1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Mounting an RMR to a Mark II FN 5.7

CDR_Glock Sep 13, 2017

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I ordered an RMR red dot mount from Truehunterssupply dot com or FIVESEVENREDDOT dot Com for my FN 5.7. Doubtful that this will be for self defense but it's nice to have 21 rounds in a compact lightweight pistol.

Well, the newer design just requires removal of the rear sight. This is for a Mark II, FN 5.7 with the adjustable sights. The mount is a one piece design. The older design required removal of the plastic outer shell of the slide.

Luckily I have built 3 AR-15s so this wasn't really that hard.

Tools I needed:

Precision mallet

1/16 punch to remove the pin

Flat head screwdriver

Blue Locktite

Bench vise to compress the roll pin.

3/32 roll pin punch

Lots of oil

The easiest part is removing the rear sight. Use a 1/16 punch to remove the pin. Screwdriver to remove the rear sight.

Screwdriver to attach the mount. Then, I tried to punch the roll pin without compressing. That didn't work. I used the bench vise to compress the roll pin. Then I used a 3/32 punch and gently tapped it through.

Blue Locktite to secure the RMR to the mount.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

How much wider is the RMR than the slide? How about a picture from the shooters perspective.

Just curious. Thanks.

CDR_Glock and stdlrf11 like this.
  3. blevinsknives

blevinsknives JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

That looks like a great idea! I didn't even know they made those for the 5.7. By all means let us know how you like it, I may just do that with mine too. :thumbsup:

CDR_Glock and stdlrf11 like this.
  4. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Interesting

I'm not well versed, but after seeing posts on Instagram, I thought the side had to be milled to fit them.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  5. CDR_Glock

[​IMG]

As soon as I decided upon getting this particular pistol, recently, I researched the options for optics.

The YouTube video in circulation has to deal with a different TWO piece construction. The one I have is indeed just one piece.

It affixes to the slide without having to remove the outer polymer shell. There are two anchor points, the top screw and the side roll pin.

It is higher than an optic mounted with a Glock MOS by a few mm. However, I have no issues zeroing the RMR. It points naturally. Your only disadvantage is the lack of backup Tritium sights that a Glock MOS or FN FNX with an optic will have.

One thing I've learned is that there is very little in terms of third party products for the FN line. I have tried to find a similar solution for my FN FNP 45, apart from someone milling my slide.

You may have read if unreliability, as some customers have noted issues with the slide not cycling due to the weight of the optic. From what I've read, the Deltapoint is the lightest and have had no issues. Since I had an RMR from a Glock 34 MOS that I was not going to use, I decided to transfer the RMR to my FN 5.7.

Using SS197 ammo, I had no issues with slide malfunctions as was alluded to by other postings. One other issue I read from my particular mount and RMR was because the user installed his upside down, which would increase the height more and change the dynamics of function.

Assuming that the sight and mount are installed properly, I see no issues.

Bear in mind you need the proper tools as this is not a casual evolution. I have built AR-15s and have many tools for working with roll pins.

6. blevinsknives

blevinsknives JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I really appreciate your detailed explanation, and additional picture. It did have the illusion that the optic was wider than the slide in the previous shots. If you could please, what is the particular model number of that optic so I can look further into acquiring one for myself? Thanks. :thumbsup:

7. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Not sure if it is still the case, but RMRs were on sale at Cabelas recently. Was a great price.

Thanks for the picture. Looks like it sits well on there. Should be a lot of fun.

CDR_Glock and blevinsknives like this.
  8. CDR_Glock

It's the Dual Illumination RMR. It uses Tritium and fiber optics, as opposed to the electronic red dot. I believe it's am RMR-04.

If you get a mount on the website, you have to get a mount specific to your optic. Make sure you get the proper mount for your FN 5.7 model.

Best of luck to all of you.

blevinsknives likes this.
  9. CDR_Glock

I was rapid firing at 25 yards. Great pistol.

Reflex sights give a faster transition than conventional sights.

Dutchtracker likes this.