1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Palethius makes bank

begreen61 Apr 15, 2018

1. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Ok is it me or is this crazy Pale Backline plain jane basic goes for 2500 and 2300 ,in auction ,,,,what the fuck,,, Sean you guess it the closes at 2100.00 and Des with 3000.00 who had thought ,,, what gives we all crazy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,and to top it off both knives went to one person ,,,Damn ,,wish he buy something off me

whats your take my fellow freeks

g

Ben., seandavid55 and TakeMyFingers like this.
  2. RoninFlipper

RoninFlipper Tiny Member

Supply and demand. ABs would sell for $3000 too if BRS only built 23 of them.....

coll3ctor and begreen61 like this.
  3. begreen61

I don't see it ,,I have many high demand and one of and are bali'songs yet and only my balibalistics even come that close to 2500 in net worth ,,well my Proto Backline became worth more last night I will say ,,,still think it's crazy

4. TakeMyFingers

TakeMyFingers Little member

I won the Jk_Design Emissary#002 for 790. It is of absolutely superb quality and craftsmanship made from the best materials and flips like a dream as well. The backlines last night which are Palethius's "budget" line, sold for 2500 and 2300.

I'm not saying Palethius isn't an amazing knifemaker. He very much is. Oh, what I wouldn't do to get my hands on a BC. But at this point, the crazy high bids are just coming from the name attached to the knife.

seandavid55 and begreen61 like this.
  5. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I'd sell that thing right now if I were you Gary. Probably never make more off of it. Send a note to the second highest bidder.

I think it's crazy myself. Supply and demand eh. When your talking 2000+ I just don't get it. At that level there isnt much supply across the board. But look at what you usually get. With the backline you get G10 handles, no bushings....

Good for him. I am blown away.

blackmetal1181 and begreen61 like this.
  6. coll3ctor

coll3ctor Average Member

the heart wants what the heart wants man

jan187 and begreen61 like this.
  7. RoninFlipper

RoninFlipper Tiny Member

Let’s be real- balisongs aren’t cost effective knife options regardless of the features. Thing of it is Palethius doesn’t make many knives, and the only way a lot of folks can get Bali’s is on the secondary market. Without that resource, people have to fight to get one during a drop. That’s a nation of balisong fans of all incomes and ages duking it out to buy 23 knives. Picture how much Alpha Beasts would be if BRS only dropped 50 of them for the whole country every year. They’d sell for a lot more then $3,000 I’d bet....

nostimos likes this.
  8. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 Average Member

Definitely more of an investment knife. Unless the bali/knife collecting community dies out ...then you're fucked.

9. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

I don't get it either, I don't want to spend more than $750 On a knife ever. I don't care if it's made of pure gold and unicorn horns, I just don't think I'd enjoy flipping something that costs $3000 because the only way I could justify owning it would be because of increased resale value which if I fucked it up by flipping would pretty much void that out.

Now if I had disposable income and won PCH sweepstakes that might be another story but I can't afford $3000 Just to have bragging rights, at the moment.

Alfie, Balibuyer and begreen61 like this.
  10. Pingpong

Pingpong Average member

DAMN...3 Grand for a plain jane. I couldn't justify that price point. I could see myself rationalizing a one-off in full-dress, but I'd be thinking about it for quite a while before I pulled the trigger on that purchase.

coll3ctor and skyblue like this.
  11. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

It all depends what you can afford.

The guy that "won" the G10 and Ti Backlines paid 4.8k for both. That seems a shit ton for most... but if you have that sorta disposable income and you want it now, who cares! buy it!!! I know that if I had that sort of money and I wanted something, I'd just throw money at it until I got it.

Also.. fwiw the G10 Backline is one of the better knives I've flipped. The 'but it doesn't even have bushings' argument is irrelevant. If you do it right a Bali with zen pins shouldn't need bushings.

12. GuItArMaN8373

And the db 3.1 is one of the best I've ever flipped and retailed at under $300. And i own HOM and top tier BRS ABs. Though the db 3.1 is a bit shorter.

To each their own when it comes to flipping.

coll3ctor and begreen61 like this.
  13. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

When i said bushings, I'm really referring more to the extra time it takes in construction. Therefore usually adding to cost. Pale himself said that they weren't used to keep costs down.

14. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I think whenever this type of sale shows up, you're dealing with a delicate balance of two variables:
    1. A high quality item that's also rare and/or a limited run, that's built by a famous/infamous master maker.
    2. An interested fanboy with more money than financial sense.
    Or maybe just that "collector's" disease. :jdwink2:

To each his own I guess.
    You know what other great knifemaker doesn't make many balis nowadays?
    Jody Samson, he's gone on to that great knife show in the sky.
    And yet tonight I saw a listing for two of his balis, a 5" bowie and a 4" weehawk, hand ground blades and all, with official "Bali-Song USA" stamps too.
    For only 2K for BOTH!
    That's for old school channel balis.
    Might be too heavy to be an ideal flipper, but that's an investment i'd make if I had the extra cash.
    But over 4K for two sandwich style balis?
    Don't care how nice they flip, at that price they better come with a one month in-person tutorial with Jeff Imada. :bwah:

AMEN!
    All those guys are great but they still don't have the name recognition of Benchmade.
    Handmade/factory made aside, an "investment" looks at potential returns down the road.
    Funny how if I say gold or silver should go up in the future and buy some, I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist prepper,
    but it's fine to think were all gonna get rich from our knife collecting.:ropeman:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  15. begreen61

The only this collecting has done for me is put me in the poor house,,,

as for the answers to my thread your all right in a sense ,, I was just taken by the price of his Basic,,,compared to his other designs that did go for less ,,If you have the money to throw away so be it,,,,I do from time to time BUT kills me when I do it,,,, living week to week,,,hell I'm still recovering from my BB/homs purshuse
    Personally it made my proto-type a wanted Item and I'd might be moving it .Momma didn't raise no fool .Offers are coming in ,,,It's Crazy

BEST ANSWER : Coll3ector : the heart wants what the heart wants man ,,,,,,,,,,,,,it sums it all up .
    g

coll3ctor and seandavid55 like this.
  16. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

I think you have to break it down two different ways.

Didnt the backline sell outright for 600 bucks? How much does a Marfione Tach 2 custom sell for? How much does a Tempest or a HOM Arashi sell for? Sure they may have bushings or bearings but which one of the above are more hand made?

As far as Auctions and Secondary - yeah that shits cray but really look at what the emerson "custom" balis went for - look at what folders from guys like martin or rexford or ochs go for. The knife market is crazy.

desmodus likes this.
  17. GuItArMaN8373

TBH I find i get a much better return on my firearms over knives or anything else. And should be that way for a long time.

18. Yournamehere

Yournamehere JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I wouldn't pay $420 for a premium AB at the drop! But I would pay $600 for a 43! It's all about how much\how bad people want the Bali they are buying! It's supply and demand but subjective none the less! If you have the money! You can have whatever you want!

19. Yournamehere

Yournamehere JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Depending on the guns! I can't honestly say the exact opposite...I get much better return on Bali's than firearms...not so much knives......but Grail Bali's! Firearms have a good return value but it depends on the firearm just like it depends on the Bali! Most guns are widely manufactured unlike grail knives that are not...and much harder to get ahold of... IMHO!

begreen61 and seandavid55 like this.
  20. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

God now I want one. I need to stay off of instagram, lol.

I was watching some flipping footage and they look awesome, I would def pay $600 for one but I'll never touch one for what they go for. I would love to check one out in person, I'm a sucker for that clackety sound they make when flipping....

begreen61 and coll3ctor like this.