1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Pacific cutlery identification?

ManRay Dec 3, 2017

1. ManRay

ManRay Average member

I recently purchased this pacific cutlery and i'm just wondering what model this is. I cant quite find anything like it searching google images. I've posted this on other forums but figured i would get more replies here. sorry if this is the wrong place for this mods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 3:51 PM
    silkworm and gunlove like this.
  2. tonk

tonk JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  3. ManRay

ManRay Average member

Its currently in the mail but i will let you know what the other side says when it arrives.

4. silkworm

silkworm Silky Devil JDBA Official Member

Looks like a custom shop. The patent number on the reverse will make it production. If it says Bali-Song USA it's a custom shop. Cool sheath too.

5. ManRay

ManRay Average member

If it is a custom shop, would it have been ground by Jody Samson? Or did they have custom shop knives ground by others? Thanks for the help!

6. silkworm

silkworm Silky Devil JDBA Official Member

As I understand it, Les DeAsis has said, all custom shop knives were ground by Jody Samson. Mr Samson ground the blades. Others finished the knives.

7. ninjastar

ninjastar Little member JDBA Official Member

i have one of these Samsons. some of these are numbered on the spine as well

8. ManRay

ManRay Average member

Am I allowed to ask for valuation? I know on certain other forums you will get your peepee slapped if you aren't careful

9. desmodus

desmodus Cabeza Caliente Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

We no longer allow assessment.

Lo siento.

10. tonk

[​IMG]

desmodus likes this.
  11. ManRay

ManRay Average member

That's looks pretty close. We will know tomorrow for sure.

tonk likes this.
  12. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Looks custom (hand ground) due to the deep hollow grind.
    As stated earlier, if it says "Bali-Song USA" on the other side, it's AT LEAST from the Custom Shop.

Wasn't it documented in an interview that Les stated Mr. Samson absolutely did ALL the Weehawks since he invented the grind?
    Isn't that the only 100% guarantee, custom weehawks all done by him?
    NOT necessarily the other grinds, however, most assume ALL customs are ground by Samson.
    and he may have very well done MOST of the other grinds as well.
    Not sure and this has been debated before.

I wouldn't worry ManRay, although we cant give you a specific price, any custom "Bali-Song USA" in good condition or better is coveted and valuable.
    Especially with that sweet embossed leather sheath upgrade!
    I have one as well.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  13. ManRay

ManRay Average member

I just opened the box and it does in fact say bali-song USA on the other side. The grind is crazy deep. More pics as soon as I can.

seandavid55 likes this.
  14. ManRay

ManRay Average member

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction for an appraisal?

15. ManRay

ManRay Average member

Now with Moar pics.

nostimos and seandavid55 like this.
  16. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

:cutty::cutty::cutty::cutty::cutty:

ManRay likes this.
  17. gunlove

gunlove Average member

tonk,

those a definitely customs in the pics for $220+, the non-customs were around $60 and the blades didn't look anything like this hand ground super hollow grind.

Very Nice!!!!

18. tonk

Of course its a custom every thing they made back then was, pretty sure they were the first PCC knifes ever made 79-83?
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but was the 68 IN fact the first to be considered a production knife?

19. Caffiend

Caffiend JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Edit: screenshot from Benchmade's website

Also note the nuance that the 68 is the first production "Bali-song" (insert copyright symbol here), not the first production balisong/butterfly knife, I would venture and guess that Japan imported Frost, Valor, Compass, Taylor etc have Bali-song beat by a few years, no?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 10:58 AM
    tonk and seandavid55 like this.
  20. chintofong

chintofong JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

If I have seen correctly from one of your pics, just beside the butterfly logo it has the ® symbol, making it a slightly newer model. The older ones, when originally was called Bali-Song (before calling PCC), did not have the ® symbol, and the more popular blade shapes that came out of the shop had more slender/slimmer profiles, while the latter ones (from what I can distinguish from the pics) had wider shapes and a slightly noticeable recurve/belly