1. If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Learning

xtxs Aug 30, 2015

1. xtxs

xtxs Little member

Hello!
    Today I am reaching out for the community for help! I would like to learn how to make knifes. I have absolutely no idea how to do anything (knife building related) and would like to learn! If someone can point me in the right direction that would be most helpfull!! Thanks!!

2. Bobasan

Bobasan Brigade Member Brigade Member

I might suggest going to the JD grind in at Bark River Knives. That and finding makers in your area willing to give some guidance.

Bob

3. Bango Skank

Bango Skank Level: True Devil

what is it specifically you want to know?

what sort of knives?

what do you have the capability to produce?

I will give you any info I have. Do it man.

4. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

Look in your area for knife maker and black smiths

5. Voodoo Messiah

Voodoo Messiah Little member

books are a great resource when just starting out, when I first started I got most my info from knifemaking books, some good ones are:
    wayne goddards $50 knife shop,
    the complete bladesmith
    the wonder of knifemaking
    knifecraft

6. Jim L.

Jim L. knifemaker

Youtube.com is a good resource. You will have to wade through a lot of crap, but you can put together a lot of pieces from those vids to get started.

Eventually you'll be able to apply that info to actually making blades that meet your own aesthetics through working out a functional blade through either stock reduction (removing what isn't a blade through grinding/filing ) or forging (moving metal through heat and hammer).

Even better would be finding someone who can show you directly helping you to learn from what they learned from their own mistakes.

Jim L.

desmodus likes this.
  7. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

Just this week I found blacksmithing pod casts. One of the best is blacksmither. They have 100s of podcasts with smiths answering questions.

Jim L. likes this.
  8. Jim L.

Jim L. knifemaker

That's cool, how 'bout some links?

Jim L.