1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Microtech Dragonfly make for a good EDC and/or flipper?

DrakeLineous Jun 19, 2017

1. DrakeLineous

DrakeLineous Tiny Member

Would the Dragonfly be good for an EDC and for flipping? Found one new for $400 and one that's been carried for closer to $300. Would those be good prices for one? image.jpeg

2. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade You know the law: Two men enter, one man leaves. JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Tachyon-III-Balisong--30342They have one on blade hq for 289 new. ( tach 3). For edc the blade profile I'd very useable and the steel is Elma's which imo is good. Can't say about the flipping but most say it's avg to better than avg. I will say I don't like MT, but that's b/c of the owner not the product

begreen61 likes this.
  3. DrakeLineous

DrakeLineous Tiny Member

I've seen the Tach3 but it's too big at 10" for my liking. This one is under 9", same with the original Tachyon but I can't find that one.

4. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

The original Tachyon had TI handles , and they have become quite collectible hence why you can't find one.

The Dragonfly is aluminum, the coating on them scratches off super easy. The one I had was fearful of touching was more of a collector piece .

As for flipping, never have done so with one so won't comment.

If you are looking for a decent flipper that's also EDC friendly just pick up a BM 51, bit light on the handles but does flip well, and for EDC the pocket clip can't be beat.

XxGRYMMxX and DrakeLineous like this.
  5. HedaCoon

HedaCoon *is not a coon Lady Devil JDBA Official Member

I definitely would skip that if you have 300-400 to spare. That aluminum handles will get warp and ding up quick. Agreed with Glenn, 51 is perfect for edc and not so bad for flipping either in the $200 range. But if you have 300/400 then may as well get rep, ab, basilisk-r, any of them can have pocket clip installed for edc and great flippers, wombo combo. Hell, you can even get a tach 2 in that price range and it'll be infinitely better than the dragonfly.

DrakeLineous likes this.
  6. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

agreed I dislike Tony so much but do like a few of his knives The MT custom T3 I thought was great{ more play in action bur acceptably Gave to a good friend for way below retail } and I got the alum handles too, they were about the same just the alum were lighter in the handles and you couldn't get the moment it do many tricks

7. DrakeLineous

DrakeLineous Tiny Member

I don't mind getting something from BRS or Benchmade I just need something shorter than 9". BM32 would be perfect but I don't like the D2 blade especially at the price point it's at. Right now I'm just looking for a maker who can make me one to how I like it, not too many production that're smaller sized.

8. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade You know the law: Two men enter, one man leaves. JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

so you want under 10", decent blade steel, usable blade profile, under 4 bills and decent flipper? Hmmm....

9. DrakeLineous

DrakeLineous Tiny Member

Preferably under 9". If it's just a production one I wouldn't want to spend that much. If it's custom then I'll pay what I need to so I get what I'd like.

10. BennytheBlade

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  11. DrakeLineous

DrakeLineous Tiny Member

I have heard he made some shorter ones. I'll have to keep an eye out for them, I know his list is pretty lengthy right now so I probably can't get one direct.

12. BennytheBlade

smallfly is the only other production besides the 32 that is widely available that i can think of.

DrakeLineous likes this.
  13. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

If you can wait about 6 months, that's his average build time from ordering to completion.

His direct email to inquire if you care to c.olofson@yahoo.com

Typically takes him several days to respond, so don't get concerned etc.

begreen61 and DrakeLineous like this.
  14. DrakeLineous

DrakeLineous Tiny Member

Sweet, thanks for the contact. Worth a shot. If I get a spot I guess I'll have to just crack and get a full size one to hold me over lol

15. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

It was discontinue several years ago....

45acpmike likes this.
  16. desmodus

desmodus Cabeza Caliente Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member