1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

How to spot my truck at parking lot

El Gringo Apr 12, 2017

1. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

Neutral wouldn't be your best move before breaking. Yes definitely clutch first makes shifting easier lol.

ded i and crogers like this.
  2. Lapedog

Lapedog Little member

So let's say I'm in first gear and coming up to a red light. I don't have to put it in neutral before I brake?

Do you have to clutch to shift to neutral?

3. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

You can slow down without using the clutch, butt* you can't get too slow, or stop, or your engine will stall. With the clutch depressed, you are basically in neutral since the engine's flywheel is no longer connected to the transmission.

Neutral is necessary only if you're stopped and want to take your foot off of the clutch pedal (like sitting at a red light and your leg gets a cramp). You can sit still with the transmission in gear and the clutch depressed for as long as you need to.

Some transmissions will shift to neutral without using the clutch, butt* it's gonna be easier to depress the clutch when shifting out of gear. My Jeep can be knocked into neutral without a clutch, butt* IF there is ANY load on the transmission, it's harder to do.

Most transmissions will not allow you to shift into a gear without using the clutch as long as the engine is running. They usually shift freely if the vehicle is sitting stationary, and the engine is off.

Lapedog and Kelper like this.
  4. desmodus

desmodus Guano Loco Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

When you reach Grand Master you can shift up AND down into any gear with no clutch.

You only really need the clutch for first and reverse (unless your starter is stronger enough to start the vehicle in first to get you rolling and then you don't need the clutch to drive at all) .

If you don't do it right; however, you can totally hose the clutch AND the transmission.

Lapedog, Kelper and crogers like this.
  5. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

I've started my Jeep in first gear, especially on steep hills, BUTT* I not yet mastered the shifting without a clutch.

Also learned that you can't shift into reverse while the damn thing's rolling! :shift:

Lapedog and Kelper like this.
  6. Lapedog

Lapedog Little member

I have heard about people who are naturally born pimps who can shift gears without using the clutch.

But I thought that was only legend!

Kelper likes this.
  7. rxavage

rxavage Little member

it's all about the rpms

Kelper and desmodus like this.