1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Heard the latest on Yoko Ono?

Bobert Jun 19, 2017

1. Bobert

Bobert Look what I can do!

Yoko has taken steps to get herself credited as a co-writer of the song "Imagine". It was written by her late husband, John Lennon. He said in an interview that he was inspired to write the song after reading her book in which she wrote about imagining this or imagine that. I'm surprised she can do this.

Is it because she had power of attorney over all the business matters when he was alive? I'm not talking about if she deserves it or not, I just don't understand how someone can get added to the credits when the original song writer has been dead for almost 30 years. Is this just symantics, or will all new releases say Written by John Lennon and Yoko Ono? :decoder:

begreen61, ded i and Kelper like this.
  2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

My first thought is :$:, butt* wouldn't she get his share of royalties as the surviving spouse? :idunno:

ded i and Kelper like this.
  3. Bobert

I'm not questioning her motive, I'm wondering how it's possible. If Ringo Star bought the rights to all the Beatle songs, could he add his name to all the tunes written by Lennon and McCartney?

4. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

NPR did a segment about this saying Lennon asked for it in a 1980 BBC interview; the NMPA basically made the attribution/gave the credit to set the record straight, i.e., to correct the error of leaving her uncredited in the first place. The National Music Publishers Association (NMPA) has the power to make that determination.

Excerpt from the article: John Lennon explained it himself back in 1980 in a joint interview with Yoko Ono on BBC Radio 1. The interviewer brought up "Imagine" as one of Lennon's most beloved songs.

LENNON: "Actually, that should be credited as a Lennon-Ono song because a lot of the lyric and the concept came from Yoko. But those days I was a bit more selfish, bit more macho, and I sort of omitted to mention her contribution."

"... If it had been Bowie, I would have put Lennon-Bowie. See, if you had been male. You know, when we wrote "Fame" together. But when we did it, I just put Lennon because, you know, she's just the wife. And you don't put her name on, right?"

Ono's 1964 book of conceptual poetry, "Grapefruit," contained verses like, imagine clouds dripping and imagine goldfish swimming across the sky. She also contributed to the song's theme of a world without borders or religion pulling people apart. Still, she backed away from taking credit in the interview.

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/17/53336...n-lennon-with-credit-line-for-writing-imagine

But the change could have a practical effect as under US law songs come into the public domain, meaning writers no longer receive royalties, 70 years after publication, with Ono’s addition potentially extending the period.

http://www.star2.com/entertainment/music/music-news/2017/06/19/yoko-ono-finally-gets-credited-on-imagine/#mc7M6KKJE6whsBJ7.99

NMPA CEO David Israelite presented the addition as an opportunity to correct an historical oversight which Lennon admitted in 1980 was the result of "selfish" behavior on his part. "It is my distinct honor to correct the record 48 years later and recognize Yoko Ono as a co-writer of the NMPA Centennial Song 'Imagine' and to present her with this well-deserved credit," Israelite said.

~ Rolling Stone http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/yoko-ono-added-as-songwriter-on-john-lennons-imagine-w488104

PS-RagE, Bobert, begreen61 and 2 others like this.
  5. ded i

Yoko One was wealthier than Lennon when they married, she is a member of the Japanese royal family and she's worth about $800 million today. However ... lol ... the royalties on Imagine would run out 70 years after Lennon's death. He was murdered in 1980, so her name on the credits does not help her because she's 80+ years old - BUTT it will extend the royalties to her and Lennon's son, Sean, for much or all of his lifetime.

6. Bobert

So, she wouldn't have been able to do this without that interview. At least that makes sense. It's puzzling to me how someone can be added after the song writer has passed away. Seems odd.

begreen61, ded i and Kelper like this.
  7. ded i

I wonder if The National Music Publishers Association initiated her credit or if Yoko Ono asked them to do it. I looked for an answer but got tired of reading about it. :idunno:

Kelper, begreen61 and crogers like this.
  8. Bobert

The story I saw on TV said she had taken steps to get herself credited because John said she was the inspiration and it was her idea. I don't doubt that, nor do I think she did it for money. Although she did take over the business of their finances and investments, that was because they were getting ripped off by the people they hired to do it. I remember reading an interview where John said they were getting ripped of so much, they had one group taking care of the money, and another group to watch over the first one, They were still getting ripped off, so they hired a third group to watch over the first two. They finally got sick of the whole deal, so Yoko took over.

