she cut up a few in her homemade salsa & they were spicy hot!

begreen61 and crogers like this.
  2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

I thought they looked a little habanero-ish myself. I think the seeds maybe got mis-labeled. :unintroduced:

Berkley and begreen61 like this.
  3. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Anyone know what kind of fish? They are over a foot long and live in a brackish canal in FL., the same canal where I feed the turtles. Sorry I don't have a better picture, they don't show themselves often.

upload_2017-10-3_5-57-43.png

seandavid55 and crogers like this.
  4. gzb

gzb Moderator Super Moderator

Those look like baby Tarpon ded i...

Though they are a saltwater fish and can get over 200+ #'s, in smaller bodies of brackish water they only grow to a size comparable to the food and water body size.
    My father, a surgeon, had a couple in a large saltwater tank in his office that we caught and stocked it with. They were around 8 inches for years until he got a new tank twice as large.
    Those two Tarpon doubled in size in 8 months after eating everything else in the tank.

Great sport fish that should be always released unharmed as they aren't good to eat...

[​IMG]

Shike, begreen61, ded i and 3 others like this.
  5. ded i

Okay, that makes sense. That looks like fun fishing. :fishing:

We often see a few swimming together and they're about the same size they were when I first saw them 2 years ago. Now I'm trying to figure out the difference between tarpon and snook. Tnx you.

Shike likes this.
  6. gzb

Tarpon and Snook coexist in a lot of waters. Snook, also called Robalo in Central America, are one of best, if the not the best eating saltwater fish there is IMO. Comparably smaller with yellow fins and a prominent lateral line down the side:

[​IMG]

jimmyjo, begreen61, Bobert and 2 others like this.
  7. Bobert

Bobert Look what I can do!

I like most things that come out of the ocean, but I've not had snook. You saying it's one of the best eating fish makes me really want to try it. I'll have to see if I can get it in one of the markets here. I grew up in New England, and IMO, nothing beats Haddock. I love it any way it's made, but fried with the skin on is the best. Every time I go back there I bring back a cooler full. You can't get fresh haddock out here. I could eat seafood every day for the rest of my life and not miss a thing. Back when we had the boat, my wife and I once went over four months eating nothing but fish that I caught locally. Mostly Yellowfin and Yellowtail tuna, and an occasional White Seabass. It was awesome.

tonk, ded i and desmodus like this.
  8. gzb

Bobert, To me, Snook is sort of like a cross between Grouper and Snapper as far as taste.
    Flaky and very white meat with no fishy taste.
    As far as I can remember, in Florida where they are prized as both a food source and as a wary and formidable game fish,
    they can't be bought or sold commercially, or in restaurants. The only legal method to catch them is with Rod and Reel and only with an appropriate stamp on person's Saltwater license.
    Currently minimum size is 28" in length, and not more than 33" maximum. Possession limited to one (1) daily.
    A helluva lot of fun to stalk and catch. Eating them is secondary, but oh so good...

ded i likes this.
  9. Bobert

Sounds awesome. Are they hard to find and catch? Is it rare to catch a keeper? I love White Seabass, but you don't catch them very often around here. Other species are easy to catch, but you might have to throw back ten before you get one of legal size.

ded i likes this.
  10. gzb

They're not hard to find if you know where and when to look. They love structure like docks and mangroves. I like to fish on a running high tide.
    Especially fun at night under dock lights, where you can see them like huge submarines, lurking under the bait fish and shrimp...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    ded i and Bobert like this.
  11. ded i

Mr. Big Turtle and Green Heron at the canal. I haven't seen either of these guys lately, there's been two smaller turtles but no Mr. Big Turtle since the middle of June. Green Heron hasn't been around since July and I was afraid something got him but yesterday afternoon he landed next to me when he heard my bicycle bell; just like old times.

Berkley, crogers, El Gringo and 4 others like this.
  12. Bobert

Beautiful colors on that bird!

ded i likes this.
  13. Clydetz

Clydetz straight and true Brigade Member

I have to retract my above statement... There are habaneros growing in Mo's garden along with the jalapenos! Both devils rbmcmjr & crogers were 100% correct. The habaneros are much more spicy hot! :Flamingeek:

crogers, El Gringo, begreen61 and 2 others like this.
  14. Thanos74

Thanos74 Little Member

This pretty girl was on my daughter's play house yesterday. I also picked up a snapping turtle that was in danger of being run over and then rereleased him in the creek in front of my house. I figure he'll be right at home there :D

Attached Files:

jimmyjo, ded i and seandavid55 like this.
  15. Thanos74

Thanos74 Little Member

1507661977842_3533303413_8dba8993_v1.jpg 1507661016736_874809305_8dba8993_v1.jpg 1507661591690_1872642058_8dba8993_v1.jpg

16. Thanos74

Thanos74 Little Member

Found this guy getting ready to cross the road a few months ago , had to get his pic. He really didn't seem to mind at all , never "sang" the first time. He's a black timber rattler. 1499740951544_4872913199_02d8cd26.jpg

jimmyjo, ded i, begreen61 and 3 others like this.
  17. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Awesome ,always wanted an albino diamond back when I had snakes for pets ,my county would not allow venomous snakes, yet 10 miles away In the next county I could,,,,don't figure.

18. ded i

I was 'talkin' with Little Green Heron :bwah:

Shike, begreen61, desmodus and 5 others like this.
  19. VANELLI

VANELLI JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

PART951508370989374.jpg

My dad's backyard today. He said he hung out most of the day eating and wandering around.

20. Bobert

Nice!

Thanos74 and ded i like this.