1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Need new computer

longbow Mar 14, 2017

1. longbow

longbow scratch n sniffer

Well during the wind storm last week when the power blew it also blew up my desktop. So I need a new computer. Looking for a lap top design. I don't play games but do look at video's and Netflix and feed it through our TV especially for Netflix. Price range is around 450 give or take, mostly take. So suggestions. I am using our Chromebook at the moment and truthfully it ain't bad but would like something a bit more versatile. Any help appreciated. thanks and keepem shapr

Kelper likes this.
  2. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Had to buy new, 6 months ago, It's screwed up how importain it was for the need that it had to be replaced ASAP, I kind of hate that side of me,,,, anyways I went with a Dell for 450.00 it was a safe bet for my money .Note : one problem trying to solve. Spell check is on but is not working and it is a dell issue i believe .I also use my 50 inch TV as a moniter .Saves space.

Kelper likes this.
  3. 1o57

1o57 Tiny Member

Depends on what you needs are really- but there are some laptops that you can get and upgrade for less money than buying comparable for the same money...

For example, if I was building a computer for my parents (not computer people) that just want web/videos/email/wordprocessing (this i like 90% of the planet)- I could get a good 'base' laptop such as a Asus F555LA-AB31. Upgrading the OS drive to something like a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD and adding RAM (Crucial 8GB Single DDR3L 1600 MT/s (PC3L-12800) SODIMM 204-Pin Laptop Memory) and you have a perfectly good machine for under $400 (for their needs)- You won't get a much better screen at that price point, and you're just upping the system parts that they cheap out on...

begreen61, desmodus and Kelper like this.
  4. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

a little over my head ,But Thanks for the great answer if you did this for your parents , I'm sure you did the best for the price .Maybe a Devil will use this good information to get more bang for their ever so stinking dollar,

crogers and Kelper like this.
  5. C-Bear

C-Bear Brigade Member Brigade Member

Stupid question, but why go with the laptop? It seems mostly its going to be used at home and for video stuff. Why not go with a desk top?

On another note, what happened to your desktop? Did you take it to someone and they tell you what happened with it? (Motherboard was fried, Processor, power supply?) If it's something simple it would be cheaper to fix the computer. I upgraded my desktop computer and it cost me about $500 but I did a major upgrade, processor, motherboard, power supply, video card, and audio card.

6. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

My question would be, did you lose any other electronics? Did it die when the power went out, or when it was being repaired?