1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Need to Sharpen a ZT 0566 CF

Toro May 26, 2017

1. Toro

Toro Huge member

I usually sharpen my ZT user on my sharp maker but now it needs more than just a touch up. What are my best options to get this sharp? Does anyone in Jersey or anywhere offer a sharpening service from a Wicked Edge???

2. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Little member JDBA Official Member

Josh Franzene at Razor Edge Knives (REK) does I believe, at least he did last time I checked. I believe he has sharpening services ranging from $10-65 depending on what you want.
    I carry my 0566 and use it really hard doing electrical and show it no mercy, I just make it a point to touch it up on my sharpmaker after heavy use...

zephyr05 and stdlrf11 like this.
  3. Toro

Toro Huge member

Thank you

4. zephyr05

zephyr05 Little member Brigade Member

Did you try the diamond rod on your Sharpmaker? They will profile pretty fast.

5. Dustygmt

I really do like my sharpmaker and it's totally adequate, but it does have it's limitations.
    I cannot and will never get it to the point where it will pop hair, I have practiced and have made passes in the tens of thousands and can get it really sharp, but can't get it to pop hair.
    I am sure there are lots of skilled sharpenners out there who could but I can't.
    If I spent 7x the money on a wicked edge I know I could get a nice hair popping, polished edge but I have not yet reached the point where I could justify that expense to myself..... I can justify a $600 pocket knife but not $400 on a sharpener, yet....

desmodus likes this.
  6. zephyr05

zephyr05 Little member Brigade Member

I have a WE and I like it for some things. It's a bit fiddly to set up though so I don't use it as much as I would like.

The Sharpmaker on the other hand is easy to set up and so light I just leave it set up on a shelf all the time, ready to go.

Your problem may by that you need to reprofile and with some of the modern steel like ZT uses that can take forever with the stock gray stone. I tried to reprofile a dull S35VN Sebenza recently and it was just laughing at the grey stones. I switched to the diamond and had it reprofiled in 10 minutes. They are worth it.

I then went up through the grey, white, and the not included in the set ultra fine stones. It will pop hair like crazy now.

Maybe try those extra stones, would be a lot cheaper than a WE.

7. Dustygmt

Hmm, the only set of stones I don't have are the diamond reprofiling stones, maybe that'd make the difference. But just to be clear when I say pop hair I don't mean I can't shave hair with it, I can get it very very sharp but I can't get it to pop a piece of hair on the edge.... to me there are varying degrees of sharpness. (Razor) Shaving sharp and (scary) hair popping sharp. I probably just suck at sharpening though, most of my edges don't get chewed up too bad because I touch them up regularly but it still frustrates me that with three sets of stones I have yet to achieve hair popping sharpness.....

8. Dustygmt

I finally got an edge on my ZT from my sharpmaker that will pop hair, it only took 2 hours...