1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

PB washers on my BM42?

Baliguy Mar 5, 2012

1. Baliguy

Baliguy Huge member

Do they offer any improvement over the stock washers?

2. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yes.

When my 42 had the ss washers... it would literally eat the oil and I'd have to lube it about every 2nd day. The pb washers are more slick and don't require so much oil. It also doesn't squeak.

You can also cut out some of the play in the handles depending on the thickness of washers you use.

3. deadpool

deadpool merc with the mouth

I have to say yeah, they do. Mr. Eddleman hooked up my 42A with some the other day and it took all of the play out of the hadles and smoothed out the action quite a bit. They are pretty easy to install, make sure to lock tite the pivots after the install.

4. wcjohn

wcjohn Sum Quod Sum JDBA Official Member

:iagree:

5. drfish

drfish Average member

I think so. Tightens up the tolerances a bit.

[​IMG]

According to the last time I did it, the stock washers are .360 OD, .190 ID, .010 thick. Previously I've used the knifekits washers in .015 which work and in .020 which is a bit too thick and needs a bit of sanding to thickness for a perfect fit.

6. Flippin-crazy

Flippin-crazy Level: True Devil

PB washers?? how are washers made of penutbutter gonna help at all???:ropeman::devilcorn:

7. Baliguy

Baliguy Huge member

So do you recommend the .020 with some sanding or just go with the .015?

8. drfish

drfish Average member

Washers are cheap, and there's a lot of variance in the 4x series handles. You're going to need to fit them individually. I'd just buy a range of sizes and experiment. If it wasn't so much of a pain in the ass to do it right, Benchmade probably wouldn't have done it the way they did.

9. Palethius

Palethius Customizer Knife Maker or Craftsman

Usually I will go with 3 x .015" and 1 x .010". Yes, the handle channels usually have different thicknesses between the bite and safe handle. Hence the one thinner one.

Also, you can use sandpaper and sand down one of the thicker ones to fit. That is the best method of reducing all play. If you plan on reducing ALL play, you will have to go bigger and thin them down. I wouldn't use anything coarser than ~600 grit (not wood sandpaper... use carbide paper/metal sandpaper/wet-dry/the grey sheets). I have found that 600 takes off material pretty fast, but keeps it pretty smooth. Whatever works for you.

10. Baliguy

Baliguy Huge member

Reducing the play as much as possible sound great to me as I like that precision feel.
    I am unsure how to gauge which sizes to use, sanding which one..etc Can you take me through how you figured it out for your knife?
    This might help me figure out how to apply the idea to my 42.

11. Palethius

I have done this to many knives. Each one is different. Just grab a few washers and try to put them on. If they are too big, sand one down some by laying the sandpaper flat and sand the washer down. Re-check fit. Repeat if necessary.

I would get 4 x .015" and 2 x .020" (maybe a few extras of each just in case). That way, if your knife is perfect with the 15's... great (most likely not the case). Otherwise you'll have to sand down the 20's to fit. One of the handles will probably not fit 2 x 15's in though. On that handle, sand one of the 15's down.

It's pretty simple to do... just takes practice to get good at it. Make sure to keep even pressure on the washer when sanding so that you don't get a lopsided one. That washer would be useless then.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

12. Baliguy

Baliguy Huge member

I figured a trial and error type of method. Thank you for the information.
    It is hard to test the various sizes though given the pivots of the 42 are pressure fit.
    Do you mean you reinstall the pivots each time or are you using a different testing method?

13. knifezoid

knifezoid Bladerunners Systems -=BRS=- Knife Maker or Craftsman

I don't own one but have handled one and talked to people who've
    done this. Probably the closest to bushing performance you will get
    out of your 42. It just tightens things up and smoothes things out.
    I think it's well worth the effort.

14. TRXRyder

TRXRyder Resident Devil

Are these the right ones?
    http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=60_87_88&products_id=492
    Or is there a better place to get the correct PB washers?
    Thanks for the help Bro :thumbsup:

15. Palethius

Those are right. Understand that .020's are twice as thick as stock washers. You will probably need some .015's also to save you some time and effort. Unfortunately, knife kits charges a lot for shipping, so I'd think about ordering a few extras in different sizes just in case. maybe a couple .010's too. It might make the job a lot easier.

Mpsecare likes this.
  16. TRXRyder

TRXRyder Resident Devil

:ross:You're reading my mind man :ross:

I'm thinking these will work on all my 4x balis so I'm ordering in bulk with multiple sizes and thickness. Can never have too many spare bali parts laying around...

Thanks for the correct info Bro :thumbsup:

17. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

18. Palethius

No problem. And yes, there are many places to purchase this particular item(s). As long as you know what size you need, you should be golden.

19. Baliguy

Baliguy Huge member

I noticed there are varying inner diameters on the PB washers, which would be the proper ones for the BM42?

20. Palethius

3/16"