1. **ATTENTION** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! (Yelling/whisper voice implied there for *effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Had it with Spectrum/Time Warner

longbow Oct 12, 2017

1. longbow

longbow scratch n sniffer

So since the third week of Sept. I have been trying to get Spectrum Internet installed at our cottage for our daughter who is staying there for a few months. To say it is like pulling teeth is an understatement to say the least. Had 3 appointments scheduled and 3 no shows. Called them and it was like I was talking to myself with the CSR's. Anyways yesterday on the 4th try they showed up and hooked it up. Unreal right.

So my question is this, what is the best viable atlernative to cable TV now? With internet at our 5th wheel where we stay for 2/3rds of the year and what we pay at the cottage and our home it is well over 250 a month. I have no beef with the internet service but I would dump cable in a heartbeat at home for a decent viable alternative. What are you all happy with as far at TV goes. thanks and keepem sharp

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE likes this.
  2. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

You know you reminded me to cancel my cable ,haven't watch TV in 3 years or any news in 1 year . I hate Cable period ,they raise their prices behind your back and they are not reliable as in your case. To be honest with you if there wasn't Jerzee Devils and You tube for my studies I wouldn't need the internet and kind of hate myself for freaking out when I lose it . I wish I had an answer for you but I do have friends that have Dish TV and are just as disappointed in there services too . ,I'm sure someone here does have an answer for you ,,,,this day and age,Maybe

3. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I agree with both of you. Customer service from the cable companys is very much lacking.

We moved into our house almost 2.5 years ago and said screw cable. We did get internet after half a dozen visits from various providers. Apparently we are in some kind of dead spot. Ended up with a slow connection through the phone line.

Turns out it streams tv just fine and we pay way less. Add in the wife's Netflix and Hulu subscriptions, it's still less than 50 a month for tv and internet. Not sure how much she paid for the apple box thingy, but I'm sure the savings have long since made up for it.

4. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

Personally I love Roku. There's plenty of great programming you can choose to watch. Hooked it up to my TV I don't watch any cable now.

5. GODDESS OF VENGEANCE

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Crazy Bitch Lady Devil Super Moderator

I got the firestick a while back, but returned it. I heard horror stories about the Roku so never went that route. Then my daughter got it for me the other day. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. I've read alot of reviews that it's come a long way and is much better. I'm gonna check it out this weekend. I'll let ya know what I think of the Roku! It looks better than the firestick...time will tell.

I have satellite TV right now. It's so much better than cable, but like everything else it gets pricey especially when you have to pay for each box on top of it.

Do NOT be afraid to bitch about shitty service and ask for credits for the inconvenience. They will work with you because they don't want to lose your business!

Time Warner Cable is a joke! Bought out by Charter or some shit like that going by the name Spectrum, but the bills still say Time Warner Cable...LOL!

begreen61 likes this.
  6. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

I have roku hated it at first but more channels are popping up. We watch Amazon prime and Netflix. Now streaming YouTube is easy.
    Lots of choices now roku, firestick, and others. Lots of TV's come with built-in streaming. Only thing that sucks is football and main stream shows. Hulu has the shows but they suck a donkey dick with the ads.

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE and Kelper like this.
  7. Kelper

Roku works on a WiFi only package if you can only afford an average of 50 bucks a month. You can add as many free as you like channels it helps by telling you fees. I have it mainly for Britbox an $6.99 a month. ( This covers stuff my kids watch, spat least we have something to talk about.). Other than Britbox I like YouTube, what great stuff is on there. I haven't seen every channel I added as yet. Britboxis add free what a treat.

8. GODDESS OF VENGEANCE

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Crazy Bitch Lady Devil Super Moderator

I'm still getting use to the Roku, but it seems to be a lot that you have to pay extra for. I see some free things, but you have to be careful. I do hate how it takes time to find something to watch. I guess time will tell....

9. Kelper

I am a YouTube junkie, found some great stuff. The movie channels are challenging finding newer movies free I have trouble finding any.

10. gzb

gzb Moderator Super Moderator

I guess I fall into the "I Pay so I can Play..." camp.

Stopped drinking/smoking/drugs/gambling and other financially parasitic and unhealthy vices.
    Leaves time and $$$ for other things in Life.
    Works for me.
    It's all about *Priorities* I reckon...

begreen61 and Kelper like this.
  11. longbow

longbow scratch n sniffer

Looking into Sling TV. The only thing is you don't get the local channel broadcasts. keepem sharp