Again, I don't think she did it for money. I believe she's an artist first and foremost. She was an artist before she met John, while she was with him, and to this day. She only became a business woman out of necessity. I have nothing against her, and don't dislike her. I don't get her some of her art, but I don't know anything about art, and I don't get a lot of it. I only know what I like when I see it.

It still seems odd to me that someone could be added to the credits of a song, long after the song writer is dead.

crogers, ded i, Kelper and 1 other person like this.
  9. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Hated ,Strong word ,,Dislike the wench , always thought she was a factor,causing tension between the members and the demise of the Beatles as a band.

crogers, ded i, woodlander and 2 others like this.
  10. sam eib

sam eib Average Member

Guess she just needs something to do. If you ever heard any of her music you would probably puke.

crogers, ded i and Kelper like this.
  11. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

ant that the truth,,

crogers, ded i and Kelper like this.
  12. Bobert

There are a lot of people who share that sentiment. I'm not one of them, though. Paul McCartney recently said their demise started before she came in to the picture, and she had nothing to do with it, even after she became involved with John. The tension in the band was not caused or fueled by her and John's relationship.

On a related note, There was an interview with John where he was asked about various Beatle songs. When they asked about Yesterday, he said that was one of the songs that was all Paul's doing, but they put Lennon and McCartney on every Beatle song either one of them wrote, no matter how little either one contributed to it. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window was another one that was all Paul's. John said he didn't know anything about what inspired it, because he had nothing to do with it.

A few years ago, Paul asked Yoko if he could have just one song, Yesterday. He wanted to take John's name off of it and take full credit for it because it was all written by him. Yoko refused. I saw the interview with him, and he seemed to have the attitude that she was being selfish. I don't agree with him. I think it should stay as it was when John died, same as I do with Imagine.

If Yoko is allowed to change the credits based on what was said in an old interview, then why can't Paul get the credits to Yesterday changed, also based on an old interview? I don't think either one seems right. It's still puzzling how this can happen.

crogers, desmodus, ded i and 2 others like this.
  13. ded i

I think Yoko Ono has a lot of power, knows a lot of people, and they all want to do stuff for her because she is rich and well known in today's culture. No matter what she did, she survived and history is written by the survivors. Wealthy people with connections can do just about whatever they want if they direct enough resources at it. I think that is probably what happened.

Her art is good and her music sounds like caterwauling to western ears; it incorporates Asian elements - I don't understand, so I try not to judge it. I don't listen to it either.

Change is difficult for me. Yoko is all about change and women's rights and world unity so I suppose I shouldn't mind. She's old and wants a legacy. If she had the idea and helped with the lyrics maybe she should be able to change the credits. But I suspect it is just another example of rich people changing the world to suit themselves ... and that is becoming very tiresome.

begreen61, crogers and Bobert like this.
  14. sam eib

sam eib Average Member

I think she will be remembered as John lennons wife, hope that's good enough for her.

crogers likes this.
  15. Bobert

I think she's way more than that. Just sayin'......

crogers likes this.
  16. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

If John Lennon gave her the credit who gives a fuck weather is on writing or does she want to have some odd control over the song?, she is on her way out and maybe it means something to her, her screaming music is dope to keep racoons away from the garbage cans.

begreen61 and crogers like this.
  17. sam eib

sam eib Average Member

I'm sure she is but around these parts she probably won't be remembered for it, just my opinion.

begreen61 and crogers like this.
  18. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

Yeah, butt* it makes my neighbor's dog bark too much. :bwah:

begreen61 likes this.
  19. ded i

A lot of people think this and that's okay ... but Yoko Ono was already well known in upper reaches of the art world before she married John Lennon. She is a classically trained musician who also attended an exclusive school for the arts with the son of the Emperor of Japan, their families are related. She was an original member of the Fluxus art group and continued her very edgy conceptional art throughout her life. Her work has been featured in museums globally including the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. In the world of fine art she has achieved a level of world fame equal to that of her husband. It is so easy to write off 'the little woman' but history might actually portray John Lennon as a footnote to his wife. Seriously. lol

stdlrf11, Kelper and crogers like this.
  20. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Yes, she is royalty and for sure a talented person which makes sense John was brilliant and would be needing somebody with brains.