1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

How to spend a proper birthday.

tubtar Sep 12, 2017

1. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator

For my friend GOV , who wished me a day filled with stories.
    See...........she knows me pretty well and is familiar with my tendency to make a story happen if it isn't doing it by itself.
    My birthday celebration has been fairly subdued , though I am extremely humbled and grateful for all the kind words and good natured ball busting that my friends have thrown my way.
    I decided to put a few miles on the scooter......a little shake down , since I plan of riding to Escanaba , Michigan on Friday.
    New tires , tune up and oil change..........then I even washed it this morning before I took off.
    No particular destination , just a couple hours of cows and barns.
    I headed north and Lindstrom , Mn presented the Swedish Inn Family Restaurant.
    My stomach and I agreed that it was time for some vittles and this was the right choice.
    Home cooking , friendly staff and one of the day shifters was also celebrating her birthday.
    Which prompted some lewd speculation as to why so many Minnesotans were born in September and a few laughs by everyone concerned.
    The food was very good , the people were very friendly ( even to big hairy tattooed louts who arrive on noisy American motorcycles ) and it was exactly the kind of place every town should have in my mind.
    These places are being swallowed up by the Perkins and Dennys of the world..........but I promise you , you will never get as fine a meal at any national chain as you will in these places.
    It was explained to me by a waitress at Key's Cafe.......it is the secret ingredient , Love , that sets them apart.
    Then back on the bike for a run through Taylors Falls and into Wisconsin.......tear up some two lane and watch the scenery pass me by as I decide whether the next turn will be a right or a left.
    It really is a nice way to spend an afternoon.
    I wound my way through a few towns and burgs before crossing back into Minnesota on the new bridge at Stillwater.
    On to highway 36 , and since the traffic heads the other way at this time , I get a couple stretches of exhilaration before I have to slow for North St. Paul.
    I have to stop at the light at Mn. 120 and hwy. 36.
    As the light changes , I go to stomp it into 1st and something goes wrong.
    The heim joint at the front end of the shift shaft decides that 17 years of service is enough and goes two piece on me.
    And I am in neutral , so I have to push the bike into the left turn lane and through the intersection.
    There is an abandoned gas station there and when traffic allows , I shove that 600 pound sack of parts across the street and into their parking lot to see what my options are.
    I was going to leave it there and walk to a nearby Biker bar ( Neuman's ) to try and get a suggestion or two.
    But fortunately my sheer laziness trumped my inability to think clearly when there are a multitude of potential solutions.
    I reached down and grabbed what was left of the shift shaft and yanked it into second gear , pulled in the clutch and started it up , then limped to Neuman's in second gear.
    This isn't exacly a hang out for me , but I knew Full Throttle Custom Motorcycles was close by.
    Like right next fucking door close. LOL
    The bartender told me to ask for Ike , who had my choice of two used shift shafts , take your pick for 10.00 and more than generously borrowed me the 1/2 and 7/16ths wrenches I needed to fix it up.
    15 minutes and a diet Coke later I was back on the strasse and headed for home.
    If you count good luck as a birthday present , then I have done very alright for myself this year.
    I was at places where the nearest house was a half mile away and had I broke down out there , it would have been a far more interesting problem.
    In retrospect , I would have likely had to try and use bailing wire to affect a temporary repair..........if I didn't get shot for walking up the wrong driveway , or turned into furniture by either a relative or fan of Ed Gein's work in this arena.
    I would make a fine lampshade too , if I do say so myself.
    But not yet.
    I still got shit to do.
    But as I told Lynn , the day is young and there is always the possibility of a good story happening at any time.
    Meanwhile , I want to extend sincere and heartfelt thanks to all my friends and family who sent me well wishes on this , the day of my birth.
    It could only happen once a year , because unlike many of you , once a year is all I deserve. [​IMG];-) Thank you all.

Huevos, woodlander, stdlrf11 and 8 others like this.
  2. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

John , I swear you should write a book or at least a journal or blog ,,,never meeting ya I bet you got the gift of gab .Happy Birthday again ,,not working tonight ,looks like .Well enjoy the rest of your evening ,,,Thanks for helping me fall asleep,,,,,,,,,,,,,LMAO ,,,,,,,just kidding ,,,,,maybe,,,,No i always love your stories . Good night John-boy

crogers, Kelper, Bobert and 3 others like this.
  3. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Sounds like a damn fine day. I'm glad it was a good one.

crogers, Kelper, Bobert and 2 others like this.
  4. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade You know the law: Two men enter, one man leaves. JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Route 66. That good.

have a damn fine birthday John

crogers, Kelper, Bobert and 2 others like this.
  5. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

I'm thinking you'd make at least two good lampshades my friend. Glad things turned out good; if anybody deserves a good birthday you do!
    all da best,
    trae

ded i, crogers, Kelper and 4 others like this.
  6. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade You know the law: Two men enter, one man leaves. JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Lampshades. YOUMOTHERFUCKER>> lol.

7. GODDESS OF VENGEANCE

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Crazy Bitch Lady Devil Super Moderator

I couldn't agree more! Hands down a great guy with a heart of gold! :thumbup: And...I absolutely enjoy his stories! :heart: Happy Birthday, tubtar! :GOV:

crogers, Kelper, Bobert and 1 other person like this.
  8. tubtar

What I 20170729_165325.jpg should have had for lunch..........

ded i, crogers, Kelper and 2 others like this.
  9. tubtar

What broke.......
    20170912_165154.jpg

10. tubtar

Where it goes.........
    20170912_165209.jpg

11. sam eib

sam eib Average Member

Happy birthday

tubtar, Kelper, Bobert and 1 other person like this.
  12. BennytheBlade

Thats a fuggin belt drive. Period.

13. Bobert

Bobert Look what I can do!

Cool beans on the easy fix. Happy Birthday!

14. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

Lampshades? Shit, I'm thinking more along the lines of a canopy for a king size bed! :bwah:

Glad you had a great day. You deserve more of 'em.

15. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Best Birfday stuff!

16. tubtar

As long as I'm on top..................what the hell , I'm good with it. :bwah::bwah::bwah:

17. Manganr

Manganr Devils Supermoderator Super Moderator

Best wishes on you Birthday John. Always good to read a story and good to hear you broke down in just the right place. I ALWAYS seem to fuck up in just the WRONG place.

All the best buddy.

18. tubtar

Thanks Ray.......definitely good luck running on that day.

19. Clydetz

Clydetz straight and true Brigade Member

Excellent read, John! When are you goin' to add a side car & take Ron for a tour?

20. tubtar

Ron will ride proper bitch or he will walk. :madaddy:

Kelper, Clydetz, seandavid55 and 3 others like this.