1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Making blanks flat, HELP

seandavid55 Dec 3, 2017

1. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Well I must be doing something wrong. Thought I solved it with the knuckle knife, but turns out I haven't.

I'm using 1084. It's .25 in thickness. I'm taking the initial bend out using a couple C clamps. I then put it on a surface grinding attachment. Make it flat, flip it over and do it again. The blanks are not getting hot. The last one I did I took it even slower and kept it pretty cool. Didn't seem to help.

Any ideas?? 20171203_145542-1024x768.jpg

Kelper likes this.
  2. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Hi! What is it exactly you trying to accomplish??? You want to get what flat ?,they are warp on the spine or both??? are you heat treating them at your shops and this happens after you treated or before, some more details will help us to help you.

Jim L., begreen61 and seandavid55 like this.
  3. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

This is before heat treating. I cut/ground these profiles out. One blank has a warp side to side and tip to butt. Other one is mainly tip to butt.

My goal is to make both sides flat and parallel with each other before I start grinding.

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

Jim L. and begreen61 like this.
  4. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Well what are you using to grind??? I have a 2x72 grinder with a nice flat plate in which i can lay the blank against it and see if it is flat and level, I used a pretty strong magnet to lay against the plate and check it against it, i also have a platform that came with a small vise that is flat and level , also you can buy for 2 dollars a nice 12x 12 piece of ceramic or marble tile at homedepot.Once you can check exactly what you need to grind off to level it, Petes heat treat does an excellent job in making your blanks straight when they come back from heat treat.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Jim L., begreen61 and seandavid55 like this.
  5. Jim L.

Jim L. knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

If you have the ability to heat the metal to critical (non-magnetic) temps, you could try wacking the high spots with a wooden mallet. It won't "shock" the steel or mar the surface as badly as a hammer. You may have to thermal cycle each blanks, though afterward.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 10:52 PM
    begreen61 likes this.