1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Mill / Mini Lathe?

wes Mar 4, 2018

1. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

I am considering purchasing a mini mill or mini lathe to start learning a bit of machining. For the mill at least, I would want CNC potential later. On the short list are the Sherline and Taig products.

Not quite sure what I would be making but I am thinking brass lanyard beads, pens, and kubatons if I go with a lathe and small knife, bicycle, and motorcycle parts if mill. The CNC part would be to try to interest my son in machining and give him an opportunity to explore manufacture at an early age.

While I have considered 3D printers, I don't think they are quite ready for prime time yet. I also want to machine things!

I won't have huge amounts of room so smaller is better in this case. For the foreseeable future, mini is the only way.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Rover likes this.
  2. Tim Musselman

Tim Musselman Little member

Have a look at LittleMachineShop.com they have lots of info. I have a heavily modified HF mini mill that I use quite a bit also have and old HF mini lathe that doesn't get quite as much use for light work the are fine.
    Rover and begreen61 like this.